Moosilauke-Sarah's 48th-Ravine Lodge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sherpa John

OK folks... I'll try and make this painless. Sarah has 7 left as of this posting, 6 after sunday (god willing). I am trying to start the planning for her 48th. She plans to finish her quest on top of Moosilauke on Saturday, June 11th. Lets start with.. You are ALL invited.

Over the last few months there has been great discussion on who is coming and we made a decision (despite the flack we'll get for a large group) to try and set a VFTT record for most people on an individuals 48th peak. So, if your willing and able.. I sincerely invite you to mark your calendars and join us. Not to take anything away from anyone else's accomplishments but I think it says something for the courage Sarah has in hiking with diabetes.. this goes for anyone else with the affliction.

Ok.. now the Question:

I want to have a gathering place for after the hike where we all can gather and share in a BBQ and a celebration. Where are some good places? I was truly wondering, since I've never been to Ravin Lodge, how many people can Ravine Lodge accomodate? Is there a place there for a BBQ? How do I make reservations?

If this does not sound feasible.. does anyone have any good ideas for a place?

I appreciate the help folks and again.. if you wanna be apart of it as well.. feel free to add your yea below.

Sherpa John :eek:

The Lodge holds about 90 I think.

call 603.764.5858 after about May 15th. or you can call 603.646.1607 now and ask if they'll make a reservation.

please don't congregate a zillion people on the summit. it's distasteful at best.

A lot of people have worked hard over many years to keep people reined in on the summit and I'd be willing to bet you couldn't keep a large group like that off the vegetation, no matter how hard you tried.

spencer

Another Moosilauke veteren here, please don't try for a mass congregation on the summit. A big group is fine, especially if you approach from different trails so as not to have a massive group working its way up the mountain, but don't try for any records on the summit. Large groups have a way of trashing the area even if they have no intention of doing so. I've certainly been guilty of being a member of a large group, but there's no need to set out trying to be the largest. It's really not in keeping with Dartmouth's stewardship of the land.

The Lodge can host a large group for dinner, probably 90+. But if you want exclusive use of the place you'll probably have to make reservations for the night as well. Call early, since once reservations come in for individuals it's hard to get the entire place.

Congrats to Sarah on her pending 48th. I can't think of a better place to celebrate the occasion.

-dave-

Sherpa John said:
we made a decision (despite the flack we'll get for a large group) to try and set a VFTT record for most people on an individuals 48th peak.

IMO, this is a bad decision. I know that there have been some very large groups in the past for VFTTers finishing. I was involved in one of those hikes, but I chose to take a different trail to the summit and in fact missed the group at the top. I did, however, have a good time when I got down.

I guess my point is - its great to share something like this with other people. But making plans with the intention of having a very large group on the summit is in poor taste. There is no VFTT "record" on the number of people celebrating a finish, and for good reason. By setting a record, you are encouraging someone else to try to break that record. It is the same reason that the AMC doesn't recognize a speed record for the 48. Its the same reason that the ATC doesn't recognize a speed record for the Appalachian Trail.

So please, invite those that you would like to share this moment with you. But I would hope that you reconsider your intention to have the biggest group possible.

chomp said:
There is no VFTT "record" on the number of people celebrating a finish, and for good reason. By setting a record, you are encouraging someone else to try to break that record.

I'll chime in and support spencer, chomp & dave. It sets a not so great precedent.

I think it would reflect poorly on VFTT as well. There will be non-VFTT people on the summit who will undoubtably feel uncomfortable with such an enormous group there and when they hear that we're all from VFTT the site could get a bad rep. Not that Tom, Eric and I hiking around telling people we're from VFTT helps either!

-Dr. Wu

As usual, I'm with Dave and Spencer. Tread not at all. Anticipatory congrats to Sarah.

all this talk about hiking records is making me dizzy!

