Winter Gathering??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mad Townie said:
Is MLK weekend set in stone for winter Gatherings? If not, how about Prezzies' Day weekend instead? A good chance of it being warmer, more daylight, more snow.

I agree with Mad Townie.....Prezzies Day weekend is perfect for a Winter Gathering in The Presidentials (Barnes Field). That way people can enjoy both events.

Pres' Day Weekend is definitely bad for me. I'm out west that whole week prior, so I'm already missing the ADK trip, I don't want to miss the Gathering, too.
*puppy dog eyes*

MichaelJ said:
Pres' Day Weekend is definitely bad for me. I'm out west that whole week prior, so I'm already missing the ADK trip, I don't want to miss the Gathering, too.
*puppy dog eyes*

I'm working Prez Day weekend and Prez day itself, then heading to the Daks for a week of winter peakbagging.

I won't be able to make this one either, but ya'all have a great time!!!!!
:D

Prez day not the best weekend for me because it's the very next weekend after the ADK winter-46 in a day/Carson day/ADKHighpeaks winter gathering/etc. weekend.

Una Dogger, you are planning a week of ADK peakbagging? Wise choice to go AFTER our event instead of before. :D

Neil said:
Prez day not the best weekend for me because it's the very next weekend after the ADK winter-46 in a day/Carson day/ADKHighpeaks winter gathering/etc. weekend.

Una Dogger, you are planning a week of ADK peakbagging? Wise choice to go AFTER our event instead of before. :D

Heh heh! Actually I am joining an AMC group for that....we all lucked out ! :D

I vote for Barnes Field...no preference as to MLK or PD weekend..either one would be cool.

Thanks Giggy for getting this going :)

-MEB

giggy said:
I donno - good ole ronnie has fairly well for himself in that dept - no? ;)

QUOTE]

Depends on your defination of "date" :p

timmus said:
Yes please, define dates (MLK and Prezzie). I'm just a canadian after all :eek:
MLK - Monday, 1/21/08, so weekend of 18-20

Prezzie day - Monday, 2/18/08, so weekend of 15-17

Good, eh?

timmus said:
Yes please, define dates (MLK and Prezzie). I'm just a canadian after all :eek:
We get Wikipedia AND Google in Canada, eh.
:D

Having a set date makes it possible for those who plan their weekends far in advance.

The advantages of MLK and Presidents weekends is that they are long weekends for many, making attendance easier and offering more hiking/skiing opportunities. On the other hand, many other events are scheduled around those weekends so there are conflicts. One conflict not yet mentioned is the fact that Baxter Park now has "opening day" the day after MLK Day,at least that was the new procedure started last year ... '08 opening day hasn't been announced on their website.

The winter gatherings I attended in New Hampshire were all in Feb. and March, which, as alrerady pointed out, offers more daylight for peakbaggers.

My vote would be for mid-late Feb. or early March ... but I don't attend winter gatherings as obsessively as the fall gatherings.

Last edited:
As Ron would himself say, "I'm game for anything, anytime, anywhere!" :D

Hey, if I can get a truck close by I'll bring a truckload of wood too :)

I'll be having a separate gathering a different weekend when as many of the "Bluffs" as possible can attend - Sherpa and Arm have already contacted me regarding putting a jam together at my place, that'll be a different post. :cool:

Mad Townie said:
So what winter weekends work for the Canayennes? :D

Varies from province to province. Ontario gets an extra long weekend in 2008 (new this year)...see below.
no such luck in Quebec though, we don't see any statutory holidays until easter. I guess a few more "mental health" days are in order. ;)

Ontario's Family Day

Ontario's Family Day-February 18, 2008 Ontario's new holiday will provide a new long weekend opportunity in the peak of Ontario's winter. Opportunities to get out and experience an extra day of winter outdoor sports such as skiing, snow tubing and WINTER HIKING :D will be a welcome additition to the list of long weekends available for Ontario residents. Long weekend will start on Friday February 15 through until February 18.

prino said:
Ontario's Family Day-February 18, 2008

Yup, that lines up exactly with Presidents' Day here in the States. In many places that week is public school vacation as well.

If...

y'all do Feb 18 (or later) the ole gray mule might hoof it up, esp. if it's in Vermonty - only been in vermonty once - just stepped across a bridge round Woodsville and back just to say i wuz thar... :D

Reactions: arm