5th Annual Adirondack BBQ and Hiker Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case you like an estimated head count, it looks like I got roped in to dragging Spongebob's butt around in the ADKs...again. :rolleyes: And Chip, my husband, might join us too. So...add 2 and possibly three more to your list. We'll be arriving sometime Friday a little before dark.

Actually I've never been hiking in the Adirondacks so I'm looking forward to meeting new people and hiking in a new place.

Well, I will also chime in for a last minute addition. I am pretty sure I have talked Brian into coming with me. We should be there late Friday, maybe around 10 or 11 pm. I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if these questions have already been answered . . .

1. If I bring indian food, will there be an oven in which I can heat the food or should I only plan on food that either doesn't need to be heated or only in quantities I can heat on my backpacking stove.

2. Also, should I plan on a cooler to keep the food good or is there space in a fridge? Back years ago at the first annual BBQ at Spencer's there was fewer people so I don't know how things have changed since the old days.

3. Will there be space to pitch our tent if we arrive late Friday?

Can't wait to catch up with ya'll. See you tomorrow.

sli74

Lady of the Ring

I won't be able to make it, but Gail's priceless (I mean that sincerely) ring will. 7Summits has graciously offered her courier services to assure its safe return. Freddy: you'd better be the one to put it on her hand, and I want pictures to prove it! :cool:

SherpaKroto said:
I won't be able to make it, but Gail's priceless (I mean that sincerely) ring will. 7Summits has graciously offered her courier services to assure its safe return. Freddy: you'd better be the one to put it on her hand, and I want pictures to prove it! :cool:

Lord, what miracles hath God wrought, eh? The sacred ring found and retrieved from the bottom of a lake by Sir Sherpakroto after being searched for by 4 men and submerged for 3 days....

I will be most honored to restore the ring to m'lady and put it on her hand :D Thanks again so much for everything SK!

Seema,

These are buried way back in the thread. That answers a little bit of your question but not all.

peakbagger said:
My observations from last years event for food is that quality not quantity is the key for bringing something for potluck. Appetizers and finger foods seem to be popular. Try bring a regional speciality. No real need to bring sheetpans full of stuff and try to find something that requires minimal preparation. The spicier the better!

peak_bgr said:
I have one fridge that gets very full, very fast. But coolers work the best and there's a place to get ice 24 hrs just down the road.

Scotch sounds great too!!

Thanks Jen. I was kicking myself for not reading this thread as it grew. I was getting ready to go sifting through the dozens of posts to get my answers but you beat me to it. Sounds like I should bring something that requires very little refrigeration and cooking . . . maybe I will bring the brownies, though it will be no comparison to bubba's, that's for sure. :)

sli74

Indian food-YES YES YES. You can use our oven and fridge.

There's always room for a tent, and I'm very sure we will still be awake to help out.

TeeJay's here now, I'm just checking in to see any changes. Happy to see a few more more chiming in.

As Bubba says, we welcome lurkers and newbees. This is an open gathering.

Well have fun everyone, I'll be thinking about you around the major bondfire :D Oh- If unfrozen's not going then it will be smaller... :D

Spencer, good thing you didn't sell the house like you were suppose to :eek:

Is there a meeting spot and time for the Hunter pass hike, if I can get out of work tonight a little early I'd like to join in. I've done Nipple to Dix and know the area well. I PM'd Spence but I don't know if I'll catch him before he gets off.

Barbara, Boo and I stopped in after our hike to visit and see if anyone had arrived yet. Had a cool one, before my starving spouse dragged me away to dinner. We've up staying in Keene for the week.
Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Maybe Rattlesnake Mt or Crows and Nun-Da-Goah Ridge on Saturday if anyone is interested.

Spencer and Maddi, thanks for the beer and hospitality this afternoon.

Alan

CRR-I think I misunderstood you in your PM. After Dial and Nipple Top we will be hiking out to the car. No Dix involved. It will be around a 7 am start from the Dix/Round Pond Trailhead. If I can I will spot a jeep tonight at Elk Lake. If I don't get to it, I wll have to run over in the morning.

I will be arriving with Fred sometime after 4pm... Guess we'll find out where's dinner friday night is soon enough.

I'm bringing some Lychee fruit..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychee

it's native to southern SE Asia and southern China and is in a hard shell that needs to be peeled. Fruit is very very sweet when ripe and has a small smooth pit in the middle... I don't have a lot but I'm bringing all I have.

Jay

peak_bgr said:
Tip a conoe looks to be the place. We'll still be here at 4 when you get here.
I think we'll be a little late for dinner (around 8), so we'll go straight to your house and keep it safe from hooligans! :eek: :D

peak_bgr said:
Indian food-YES YES YES. You can use our oven and fridge.

Okay, I am bringing a VERY large roasting pan full of indian food, so I hope you were serious about the oven and fridge space, cause this baby is not gonna fit in any cooler or be heated on any backpacking stove. :)

See ya around 11pm, stepping out of the house in 5 minutes.

sli74

Thanks to Maddi and Spencer for another wonderful BBQ. Sorry Al and I had to squeek out sunday as I had two long hikes planned for the weekend and damned if I don't miss a perfect weather weekend up there. Snuck out before most people were rustling... I threw out some of the trash on the tables and tried to clean up things while I was up. Noticed the chipmunks got into the hot dog rolls, one of the roll bags was dragged all the way to the other side of the garage as I found it behind Brian's Jeep! I put it on the table but there were rolls on the deck that have been gotten into...

We missed some of the more musical talents on the forum but Freddy and Prino, did a bit of a number though no 3am Kumbaya this year.

I have some hiking pictures from the weekend when I get around to posting them...

Jay

Spencer and Maddi, you two are wonderful hosts and we had such a great time. The weather was excellent and Brian truly enjoyed his first ADK summit. Jay, we are sorry we couldn't be there for your finish on Sunday but I was thinking of you looking at the gorgeous blue skies on the way home. The food was yummy and the relaxing by the campfire was just what we needed.
Maddi, thank you for heating the food and cooking the rice for me.
Catch you again next year.

sli74

Barbara and I were up for the week and we heading home the evening of the Gathering. Barb was able to stay until early evening and wanted to say thanks to Maddy and Spencer for their usual wonderful hospitality.
With a long drive home, I had to leave at 9:30pm, but not before meeting and making a lot of new friends.
Sorry I missed the arrival of the 'late shift' and hope to catch you at one of the New England Gatherings or at the ADK Gathering next year.

Spencer told me that next year's event will be the 2nd full weekend of August, so mark your calendars.

Alan