Which Mountain to die on (was: Just curious)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
The lost hiker thread got me wondering. If the Fates determine that it is your time to go, which mountain would you least like to die on and which mountain would you like to die on. In my case, I would hate to die on Welsh, Dickey, or Smarts Brook. The embarrassment alone for my family would be too great to handle. If I had to die on a mountain, I could handle any of the Northern Presidentials provided I died saving a child holding a puppy. And you?

I would hate to die on Welsh, Dickey, or Smarts Brook.

My husband and I live in fear of being written up in Mohamed's Accidents for doing something dopey and needing a rescue! Like getting caught red-handed wearing cotton. Dropped our maps in the river, and on and on and on..... We joke anbout this on the trail.

But to answer your morbid question, MadRiver, I'd say Franconia Ridge, with Tuckerman as a close second.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I have to die in the mountains I don't really care which one; just let it be a few yards from the trailhead. I'd like to spare S&R the time and effort of a major litter carry.

-dave-

What a morbid question!

My first reaction is that I couldn't care less which mountain I die on, as I'll be dead! So what that really means is, on which mountain would I like to be FOUND dead. Same answer - don't care. If "embarrassment" (???) of my family is the benchmark, I know my death itself would be more of an issue than which mountain I died on, so same answer - I don't care. I'm not from your area, and have never heard of Welsh, Dickey, or Smarts Brook, so same answer.

I was hiking Welsh on Sunday after a few hours of skiing at WV and decide to try and find a trail that my massage therapist mentioned that runs off the back of the first ledges. I followed the trail for a few hundred yards until it totally disappeared. Not wanting to hike back up I decided to bushwhack towards Dickey’s ledges that I could see in the distance. As I was heading towards the trial I wondered what would happen if I injured myself or became incapacitated. Would anyone find me? All I could think of was that this would be a stupid place to die. Of all the mountains I have climbed there has to be a better place than this. Hence the question.

MadRiver said:
As I was heading towards the trial I wondered what would happen if I injured myself or became incapacitated. Would anyone find me? All I could think of was that this would be a stupid place to die. Of all the mountains I have climbed there has to be a better place than this. Hence the question.
You can do all the usual notification stuff, but that locks you into a preplanned route. Other approaches are GPS + cell phone/ham radio walkie talkie. Or you could purchase a PLB: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=plb&x=0&y=0

Some people prefer to disconnect from the outside world and go out on their own--take your choice.

When I am solo, I become extra careful and carry enough gear to bivy for a night.

Doug

David Metsky said:
If I have to die in the mountains I don't really care which one; just let it be a few yards from the trailhead. I'd like to spare S&R the time and effort of a major litter carry.

-dave-

Your nothing if not considerate Dave. :D :D ;)

Keith

Big Idea

Since I will live for ever I really don't think this thread applies to me, but just for fun I'll put in my choice.

I would like to be placed in a 6 foot hole just off the deck at Gray Knob Cabin. My wake could be held inside the cabin (of couse some of my family wouldn't make it).

Possibly rename the out-house where I was thrown in "Brickey Was Here Pooper".

In exchange for my primo plot I would....

I would also have both Crag Camp and Gray Knob stocked with huge amounts of good food for the caretakers.

I would have 5000 breath right strips placed in each cabin with a sorry note for all of the fellow backpackers I kept up from my snoring.

I would have a large tower constructed on the roof of Gray Knob that would contain 10,000 gallons of Capt. Morgans.

Oh and a life time suppy of air freshners for the newly named "Brickey Was Here Pooper".

I've been thinking about this for some time....

If I did, I would like to die on something in the Presidentials in the worst weather possible so it looks like I gave it all I had. I would then be found frozen in a shape of trying to continue hiking, not sitting. I would only go down in about -45 with sustained 100 mph winds and blowing snow, id like to think anyway. -Mattl

If I had to die it would be on a local mountain close to home. I've hunted and camped there since a child and now even own a woodlot on it that spans its profile. I consider it home, even though I don't live in that town anymore.

As to where I wouldn't like to die, I suppose the question is irrelevant. What's not irrelevant is making sure I've prepared to die. That means what has been said and done is all that's needed to be said and done, with no regrets.

But, I am a firm believer in my own destiny and that it's what I make of it, so I plan on living until I'm 100.

If it had to happen I would choose a big mountain like the Himalayas. Big enough and high enough that I wouldn't be retrieved.

Bondcliff!

Oh, it will definately be Bondcliff! One big run right off the 'photo op' rock. Kind of like base jumping, but without the parachute.
I of course would take all my things, so S&R would not need to retreive the body...

rhihn said:
What a morbid question!

Got that right.

My first reaction to this thread was conflicted by the reality that the imposition on others makes this scenario repulsive and fearsome. I know that there will be zero sympathy if my demise is self-inflicted and resulting from voluntary insertion into risk. If I don't win my bets, I get no "Nice try!" from the home team. And most of all, the thought of an Albert Dow on my S&R really tempers where I go and when. Death is not an option.

That said, make it a coronary at the Moats parking lot. Nice & close to the road/hospital, minimal risk to rescuers. I'm with Dave on this one.

I want to spontaneously-combust while playing my drums on Washington.

SteveHiker said:
I vote for Space Mountain.
LOL! I want to give you a green for that one... but ran out :D
A friend of mine who likes to be a mountain "tough guy" also loves going to Disney World - I think he would be torn between Space Mtn and something in the Whites :D

I don't think it is morbid.
Think about it, you presumably plan the major events in your life, jobs, where to live, where to be married, where to vacation etc... Why not this?
Lets face it, we are all going to experience this!
I guess for some people who have had to face it head on (plane crash, cancer, loosing sister to cancer, in process of loosing my father to cancer) it doesn't seem like such a morbid idea. And it certainly helps those left here to know what the wishes were for the dearly departed, even if it is only to sprinkle a few ashes.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust..