In Memoriam - Sunny "the Wonder Dog".

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
This site, under ordinary circumstances, is usually a happy place to exchange positive thoughts and ideas. Sadly, today, marks a moment that I feel I must be observed.

Sunny%20Candid%20Shot.jpg

It is with great sadness that I report to you that a 4-legged Adirondack legend has passed to that great wilderness area in the sky. Many of you know Spencer (Peak-Bgr), and more importantly his amazing faithful companion Sunny. Anyone that has hiked, bushwhacked, or attended one of the numerous gatherings at Spencer's home, know exactly who Sunny is.

Without going into too much detail, Sunny "the wonder dog" (as most of us called her), passed to glory on the afternoon of December 5, 2007. I have had the pleasure of going on several hikes with Sunny (all bushwhacks), and if it is possible to be "inspired" by a dog, I can say that I was. I know many of us have our own "Sunny" memories, and I wanted to provide the opportunity for all of us to recall those pleasant days as tribute to her.

For those that do not know, please allow me to share a few details. Sunny (to me) was a 4-legged hiking legend. She hiked 98 of the ADK100 highest. She needed only Wolf Pond and Noonmark to finish the list. She would have long ago finished, but as any faithful companion would do, she waited for her master to seek permission to climb (private) Wolf Pond. Now, as a dog, she did not care about the list, but what she did care about was pleasing her master and being "out in the woods" with him, and at that, she had NO EQUAL. On the days, I was with her I saw a unique happiness in her was truly an amazing display of the genuine affection that an animal can have for her owner. I can only hope to have the same relationship with my "pets" as Sunny did with Spencer (and Maddy/family).

The most wonderful memories I have with this wonderful dog are the "special lunches" we shared on so many remote summits. I would pack extra food to share with you, and your guiding presence somehow made me feel safe out there........... in the untamed Adirondack Wilderness.

.... And for that, I thank you. I love you Sunny, and someday when I make that great bushwhack in the sky, I hope that you'll meet us all and "show us the way" just the way you did here on this earth.

To Spencer, Maddy and family...... We grieve with you, and we are with you in this time of sadness. Please let us know what we can do to help you in this time of sadness.

Feel free to add pictures, a story or general memorial to this magnificant girl.

Here's one of my favorite shots of me and Sunny on Cheney Cobble

IMG_0514.JPG

If you've ever had a dog you know what Sunny's family is going through.
I've had so many great memories with Sunny I couldn't get them all. Just a few...

Watching her follow Spencer thru impossibly thick stuff and trusting him to find a way for her up thru the cliffs....Going all day when she was past exhaustion and then going more....Getting to Spencer's house early in the morning, Sunny out in the Jeep, waiting with the gear, eyes bright with the day's anticipation....Her sleeping wet head in my lap after a long day...
Spencer buying a bunch of post-hike burgers at Stewarts and Sunny eating half....and maybe my favorite picture of her, asleep on the seat of the Jeep after a long day, a photo titled 'pooped'.

Bon voyage, girl. You'll be missed by many.

This from a card someone sent when my old dog passed away a few years ago:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Last edited:
my condolences to sunny's loving family. sounds like she had a fabulous life, hiking in the woods and the mountains. for a dog, it does not get better than that, and she will continue on the other side of the rainbow bridge with all our beloved companions who have departed. love from me and our 3 wolves

I am so sad reading this and looking at all the beautiful pics.
I extend to you my deepest sympathy.
I don't think Sunny could have had a better life.

Words of "Quakers" written by Elaine Seamens on his passing-1998

When you light a candle
think of me
in the bright white light
happy and free
able to be
and able to soar along side you
in every moment
in every day.
Know that I have not left you
I am only a call away
in you heart
I will stay.

I did a seach in my hiking folder for Sunny pictures. Apologies to Michael J and Jo. There are 3 or 4 in here that are yours that I liked so much I had copied to my computer and inadvertently copied. Didn't realize until I uploaded the photos.

These are a compendium of trips and Sunny memories. In some she is prominent, others you'll have to look for her. What I wanted to show is how integrated she was in all of these hikes, events and with her family and friends.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=avk6ugum.4maiubfa&x=0&y=f7ipa2

Alan

It's sad to see a good dog go; yet wonderful to see hear of a live lived to its fullest. Condolensces to all who loved and will miss this remarkable dog.

There is nothing more loyal that a good dog, they are the nobleist of gods creatures. I am reminded of the saying "God make me the man that my dog thinks I am". Don't forget to put a present for her under the tree.

My deepest condolences to Sunny's family and friends.

