Almost famous - sapblatt and LarryD make the paper

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Well, anyone who has read my reports over the past few years has probably been waiting for the day when there would be a newspaper story about me - well happy to report that this was a story about a remote corner of Baxter State Park - not a SAR report! Larry and I ran into the park director Jensen Bissell and a Kevin Mitchell, a reporter for the Bangor Daily News as we broke out of the forest on the Frost Pond Trail last week - interesting story...

ARTICLE

Nice job guys!

It looks to me like Larry is about to deliver "THE JOKE" to the park director. Or maybe just asking for directions?

I think its excellent you visited such a far reaching part of the park.

If he had delivered 'The Joke" the article would have had a far different tone!:eek:;)

Wise to resist the urge, Larry!

Cool article on the spot you guys backpacked. What are the odds that you would cross that road as they were driving by!?

I think this picture was from before Larry had completely developed the joke -otherwise Mr. Bissell would be pointing us towards the park exit.

Marty - we will still hike with you - but you will have to carry our packs :p

Jason - I was thinking about the "odds" - rather slim - remote, seldom used road, remote seldom used trail - over 200,000 acres - very slim odds indeed.

from article said:
By the time they crossed paths with park director Jensen Bissell early last week, the hikers had...

I'm glad that sentence didn't go in another direction ;). Too bad you didn't cross paths with the loggers up there. You could've been on that Discovery Channel show too !

Great article. Congratulations.

we went thru the logged area around 3-4 PM on a Saturday - otherwise we would have had seen a lot of activity I am sure...the logged area looked like a war zone - I think we were so aggravated by the vanishing trail that we did not take any pics of that area.

Oh sure, the article was good enough, but I don't like how the writer got sidetracked off the more important stuff, like what you were using on your blisters or how many undies you normally tote on a trek. ;)
But thanks for getting us Ma***oles some good press.