Cell Phone on Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beverly

Reaction score
First cell phone call from top of Everest

I guess it was inevitable :eek:

Hi. This is Rod. Making the world’s highest phone call on the 21st of May," he said, his voice thin and gasping from the lack of oxygen at 29,035ft (8848m). “I’ve got no idea what time it is."
Like buses, trains and supermarkets, the world's highest peak, unconquered until 1953, is now within the pale of mobile phone coverage thanks to a China Telecom mast installed at the base camp in Rongbuk, just 12 miles from the summit.
So - you finally make it to the top of Everest, and there is some guy gabbing into a cell phone. You hope to make it safely off the mountain before this guy comes along:
Mr Baber's call is one of several stunts planned for the current Everest climbing season, during which 550 people are expected to reach the summit. Last week Bear Grylls, a former British soldier, flew a powered paraglider over the top while Wim “Iceman” Hof, a Dutchman who claims to have a special ability to withstand the cold, is attempting to reach the top of the peak wearing just shorts, boots, gloves and a cap.
What's next? Unleashed dogs on the summit? :D :D :D

That article mentions Bear Grylls, the silly british dude from Man vrs Wild... Is he filming something like Man w/ Paraglider vrs Everest soon?

Jay

I'm picturing the typical indignant professional cell phone hater, standing on top of Everest, secretly wanting to slip the cell phone jockey a few Jacksons so he too can call his wife.....and hating himself for it. Oh, the dilemma.

amstony said:
Have they started selling and checking for parking stickers at the Everest trailhead parking lot yet? :p

That would be a first too............

No, but don't even think about mooning that cell tower :D

Last edited:
amstony said:
Have they started selling and checking for parking stickers at the Everest trailhead parking lot yet? :p

That would be a first too............
That's coming. They are working on the auto road now. :D

I've got to say, I have my doubts this is for real. I dont hear much wind at all from that call, and from everything that has been said about Everest, isn't it quite windy up there? Sorry to be a bit cynical, but..

Communication on expeditions of that magnitude are key. Having a cell phone option is a good thing IMO. They are WAY cheaper than a Sat phone and your going to see and hear people communicating with base camp and family via CB radios, 2 way radios, lap tops, and Sat phones regardless...

And as giggy pointed out, that 1-900 option wouldn't be a bad one if you are stuck in your tent for 72 hours straight... :D

Last edited: