White Mountain Map program, Lincoln NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
I saw this in my local paper :the Littleton Courier

It state thats Adam Apt will be presenting an illustrated program discussing the history and develpment of the maps of the white mountains. It also notes that he has the largest collection of White Mountain maps (I'm envious), and that he has written extensively on the subject and the he curated an exhibition at Harvard two years ago.

"WHITE MOUNTAIN MAP PROGRAM Tues., Nov. 18 at 7:00 pm at the Town Hall, Main St., Lincoln. Adam Jared apt will present this illustrated program discussing the history and development of maps of the White Mtns. Free and everyone welcome.Sponsored by Upper Pemigewasset Historical Society"

The misses gave me the OK, so I plan on going.
WSC

. . . he curated an exhibition at Harvard two years ago.

I went to that Harvard exhibition and it was terrific - several dozen wonderful old maps. (I posted a description in an old thread here you could find.) If he brings a good portion of those along, this will definitely be worthwhile.

I intend to be there tonight - hoping they have some maps that might show some of the Ossipees!

That was a really interesting presentation! :D

Thanks, WSC for posting about this event- I didn't even see it on the Lincoln town website. Lots of people there despite the lack of advertising. Glad I had just about finished Waterman's Forest and Crag so all the names thrown around in discussion were familiar!

thanks for the post Wsc

nice presentation with some cool maps

the history of picturing the "maps" as a tourist attraction was an interesting concept

good to hear good old uncle edward's name mentioned..(Tuckerman) as one of the folks who got it going

nice to see you there Jason

thanks for the ride rocket....

Nice to meet WSC and Jason (as well as Larry Garland) - thank you WSC for posting this!

I counted about 30 people in attendance.

maptalk.jpg

There were some great historical maps on display (not overly detailed though), as well as some neat slides, ranging from 1677 - present.

Two quasi funny things I learned:

- A version of the Fosters 1677 map labelled the White Mountains as "The Wine Hills" (originally the "The White Hills")

- There was a map called "The Most Perfect Map Ever Issued."

Didn't recognize anyone except for Steve S and a few other Lincoln locals I know... guess I'll have to learn the secret VFTT handshake for the next event! ;)

Sorry I missed saying hello, rocket and everyone :(

Didn't recognize anyone except for Steve S and a few other Lincoln locals I know... guess I'll have to learn the secret VFTT handshake for the next event! ;)

You must have been in the cheap seats. The VFTT people were sitting in the exclusive EMC Box with waitresses and a large plasma screen display of the slideshow. I sent in my butler to get that photo of the regular presentation, just so the little people would be represented, whilst the rest of us feasted on caviar and fine wines. :)

Didn't recognize anyone except for Steve S and a few other Lincoln locals I know... guess I'll have to learn the secret VFTT handshake for the next event!(

You can try saying Alligator egg(s). It will bring a responsive greeting from a VFTTer in the know, or the person will avoid you, or you'll be cuffed and transported. ;)