Traditional Fall Gathering 2009?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
So folks, what is the interest level in the traditional fall gathering? The normal dates have been the 3rd week of September which would be Sept 19th and the 20th. Pushing it forward a week would run it into the Flags on the 48 weekend, pushing it back to the 26th and 27th moves it real close to leaf season in the whites and the inevitable rainy stretch that seem to coincide with leaf season.

The tradition had been to rotate it to different locations in the northern new england. The ones I can remember off hand have been in Eustus Maine (Cathedral Pines, site of the first gathering and one subsequent gathering), White Mountains (White Birches in Shelburne and Crawfords Notch Campground), Vermont (Gifford Woods near Killington and one other location), NY ( the Catskills) and a few others that I cant remember offhand but Stan, Chris, Pat and Audrey could probably fill in. For some reason, I do not believe the ADK's have been honored with a Gathering, mostly due to the long drive for the membership base which tends towards southern NH and Mass, although the BBQ has become an excellent defacto event. Over the years, Eustis has been well attended due to the proximity of the Six Pack of 100 highest peaks and the closeness to the cluster of 4000 footers in the area. The White Mountain events have also tended to be popular with Vermont somewhat less.

Originally, the event was a hiking weekend that morphed into a hiking and music weekend. Unfortunately, as the event got bigger and more complicated, it took almost a full time organizer to set up the event and inevitably the organizers got burnt out. The last event in 2008 at Shelburne White Birches Campground was a last minute event which intentionally went back to the roots of the event mostly as a way of reducing the need for a major organizing effort. Unfortunately it too also had a 10 PM quiet time ;).

Unless someone wants to step up and organize a full blown event, I suggest that this years event be similiar to the White Birches event where a block of adjacent campsites are picked at a commercial campground and if folks want to attend make reservations. This most likely woudl impose a quiet time although the Eustis group campsite appeared to be far enough away that the infamous "man with the belt buckle" didnt visit.

With that I leave it to the crowd for comments

Editied the date (thanks)

Last edited:
The ADK's did have a gathering, when Cave Dog came to visit and hike with us.

Pat and I would very much enjoy going, and the traditional weekend dates are good for us. We've been distracted by other stuff and it would be great to reconnect and meet some new folks too.

Personally, peakbagger, I love your neck of the woods, with hiking possibilities galore. The Presies never disappoint.

pb, are you talking about dates next month (Sept 19-20 is a weekend on my calendar) or next year? The thread title says 2010, but you refer to "this year's" event.

I can has confuses. :confused:

BoB votes to "Get Useless in Eustis"

It was my first gathering...

pushing it back to the 26th and 27th moves it real close to leaf season in the whites and the inevitable rainy stretch that seem to coincide with leaf season.
the best season of all.

I'd be down for Shelburne again - especially if we can get a hammered dulcimer and a mandolin to show up again. That was awesome. Hammerdee...miehoff...you still out there???

- darren

I'll vote for Eustis - that way Una_dogger can get #100 (Chain of Ponds Snow) right up the road. :D

I'll vote for Eustis - that way Una_dogger can get #100 (Chain of Ponds Snow) right up the road. :D

I need Chain of Ponds Snow as well as Kennebago and other Maine NEHH, so Eustis would be great for Gail and I as well! :)

Since Shelburne is in the "backyard" I will be biased and put my vote in for Eustis, but I hope some others will chime in with new locations.

I realize its a PITA for folks from "down south" to make it there but I just really like that area of Maine. With the "Six Pack" nearby to the North and the batch of 4000's and NEHH to the south( all with interesting logisitics that makes it good for group hikes and car spots) its hard to beat. Another plus is that the 4k's in the area are on the list for folks who have graduated from the NH list. The group campsite we used one year also had the plus that there were no neighbors to complain. Heck I even offer to bring my sawzall and a couple of batteries so we can cut up some of the scrap on top of Reddington and start hauling down the mess that was left up there. ;)

I'd vote for Eustis as well. I've done so little hiking up there that it's like new to me anyways.

I'll vote for Useless in Eustis as well. One of the BEST gatherings to date. Especially since I didn't need to be "rescued" by Bubba. :D

I'll be there no matter where it is but Eustice has sentimental appeal. By the way, where were all you wusses this past week at G-10 in the Canadian Rockies? It's been great weather out here with a couple evening showers that helped clean the air of that smoke from the BC fires. Too many hiking opportunities for just 9 days but we'll be back ... hopefully for the real G-10.

Cool. But hope to finish the 6 pack next week. A trip to Ktaadn (my last NE 4000 ftr) is long from there..