I never met her, but looking at her photos here, and reading the tributes from people she touched, she seems to have lead a charmed life - and to have been a blessing to those who knew her. May the memories she left behind be a source of comfort and joy.

Sunny, too

I never met this Sunny, either, but his wonderful spirit (as seen and expressed in the words of others) seems to shine through in the variety of photos. And, too, the resemblance to my own Sunny, who has been gone now for two years, is remarkable. May your many happy memories keep you strong in your sorrow.

Spence and Maddi, so sorry to hear about your lost, my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I had the pleasure to meet Sunny twice in your backyard, my fondest memories of her was when she went after my plate, and then gave me that innocent look. And her beautiful smile. What a good dog.

Thank You

Spencer (PEAK_BGR) and I would like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts at this time. We are sorry it has taken us this long to post, but emotions have been running a little haywire lately.

We had the pleasure of living with Sunny for 7 1/2 years. She was 1 1/2 to 2 years old when we brought her home and she allowed us to become her family.

I am a cat person (don't ask me what that means :confused: ). I love that cats are low maintenance, that they are pretty self sufficient and more importantly that they cuddle and purrrrrrrrrr. So, when I started to hear the petition for a dog I rolled my eyes. "But you won't have to do a thing" & "I'll take care of everything-I promise" (from Spence not the kids!!!!!!) eventually wore me down. In all honestly Spencer had a crazy work schedule and his days off when he could hike never seemed to match up with anyone elses and I didn't like the thought of him hiking solo. Not to mention that I had put a big crimp in our hiking plans (completing the 46) by becoming pregnant.

So I spoke to a local shelter and was dead honest about my expectations. Good with kids, never bites, won't eat or chew things they shouldn't- EVER, won't go to the bathroom in my house, won't scare my father who is deathly afraid of dogs, won't howl or bark annoyingly, must have a personality, be sweet, loving, strong for hiking, short haired, not picky about what they eat, not a puppy but not old either and so on. I figured no dog could fulfill this unreasonable laundry list. I figured I was safe from ever owning a dog and I also was getting off the hook with Spencer by "looking" for the perfect dog. Because he deserved a perfect dog, right?

Well surprise, surprise. Along came Sunny. She not only rose to my expectations of a perfect dog but far exceeded them. She also taught me that you don't own dogs, they own you. She wrapped herself around my heart and her loss has been devastating. It all happened so fast and there was no time to prepare.

I would like to thank everyone for the photos and memories you have shared of Sunny. You all are right the memories are what pull you through.

Some of my fondest memories are afternoon naps with Sunny. The latter stages of my pregnancy with Emily and Sunny and I sharing a sleeve of Ritz crackers at 3Am (1 for her & 1 for me). Sunny using her powerful jaws to carry entire trees around in our backyard. She loved tug of war. She loved to snuggle on the couch. Her smile. I could go on forever but it doesn't seem appropriate.

It has been amazing to hear how many lives Sunny has interacted with. I know this time is hard on my household but let me add my brother Brian (BUSHWHACKER) into the mix. Sunny loved him second only to Spencer. The sound of his voice, the sight of him or even just his vehicle would send Sunny's tail into overdrive. When Spencer, Brian and Sunny hiked- Sunny was in her glory. That is what made Sunny truly happy. We always joked she should be twice as tired as anyone else hiking because between running back and forth between different hikers she probably more than doubled her mileage for any given trip.

Again let me thank you all for your support. I believe Spencer will be planning a memorial hike in May. On May 23, 2000 Sunny climbed her first mountain (Mt Hamlin if I remember correctly) it is also the day she became a member of our family.

I'll leave you with this:

Somewhere in the majestic mountains,
Under bright and clear blue skies,
Next to fields of flowers and ferns,
Near cool flowing streams,
You are happy, healthy and hiking.

PS I case you haven't noticed- I am also a dog person.

Last edited:
HIATIS said:
Somewhere in the majestic mountains,
Under bright and clear blue skies,
Next to fields of flowers and ferns,
Near cool flowing streams,
You are happy, healthy and hiking.

That is beautiful, Maddi. I will never forget how Sunny stood by a full plate of steaks at the Gathering and never once tried to counter-surf. You certainly got the world's-greatest-dog in Sunny -- and gave her a full life.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Nice, I've been away from the site for nearly a month... and get back to this just in time to hear about Sunny...

Sweet dog and happy in any situation from my observations! This is all hard on the adults, but I remember losing a family dog at age 8 and found it really difficult. Actually, it wasn't much easier losing one at age 48, either.

Dogs bring us so much enjoyment and love into our lives. My best to all. Happy memories.