What'd you do in the snow on the last winter weekend ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I shoveled (more like hacked and scraped) my walk and drive while helping cook cornbeef and soda bread on Saturday and then got everyone up EARLY to ski Mohawk, a local area, Sunday morning. Great conditions, no lines.

Personally contributed to global warming

My car and two others (with only 1-2 people in each) drove 250 + miles RT (not to mention the driving my friends did to get to my house. We were going to Abraham and Ellen in VT only to have hiking plans A, B, C & D all fall apart. No hiking happened. I suppose it could be seen as a pretty lousy way to end the winter hiking season. But the friends I was with are pretty cool and it seems that no matter what we do it always feels like an adventure full of laughter and a lot of nuttiness!

My husband and friends skied at Mad River Glen on Sunday and said it was probably the 1st or 2nd best day of skiing he's ever had.

I left for the catskills at 8am saturday, did another CAT102 peak and then did two peaks that will be named later on sunday ;)

Main roads were find saturday and I just shoveled out the snowplow stuff in my driveway enough to get by Subaru out and left. Saw a couple of abandoned vehicles, including an 18-wheeler in the median of I-287 near Oakland, NJ and a flipped over Infinity who lost it and rolled on the 202 exit off of I-287, but traffic was clear and the main roads were good.

Jay

SherpaKroto said:
I XC skied. 364 days after my little discussion with a tree.
Congratulations ! I was actually talking to my boys about you and your accident this weekend when they dared to question the need for helmets on the ski slope !

Same town as you on Sunday, Chip. After a big breakfast Truffles and I took a leisurely snowshoe stroll along along the river in Cornwall on the AT. There were tracks before us and fresh tracks on the way back, but we never saw anyone. Spring was in the air !

Dave

SherpaKroto said:
I XC skied. 364 days after my little discussion with a tree.

Me too, of course! I encountered these beautiful Pisten-Bulley tracks:

PB.jpg

And these pretty BikeHikeSkiFish tracks:

BHSF.jpg

Along with a couple dozen snowshoe hares, some deer, and a few others I didn't recognize.

(That's Tripoli Road for those of you wondering)

;)

Tim

I slept out in the storm...doing a bit of a practice... no tent just the bag. Snowshoed out and around the area in the dark somewhere around 11 pm.. not far just enough to get the feel of it before the wet stuff started.

I got beaten down by Sunday River on Saturday, but on Sunday came back and tore up the slopes, bounced the bumps, and made my first venture down through Oz, loving every minute of it. Sunday was a 28.59 mile, 18,895' day (mileage includes lifts; vertical is ascent-only) and ibuprofen is still my friend.
:)

Goose Pond

A friend and I drove from Northford, CT to Lee, MA and snowshoed a bit of the AT. There was about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of the white stuff -- 1" of powder on top of 1/2" of crust on top of what was some nice fluff. It made for more effort than we'd hoped for; but it was still a nice day in the woods.

We saw no one else and there were no tracks at all. It was like our own piece of heaven!

Snobbed around locally... at a private ski club in Ellicottville on Saturday night with CB/Cabage dinner and Irish music and jokes. Skied out of our other local private ski club on Sunday under colbalt blue skies and near perfect conditions!! (with new skis!! :D )

Our friends are commenting that the slopes haven't been filled in weeks. Also noted that arriving at an evening ski party still daylight is a bit unusual. :)

I hiked Overlook Mt. in the Catskills and Big Slide Mt. in the Adirondacks.
In between, I practiced the piano...

Dick

I decided to ski in the backcountry off of Smuggler's Notch in some of the sweetest snow in memory! Went wipping through the woods, skiied some stream beds of foot and a half fresh pow pow, and .... tore a big hole in my ski jacket, probably from the trees. Oh well, some kick derriere skiing! I spent the afternoon bending my poor poles back into a straight line after all the beating they have taken in the trees and bumps this winter. Ain't nothing like hiking into the backcountry to ski down a couple thousand feet of unknown. I came out on top of a mini cliff once, and decided best to ski around it so they would not find my body in the springtime.....

Hiked the Hancocks late Sunday afternoon and evening; very strange snow conditions, with crusty surface near the Kanc, changing to little crust on way into the Hancocks, back to thick rain crust above about 3700 ft. So, perhaps there was a temperature inversion with warmer conditions on the summits near the end of the storm? On the Hancocks ridge the crust was almost strong enough to keep my snowshoes afloat; I needed either larger snowshoes and less weight, but could not ditch my pack because I was doing the loop. Thanks to a lone snowshoer (Andy; see NH Trail Conditions) who snowshoed up South Peak earlier in the afternoon, which allowed me to save some energy on the traverse, complete the loop, and get out with only an hour of my return trip in darkness.

Sunday I ran for an hour in the snow in my winter boots here in Conquered, NH. my poor ankle wasnt sore sunday night, but it sure is now. The crust on the snow gave my shins quite a workout.