Seriously though, I think VFTT-er's are going to be equally respectful and cautious whether they are hiking solo or with a group of 100. I'm wondering, though, if you'd actually have a more memorable time celebrating her achievement with just a few select people, or maybe even just the two of you....

another vote for not gathering a large crowd

you can split up your group into ten-or-less teams, up separate trails, but it'll still be buzzkill central when someone else reaches the summit and there's a cast of thousands hoarding the summit

besides, poor HarryK would have to carry a half keg to fulfill his usual beer delivery service ! :eek:

gather as many friends as you like at some post-hike gathering and let your hair hang down

early congrats to Sarah for reaching her 48th

Weighing IN

I certainly respect the opinions of those above... however my post was rather vague. Let me clarify a few things.

Most on a 48th Summit: I certainly invite all those who wish to join us whether it be at the summit or afterwards at the bottom. It is essentially a rather funny (haha) joke where as we are just spoofing off of Whacking weekend... ya know.. the most people in Steve Smiths store at one time.

Leave No trace: Sarah and I are the trail adopters of Jefferson Loop Trail 100% above treeline. I have also educated people on Franconia Ridge about Leave No Trace Ethics. The same rules we have hiked with (sarah for 4 years, myself for 13) will apply on this hike.

Seperate Trails: Sometimes I wish people would give me a little more credit. My plan was not to have a long train of hikers slugging up the same trail. It was always my intention to request those who wish to join us go up different trails.

Sarah's wishes: "Myself, her family, and anyone else from views from the top" to quote her. So I put out the invitation per her wishes. Want me to be specific? Sherpa K, George Fitch, The Banned Afka_bob, Pete Hickey, Bob and Geri, Stinkyfeet, frodo, Momhamed, Danette, Dugan, Jim Lombard, McRat, Albee, KlTilton, Beverly, Dr_wu, Mark, HarryK, Donna, MEB, youngblood, Rick.... is this getting too large for some comfort? :confused: I go by what the woman I love wants... there it is. Its HER day and I respect her wishes. How many people were on Sli's 48th this past winter?

I'm not just some idiot guys, just because I look young. Sure... inviting a mass of people seems odd, but it was with the expectation that only 15 people would show up anyway. Most of those being the names I listed above. The other plan I had was to have us all get into the ole foundation of the old hotel.. I believe it is all rock in there.

Thank you for the input though... now does anyone have any advice on how we could BETTER celebrate after the hike to perhaps pursuade people from being on the summit? yes.. a diversion... something less negative. And Keep in mind... this isn't a chat room.

Last edited:
Sherpa John said:
I'm not just some idiot guys, just because I look young. Sure... inviting a mass of people seems odd, but it was with the expectation that only 15 people would show up anyway.

I am sorry that you didn't get the kind of response that you would have hoped from your post, John, but I don't think that anyone here misunderstood your intentions. You even mentioned in your first post that it was your plan "despite the flack we'll get". So you knew that this was going to be an unpopular decision before you even made the post. Don't be suprised to get negitive responses to something that you already think you are going to get negitive responses for.

As for mentioning "The Banned Afka_bob" and "And Keep in mind... this isn't a chat room" in the same post, I hope that this is a joke rather than a not-so-subtle comment about the administration style here. Because most of the members are in favor of the way Darren handles things. I was one of the many complaining about afka_bob's behavior on this site, and I am glad to see that he got a time-out.

chomp said:
As for mentioning "The Banned Afka_bob" and "And Keep in mind... this isn't a chat room" in the same post, I hope that this is a joke rather than a not-so-subtle comment about the administration style here. Because most of the members are in favor of the way Darren handles things. I was one of the many complaining about afka_bob's behavior on this site, and I am glad to see that he got a time-out.

It was a joke yes... I agree very much with the way things are run here as well. If I didn't.. I would leave like some of the others I know. I was also not a fan of Afka_bob at first, I'm not trying to choose a side but.. he and I burried the hatchet. But I can see how his behavior would warrant being banned so.. its all good.

As far as "the chat room feel" That I DID mean.. not as a shot to the admins... but the fact that people came on and just posted how they agree with so and so.. I guess in my interpretations of the site.. I figure that if someone all ready said it, it doesn't need to be said a third or fourth time. it becoms counter productive to my original question.. just a lot of yup, yup, yup, no, yup, yup. Its needless.

