Wildcat - accessing via ski area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, but a hiker would be walking on the very edge, near the trees....would that help out with avoiding much of the wind, I wonder..?
Which direction is the wind coming from? How strong is the wind?

Less protected than in a forest, more protected than above timberline. The trees are taller lower on the mountain.

The answer should be obvious: somewhat and it depends.

Doug

Last edited:
KRT does not go through Kinsman Glade ski trail. A bit more than halfway up there is a fork. The more obvious path is to the right. This will lead you into Kinsman Glade ski trail.
Yes, but below this point the ski route and hiking trail coexist and crisscross for much of a mile before the skiers peel off again. I probably won't do it again in winter either.

When we did Wildcat D on Saturday 1/17/09 we chatted with Ski Patrol at the Ski Area Summit. He stated that the accessible/allowed hiking area on the mountain was the Polecat Trail.

I have hiked lots of ski areas and never been bothered (kidding)

Attachments

• Mountain Hiker-J.jpg
    Mountain Hiker-J.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 474
If you really want to have some "fun" try ascending/descending the bootleg ski/snowboard trail to the north of the Polecat trail.

We hiked the 'Cats last weekend going up the Polecat. Descending from "D" we saw some ski tracks heading off in the direction of the Polecat trail. We talked about taking that unknown ski track on the way back. We thought that maybe it was a shortcut to the Polecat and we wouldn't have to pick up all the elevation gain going back up "D". After tagging "A" and heading back to "D" that's exactly what we chose to do- head down the unknown path that we thought would take us to the Polecat trail. Were we ever wrong.

What we ended up on was a bootleg ski trail, very roughly cut, that skids steeply down the mountain. It does hook up with the Polecat where the Middle Polecat trail comes in. June called it "black diamond snowshoeing". It was very steep and rough. And in addition one had to be constantly aware of skiers or snowboarders making their way down the mountain.

I jest when I say try this bootleg ski trail because you're much better off sticking to the Polecat trail up and down. It was fun to do once but we wouldn't bother doing it again.

If you really want to have some "fun" try ascending/descending the bootleg ski/snowboard trail to the north of the Polecat trail.

We hiked the 'Cats last weekend going up the Polecat. Descending from "D" we saw some ski tracks heading off in the direction of the Polecat trail. We talked about taking that unknown ski track on the way back. We thought that maybe it was a shortcut to the Polecat and we wouldn't have to pick up all the elevation gain going back up "D". After tagging "A" and heading back to "D" that's exactly what we chose to do- head down the unknown path that we thought would take us to the Polecat trail. Were we ever wrong.

What we ended up on was a bootleg ski trail, very roughly cut, that skids steeply down the mountain. It does hook up with the Polecat where the Middle Polecat trail comes in. June called it "black diamond snowshoeing". It was very steep and rough. And in addition one had to be constantly aware of skiers or snowboarders making their way down the mountain.

I jest when I say try this bootleg ski trail because you're much better off sticking to the Polecat trail up and down. It was fun to do once but we wouldn't bother doing it again.

Great story, J&J! If I'm not mistaken, I think that trail is unofficially called the Thompson Brook Trail?

I do believe there is a way to get back to Upper Polecat with some ease without reascending all the way up to D peak...I had a line of sight on it last week and drew an arrow in the snow, but it was way too dark when I returned to that spot to give it a try (or for that matter, see my arrow :) ).

Great story, J&J! If I'm not mistaken, I think that trail is unofficially called the Thompson Brook Trail?

Officially called Thompson Brook. Multiple entries if you know what your doing. Best if you are on skis. :cool:Snow shoers could be taken out by some unknowing local crazed out of their minds.:D My suggestion would be to stick to the Polecat.:)

I do believe there is a way to get back to Upper Polecat with some ease without reascending all the way up to D peak...I had a line of sight on it last week and drew an arrow in the snow, but it was way too dark when I returned to that spot to give it a try (or for that matter, see my arrow :) ).
Definitely, before the steep pitch back up to the summit you can see the opening to the ski trail to the R and it's a short bushwhack over. I thought everybody did it.

I noticed the following today, which may be of interest (http://www.skiwildcat.com/snowreport.html):

Monday, April 20th was the final day we spun the lifts. We are now closed for skiing and riding and we thank you for being part of the legend and making the 2008/2009 season one to remember. The resort and all trails should be considered closed and not patrolled. End-of-season work and transition to summer operations is in process on the mountain and we ask that you do not hike, skin, ski, snowboard, or otherwise access any trails at this time. Please know that we operate 100% within the White Mountain National Forest and we recommend checking in with the ranger station located in Pinkham Notch regarding forest use or inquiring at the AMC Pinkham Notch visitors center to inquire about hiking up to Tuckerman Ravine located close by.

Tim

I noticed the following today, which may be of interest (http://www.skiwildcat.com/snowreport.html):

Monday, April 20th was the final day we spun the lifts. We are now closed for skiing and riding and we thank you for being part of the legend and making the 2008/2009 season one to remember. The resort and all trails should be considered closed and not patrolled. End-of-season work and transition to summer operations is in process on the mountain and we ask that you do not hike, skin, ski, snowboard, or otherwise access any trails at this time. Please know that we operate 100% within the White Mountain National Forest and we recommend checking in with the ranger station located in Pinkham Notch regarding forest use or inquiring at the AMC Pinkham Notch visitors center to inquire about hiking up to Tuckerman Ravine located close by.

Tim

Because Wildcat and Waterville ski trails are within the National Forest, I do not think that they can stop you from hiking up and down the trails, unlike Cannon, which can stop you, given that those trails are on state land. That said, hiking on ski trails during mud season is really damaging from an erosion standpoint.

Because Wildcat and Waterville ski trails are within the National Forest, I do not think that they can stop you from hiking up and down the trails, unlike Cannon, which can stop you, given that those trails are on state land. That said, hiking on ski trails during mud season is really damaging from an erosion standpoint.

When I inquired earlier this year Ski Patrol at Wildcat made a statement that it was WMNF land and they "couldn't stop me if they wanted to". Agreeing, though, that just because I have a right to do something I don't have to do it to the detriment of the trail.

Being on National Forest land doesn't mean that they can't keep you off. It all depends on the individual lease they signed, and the details vary quite a bit. Also, if they are conducting operations on the land they can keep people out for safety reasons. Wildcat (and Waterville) have been good to hikers by always allowing us to hike/climb; let's be good neighbors and respect their wishes during the transition season.

That said, hiking on ski trails during mud season is really damaging from an erosion standpoint.

Plus, Wildcat operates in the summer so right now they're going to be, for example, pulling the chairs off the summit lift and putting the gondolas on. They don't want people under the lift line when that's going on, not until everything's tested and functioning properly.

Plus, Wildcat operates in the summer so right now they're going to be, for example, pulling the chairs off the summit lift and putting the gondolas on. They don't want people under the lift line when that's going on, not until everything's tested and functioning properly.

I thought I remembered a gondola when I hiked it in August 2008. Then I was there this winter and there was no gondola and I thought I was just getting old and my brain was not working right. :rolleyes:

Tim
p.s. Why do they switch? Too hard to get off a moving chair without skis?