WMNF Parking Pass Extended 10 Years. . .

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek said:
The good news for recreationists out there who remain opposed to the parking fees is that WMNF officials have or will be eliminating from the program a number of trailheads where passes were previously required. I won't list all the trailheads and/or other areas on the removal list, but they will apparently include the Hancock Overlook on the Kancamagus Highway (where the Hancock Notch Trail begins), the trailhead parking lot at Kinsman Notch (Route 112) just west of Lost River Reservation, and the Ravine Road trailhead near Dartmouth Outing Club's Ravine Lodge at the base of Mount Moosilauke."
For those who were wondering why there are still fee boxes at Hancock Overlook and Kinsman Notch, the answer is that the guy who issued the above press release wasn't authorized to do so and in fact removal of fees at those 2 sites was never authorized. Of course the FS didn't issue a corrected one. Short term parking is free at the overlook and speed hikers can see how fast they can get up Hancock & back :)

This has been posted before, but it might bear repeating.

If you plan to visit National Parks as well as National Forests around the country, it's cheaper to buy a National Parks Pass which is good for 12 months from the month it's purchased. They cost $50, but are sometimes discounted. For an additional $15, you can buy a Golden Eagle Pass. The combination of the two will get you into ANY National Park, Forest, Visitor Center, etc which charges an admission fee. If you purchase the annual WMNF pass for $20 ($25 for 2 stickers) and don't visit any other fee areas, then that's the wise choice. However, if you visit National Forests in the Rockies, the Pacific Northwest, etc which also have their own "fee demonstration projects" your New Hampshire WMNF won't do you any good - you have to buy the local pass.

Many of the National Parks cost $20 each, that adds up fast. So,... plan ahead.

If you qualify as a senior, you can buy a lifetime pass for a song. OK, maybe two songs.

Below is a snippet from a website here.

Golden Eagle

For an additional $15, a Golden Eagle hologram may be purchased and affixed to a National Parks Pass to cover entrance fees at not only national parks, but also at sites managed by the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the U. S. Forest Service, and the Bureau of Land Management. The Golden Eagle holograms are available at National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Land Management fee stations. The Golden Eagle admits the pass signee and any accompanying passengers in a private* vehicle if a park has a per vehicle entrance fee. Where a per person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Eagle admits the pass signee, spouse, children and parents. The Golden Eagle is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce use fees such as charges for camping, parking, tours, and concessions. It is valid for entrance fees only. The Golden Eagle hologram is valid until the expiration of the National Parks Pass to which it is affixed.

Last edited:
WMNF pass

Does the national parks pass go on your windshield like the WMNF pass--or is it a card that you place on the dashboard??

Nppass

Mine is a laminated ID card size thingy that came in a plastic holder to hang it on your mirror. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle as needed. Since I am of advanced age, I paid $10 for life. I spent two months at NF campgrounds two years ago at half price thanks to the "Golden Age" pass.

Kevin Rooney said:
If you plan to visit National Parks as well as National Forests around the country, it's cheaper to buy a National Parks Pass which is good for 12 months from the month it's purchased. They cost $50, but are sometimes discounted. For an additional $15, you can buy a Golden Eagle Pass. The combination of the two will get you into ANY National Park, Forest, Visitor Center, etc which charges an admission fee. If you purchase the annual WMNF pass for $20 ($25 for 2 stickers) and don't visit any other fee areas, then that's the wise choice. However, if you visit National Forests in the Rockies, the Pacific Northwest, etc which also have their own "fee demonstration projects" your New Hampshire WMNF won't do you any good - you have to buy the local pass.

Many of the National Parks cost $20 each, that adds up fast. So,... plan ahead.[/I]

I see it as a system to keep more people out of the National Parks. It works for me, I'm not about to spend $20 just to visit Acadia once or twice a year. The Whites are enough as I hike there often in the winter, but I don't visit other areas, including the State parks, as a matter of principle.

I have been buying two annual passes for $25 for the past few years. My brother and I split the cost and we each get an annual pass for our vehicle. If 85% of the fees go back to WMNH programs I am pretty happy with that. For the same reason, I also belong to the AMC. I know the AMC spends a lot of money on different programs, but I figure that at least some of my membership fee goes to trail maintenance and hiker used facilities.

WMNF pass

Here's a link to the 2000 admin costs. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/white/recre...2000_report.pdf

It's less than 15% of the program. I don't know if that's considered high or low for a program of this size.

-dave-

I couldn't find infomation stating where the money from the passes is used. I was told that it does not necessarily go back to maintain NH trails and forests. Does anyone know if this is true?

skibones said:
I couldn't find infomation stating where the money from the passes is used. I was told that it does not necessarily go back to maintain NH trails and forests. Does anyone know if this is true?
That's not true. All the money stays in the WMNF for projects or administrating the program.

The links have changed:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/Page_4_charts_fy2000_report.pdf
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/2003_fee_demo_report.pdf

Many of the projects are directed at trailhead facilities, but also include trailwork and education programs. The last report available online is 2003.

-dave-

Lawn Sale said:
I see it as a system to keep more people out of the National Parks. It works for me, I'm not about to spend $20 just to visit Acadia once or twice a year.

Since we can all agree (I hope) that National Parks are underfunded, I disagree with this. It's a system to support/save beautiful areas that need to be supported/saved. I'm not going to launch in a political debate here, but our tax dollars are going to things that we wouldn't all necessarily agree with, so I have no problem dropping a couple extra bucks to help the National Parks and other places. I would also argue that socio-ecomonics would tell us that people who truly can't afford the National Park fees are less likely to visit these places. (Something I think needs to be addressed and changed.)

Lawn Sale said:
The Whites are enough as I hike there often in the winter, but I don't visit other areas, including the State parks, as a matter of principle.

That's too bad. You're missing out on a lot of great places.

Lawn Sale said:
I'm not about to spend $20 just to visit Acadia once or twice a year.

just an fyi, the $20 fee (or however much it is now) is only for about 1.5 miles on the park loop road at acadia (the fee area includes sand beach and thunder hole). you can walk to those areas without paying a fee by coming in to the loop road at otter cliffs road if you like, or by parking at anemity cave parking. The rest of the loop road is free, and the rest of the park is free (um, excluding camping and food of course :D )

trailbiscuit said:
so I have no problem dropping a couple extra bucks to help the National Parks and other places.

another fyi, when the fees first began at acadia national park, they stated that 100% of the fees would go to acadia. That ended up being a farce. Though I don't have the exact numbers, Acadia unfortunately sees very little of the money coming from the fees. :(

danno said:
just an fyi, the $20 fee (or however much it is now) is only for about 1.5 miles on the park loop road at acadia (the fee area includes sand beach and thunder hole). you can walk to those areas without paying a fee by coming in to the loop road at otter cliffs road if you like, or by parking at anemity cave parking. The rest of the loop road is free, and the rest of the park is free (um, excluding camping and food of course :D )

Yes, you can get to much of the park without paying the fee (though you are "encouraged" by the park servce to get a pass). According to the park service web site 80% of the fee goes back to ANP, which I believe is a higher percentage that at other National Parks. http://www.nps.gov/acad/pphtml/fees.html

The Friends of Acadia website also notes the ~80% return from the park service fee.

For those who do not wish to pay the NP fee, may I suggest a donation to Friends of Acadia http://www.friendsofacadia.org/about.shtml

They are a non-prof that does a fair amount of trail maintenance in the park.

Last edited:
In part b/c so many of us (including me) avoid paying the fee by staying away from the one lurking gate, the park has had to cut services yet again.

shame on us...

I finally gave in and bought a park pass this year, even though I rarely go through that section of park.

spencer

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/june-july2004/sucks.htm
At the Maroon Bells in Pitkin County, Colorado, the Forest Service has built a toilet for $1.6 million but has to charge a fee because they say they don’t have the funds for toilet paper.

And let's not forget all the subsidies paid to the timber companies to improve their infrastructure- probably even more than the fees collected...

agreed, skepticism is good, but read it before judging it. There are lots and lots of other sites listing specific facts, not enough room to list them here. Do a little research...I've seen the beautiful log cabin toilet on the Kanc personally, how much do you think that baby cost to build? Very nice but wasteful, geared to the RV crowd.

David Metsky said:
That's not true. All the money stays in the WMNF for projects or administrating the program.

The links have changed:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/Page_4_charts_fy2000_report.pdf
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/passes/2003_fee_demo_report.pdf

Many of the projects are directed at trailhead facilities, but also include trailwork and education programs. The last report available online is 2003.

-dave-

I thought I had read recently in Backpaker Mag, or maybe AMC Outdoors that the newly revised Fee plan, in effect this Fall, all fees collected at each trail head would thus be dedicated for that site trailhead specifically.
WMNF would not be allowed to direct the collected funds for use elsewhere, except for the Adim costs, as noted earlier.

Jeff

Bob said:
agreed, skepticism is good, but read it before judging it. There are lots and lots of other sites listing specific facts, not enough room to list them here. Do a little research...I've seen the beautiful log cabin toilet on the Kanc personally, how much do you think that baby cost to build? Very nice but wasteful, geared to the RV crowd.

OK, read it again, now can I refer back to my previous comment? :D

danno said:
another fyi, when the fees first began at acadia national park, they stated that 100% of the fees would go to acadia. That ended up being a farce. Though I don't have the exact numbers, Acadia unfortunately sees very little of the money coming from the fees. :(

Could be true. That would be a big bummer. But, since none of us actually see the balance sheet, we can't say for sure. I like to think that the money comes back to the park. And, in many instances it sounds like it does, as chipc pointed out, same with the WMNF Parking Pass Program. But, again, I only know this from someone who talked to someone who knows someone who saw Ferris at 31 Flavors last night...so, it's not exactly reliable.

Of course, if there's anyone out there that can show us the paper trail... :D