Also a sorry... I knew I was going to get flack... but I didn;t expect all 7 initial replies to be ALL flack. Its a bit ridiculous IMHO, Metsky's post was enough for me to understand... and I again appreciate and respect your opinions. But come on man!

Last edited:
Sherpa John said:
now does anyone have any advice on how we could BETTER celebrate after the hike to perhaps pursuade people from being on the summit?

Forgot to mention that the Woodstock Station is a very popular meeting spot for this crew. There is a function room of sorts that you can reserve in advance. I think that this room can hold about 30 or more people, so depending on how large your group gets, this could be an option.

There's a waitress at the Woodstock Station with a large wooden paddle in her hand, just waiting for this crew to return...

GeorgeFitch said:
There's a waitress at the Woodstock Station with a large wooden paddle in her hand, just waiting for this crew to return...
Oh, yeah - we have to make sure she is working that night!

I'll be there if I can and promise to tread lightly on the summit and not take up too much space. The 30+ people who showed up for Seema's 48th certainly didn't make the mountain feel crowded for me (just the opposite), so I'm OK with the plans.

I guess I am a bit confused here. John if you wish to invite others on Sarah's hike, you have every right to do so. I thought that was the reason for the trips and events thread. How can anyone judge how many may show up? I can also understand those who are concerned with the overcrowding issue.
Regardless, I hope you and Sarah and anyone else has a great day on the mountain, after all isn't that why we all visit VFTT? As for the afka dude, he should stay banned, this is not a comedy or philosophy site but a hiking and climbing site for those to share information. Thanks to Darren, and lets all respect one another. Again, best wishes to you and Sarah.

Seems like a great thread on which to make my annual plea to tread lightly on fragile trails, such as the Glencliff Trail, during Mud Season (i.e., please wear something lighter than stiff plastic winter climbing boots that severely tear up the thawing soil, etc.). One advantage to saving the mob siege mentality for winter is that the peaks, trails, and vegetation are less fragile than they are in the other seasons, especially the spring.

pbernard said:
I guess I am a bit confused here. John if you wish to invite others on Sarah's hike, you have every right to do so. I thought that was the reason for the trips and events thread. How can anyone judge how many may show up? I can also understand those who are concerned with the overcrowding issue.
Regardless, I hope you and Sarah and anyone else has a great day on the mountain, after all isn't that why we all visit VFTT? As for the afka dude, he should stay banned, this is not a comedy or philosophy site but a hiking and climbing site for those to share information. Thanks to Darren, and lets all respect one another. Again, best wishes to you and Sarah.

AMEN to all of that... perhaps I should re-word my intial post.

Take out the word "RECORD" and please just replace it with... "We're hiking June 11th to celebrate Sarah's 48th... how many kiddies wanna come play with us?!" WHO WANTS TO HIKE!? As in... A TRIP... AN EVENT... what we all do TOGETHER from the confines of this site and have a damn good time doing it.

Sarah Says.."George, I'll bring my own wooden paddle for John for starting me on this damn list. hehe" :D

If I were Sarah, I'd be flattered that so many people assume that dozens upon dozens of VFTTers would flock to Moosilauke and overrun the mountain in order to join her on her 48th. She must be really popular! I guess the two of you are known to really draw a crowd.

Oh, and no offense, but shouldn't this post be in the trips and events forum?

I'll try and make it if I can. Maybe I'll bushwhack it solo from the North, making sure to avoid anything that looks like mud or fragile vegetation. :D

Baaaaa

albee said:
so many people assume that dozens upon dozens of VFTTers would flock to Moosilauke and overrun the mountain
This isn't directed at you albee. I'm using your post to vent a little. And not just about some of the above, but about what goes on in general.

[sarcasm on]
Thank God there are so many SHEPHERDS on this forum to keep us SHEEP in line.
[sarcasm off]

Stewards, your intentions are good. Admirable, even. But please remember. We are fellow VFTTers. We are fellow hikers. WE GET IT. Many of us were practicing "Leave No Trace" and "Carry In - Carry Out" before those phrases existed. You are not our shepherds and we are not your sheep. You walk on your two feet and we'll walk on our four. I mean two.

Status
Not open for further replies.