You know you are a peakbagger when

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.....you have climbed more mountains than have dollars in your bank account.

When you have a list of the official start of winter for the next 5 years taped to your computer monitor (probably doesn't apply to you NY types).

No, not all of us at least. Although, I do have the date/time of the solstice for the next three years in my W111 spreadsheet next to the corresponding years....:D

.....you have climbed more mountains than have dollars in your bank account.

Sometimes depending on ones chosen profession the amounts are very close.[if you even do bank accounts]I have a personal loan to finish my ne 67,which is now tapped with 2 peaks left.Thank the lord for my large supply of canned food in my car to help me eat and maybe get me to the Adks......:)

When you have a whole room in your condo with lists and maps all over it that your girlfriend wont even go in.The room also doubles as a hiking,winter hiking and camping equipment room.

When a key part of your retirement plan includes a month-long cross country highpointing trip. ;)
Go for it but you're gonna need more time than that because for every highpoint there are also more noteworthy trails and peaks in just about every part of the country.

As for me, after the NE 100 Highest I'm no peakbagger any more ... 'cept for the checkmarks and redlines in the Adirondacks, Baxter Park, Yellowstone Park, Colorado Plateau, Texas, Florida springs (yeah, paddling is part of the lists, too) etc. etc. etc.

I know I'll never finish most of these "lists" but it's fun working on them. Every hike inspires another and bridges across rivers inspire some geographical and historical research.

You finished the 48 on West Bond because you know only a few people have done that...

I know someone who finished her 48/67/115 simultaneously on West Bond. It's a righteous final peak!

Does anyone have the finishing peak statistics?

You know you're a peakbagger when.......

-When you get up on a weekday morning, pack your backpack, load up your gear in the truck, start driving to a trailhead, and realize you're suppose to be at work........ooops!

-Your drive time to a remote peak is greater than the hike time, and it doesn't bother you......

-When you're the only one at the gym wearing a weighted backpack on an inclined treadmill......I hate the gym....

-When 95% of your Web bookmarks are hiking forums, gear websites, and the other 5% are sports injury websites (adjust ratio with age as needed)........

-When every year for Christmas, without asking, everyone in your family sends you EMS giftcards.......

-When you leave early at a great party -the night before a hike, because you don't want to be too hungover the next day (All right, that doesn't happen that often)......

-When you already own 4 backpacks, and with very little argument, convince yourself you need a 5th.......

-When your footwear collection consists of a dozen pairs of hiking boots/shoes and one pair of dress shoes or heels (Not, that there is anything wrong with that!).....

oh, there is no end..........it's the burden we must carry :)

Petch

when your husband is forced to create a special program to convert your peak bagging excel worksheets so they will be MacBook Air compatible....

Coulda just sent them to a gmail account. GoogleDocs converts them for you.

Some guys will do anything for brownie points :p

Coulda just sent them to a gmail account. GoogleDocs converts them for you.
Some guys will do anything for brownie points :p

Yup! And the secret code I put in the spreadsheet will randomly delete peaks ... from April!

But I'd never invoke that. ;)

You know you're a peakbagger when.......

-When you get up on a weekday morning, pack your backpack, load up your gear in the truck, start driving to a trailhead, and realize you're suppose to be at work........ooops!

-Your drive time to a remote peak is greater than the hike time, and it doesn't bother you......

-When you're the only one at the gym wearing a weighted backpack on an inclined treadmill......I hate the gym....

-When 95% of your Web bookmarks are hiking forums, gear websites, and the other 5% are sports injury websites (adjust ratio with age as needed)........

-When every year for Christmas, without asking, everyone in your family sends you EMS giftcards.......

-When you leave early at a great party -the night before a hike, because you don't want to be too hungover the next day (All right, that doesn't happen that often)......

-When you already own 4 backpacks, and with very little argument, convince yourself you need a 5th.......

-When your footwear collection consists of a dozen pairs of hiking boots/shoes and one pair of dress shoes or heels (Not, that there is anything wrong with that!).....

oh, there is no end..........it's the burden we must carry :)

Petch
oh my god...too funny!!!..

for the record I wear inovates to work and all but the most important meetings..

the shoe thing was out of hand last year..this year better..only got 3 new ones...

I was in Lahouts a bit ago..Andrew was selling a pack to a guy that wanted ONE pack..knowing me he turned and said.."you get out alot..what do you use"
sheepishly I looked to the floor..said I had 4 different and distinct Ospreys..and that they all get used...and I like the look of that 40 right there....:eek:
and on and on it goes.....

A few years ago, someone posted that they spent > $20,000 to climb the 115.

Being from Western Pennsyltucky, I might have spent $20 Gs between me and my son if it weren't for our timeshare accomodations.

Also...

You know you are an extreme peakbagging sicko when you hike/run as fast as you can over as many peaks as you can in a day, swear you'll never do it again, and then do it again anyway. Insane people keep repeating the same dumb things over and over and over and over... :D

Puma concolor said:
When a key part of your retirement plan includes a month-long cross country highpointing trip.

Go for it but you're gonna need more time than that because for every highpoint there are also more noteworthy trails and peaks in just about every part of the country.

Already got 45 in the bag. Next July, I hope to add the 4 Pacific Northwest HPs. Deep into planning. :)

I'd like to see the breakdown. The biggest expense for the WM4s (aka NH48) is gas. Same for the NE67 and NEHH, although both of these probably require a motel as well.

Tim

Easy to rack up the $ if you include needing to buy a new suitable car....or trashing a car along the way.

....You start the next list before you finsish the last one.

You make your own list after you finish all the other lists you have.

You bring one pair of boots for each day of a 5 day trip so wet boots won't limit your peakbagging.

You evalaute trip success by peaks per day and peaks per trip stats.

And perhaps the most hardcore one I heard.....

you fall down and break your arm on the first peak of a multi peak route and seriously consider if you can continue on to get the remaining peaks vs turning back. (that one comes from Lee Barry)