Which peak should we finish on -- Flume or Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which peak would you choose for the NH48 finish?

• Flume

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Moosilauke

Votes: 67 82.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Moose for sure. It just seems like there's no "easy" way to get to Flume. Not that any of the 3 routes is hard per-se (I went down the Flume slide at Alex's age, and don't remember it being too scary), but the Moose just seems more attractive for a variety of reasons.

If it ends up being a date other than the 22 (I've got a corporate golf outing that day), I would be interested in this and could even persuade my 2 kids to tag along for part of all of the hike.

Sorry, I'll buck the trend, while also being incredibly biased, and vote for Flume.

LOL! Fisher Cat neglects to mention that he is the maintainer of the Osseo Trail... nice try!

I vote for Moosilauke, because you are very sociable gals and you will be guaranteed to have a crowd to socialize with on Moosy. Flume, eh.. not so much.

Hey, why not the Tripyramids? :cool:
That was my vote initially, but understood Trish's reason not to finish on the Trips. The Moose gets my vote even though Flume and the Moose are about the same distant to the after party.

LOL! Fisher Cat neglects to mention that he is the maintainer of the Osseo Trail... nice try!

Curses! Foiled again! Alright Trish, at least when you do Flume use the Osseo Trail. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Keep your eyes peeled for the old lumber yard, plenty of old stuff lying around, and a number of old logging grades which descend down to the brook. Also, before you get to the switchbacks, look on the east side where there are about 6 waterbars in quick succession, just off the trail but in sight you will notice a nice seep spring hemmed in with rocks. Enjoy!

I'll be hiking on St John, USVI, or I would definately join you.
MOOSE! gets my vote.
Sandy

The Moose -- Go for it

Might be able to congratulate you guys in person. I need it for Aug.

Bob

Moosilauke--of course! I've never met you two, but might join you--I've never successfully summitted using the Benton Trail. Might be time to do it!

I'm going to buck the crowd and say Flume. Moose can have a crowd on it and i might be prejudiced as my son finished his 48 last year with the Flume/Liberty loop finishing on Liberty. I loved returning to the flume slide trail and while the peak is a small area you have the cliffs and the views to Kinsmans as well as behind to the Pemi and the Bonds. Even if you have Liberty, finish the loop and celebrate most likely with a crowd at Liberty with it's spectacular cliffs and easy walk out. Moose is very expansive with it's bald top but it reminds me too much of Monadnock with it's tourist feel! ctsparrow IMHO :)

Couldn't possibly vote for another peak than the Moose. This is the mountain that Lauky was named after. After Washington, it's the mountain I've climbed the most.

I dub you Sir Lauky of the Mountains
IMG_0013-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone!

Ed, I never made the association between the name Lauky and Moosilauke. Very cool!

Ctsparrow, I understand your points about FLume. You make excellent points, it's one of the reasons Moosilauke wasn't the immediate choice for the finish. :)

Since 'M' is slightly above tree line, it could either be better (blue sky) or worse (storms) for weather prospects.

Let's be honest, of the eight times I've been up there, at least half of them looked like this or worse

I dub you Sir Lauky of the Mountains
IMG_0013-1.jpg

But that's part of the glory and the mystique of Mooselauke.

Flume's got awesome views, but Moosilauke would just be a great place for a big group to join you on your finish, because of all the space. And wouldn't it be nice to "conquer" this one as your 48th after being turned away twice?

Thanks again, everyone, for your input!

Once our remaining pre-finish peaks are in the bag, I'll cement the date and location (looking like Moosilauke is the favorite, for now at least). Anyone who wants to join us, please do. I will be bringing a lot of Hershey Bars. Maybe I can carry Sage up there too, who knows (don't think she's ready or willing to hike it on her own yet).