Map Waterproofing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Graham

Reaction score
I in SAR and am looking to waterproof a large number of maps (70). I have seen the waterbased map treatment available in hiking stores, but I would need about a dozen of those and they are expensive. I was wondering if anybody knows if this treatment is available in gallons and also if another product, such as waterborne lacquer or waterborne matte polyurethane would be essentially the same product. I am planning on coating them with a foam roller and they have to be quick drying waterbased, I cannot store 70 maps 24 hours while an oil product dries. Thanks.

I have found the best way to waterproof maps is use clear contact paper. You can get it at Wal-mart. Contact paper is a like a large roll of tap you just stick it to both sides of the map and then cut the edges but not right along the map leave a little overhang. I do this to all my USGS maps and non waterproof ones. It works great and makes the map a little more durable. For a little extra protection throw it into a zip lock.

Well, I easily avoid the drying time on my topo maps because I rub in parafin wax. But with 70 maps you would be up all night, have carpel tunnel syndrome, and tennis elbow.

Regular white economy candles or canning wax works great. And in a pinch (at least the borders) make great firestarting material.

Ditto on a gallon of Thompson's, apply to both sides and let hang in a garage on clothsline with clothes pin.

Make sure you coat both sides, but do a small corner or older similar map first, let it dry and test with some water, before using it on the good maps. It will not completely waterproof them, but will make them extremely water resistant.

I honest;y beleive that nothing will really truly protect your map if it is not tyvek, when using all day long on a wet rainy day, folding and unfolding it, unless you either:
- use 2-gallon freezer bags and fold your map so that you can maximize looking at both sides of the map before you have to open and refold.
- Use think of one of the larger heavy duty map cases that kayakers use and just roll it up and keep it in your jacket.

FWIW, Walmart now sells 2-5 gallon ziplock bags - I beleive a whole map folded in half is veiwable through the bag. I saw them about a month ago over in the camping section.

----------
This courtesy of Gorp.com
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/ics/cam_rtes.htm

"....Finally, waterproof your maps with a chemical preparation. I've had good luck with"Storm proof," (write the Martensen Co., P.O. Box 261, Williamsburg, VA 23185), and "Thompson's Water Seal"-an industrial strength compound that's used for sealing concrete block. You'll find Thompson's Water Seal on the shelves of most hardware stores in aerosol cans and tins. I buy it by the quart and apply it to maps and journals with a polyurethane foam varnish brush. The product also does a fine job of waterproofing hats and clothing. Water-resistant maps should be further protected by sealing them inside a plastic map case. "
----------

When I usually do centuries I'll stick the cue sheets in gallon food storage bags, but when I'm out bike touring, I typically simply use clear packing tape and just tape the whole cue sheet (usually fairly small anyway). the packing tape is pretty waterproof, unless you accidentally mis a spot, and even so, if the paper gets wet, it wont smear the ink anyway and you can still read it.

However, doing 70 of them is probably a lot of work. I would try the Thompson's and test it of course before you really need one... Murphy's Law, ya know.. :)

jay

Artist supply stores sell a spray fixative(?). I used it a few years back to preserve an inch-thick slab of a punky carpenter ant colony. Don't know how effective it would be for waterproofing maps but it sure is easy to apply.

Fixative tends to adhere to the surface of paper and rubs offs (you can feel the texture of it after applying it). It may offer some sort of smudge protection, but a zip loc should still be used.

That's my dated art school experiance with fixative, I doubt the technologly has changed much.

For do it yourself maps B&W or color laser prints/copies are waterproof as far as the ink goes.