Arrow Slide Question.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
I am planning to do arrow slide up Mt. Hancock, and I have a question to anyone who has done it.
It branches into two forks halfway up. What are the differences between the left and right side and also when you get to the top which way do you go to get to the summit.
Thanks
WSC

There is a faint herdpath from the top of the right fork to the Hancock Loop Trail. (It leaves the top of the right fork on the left side then comes around above the slide towards the right) Rumor has it bushwhacking from the left fork is much more difficult than from the right fork.

Most people take the right fork. ;)

WSC said:
when you get to the top which way do you go to get to the summit.
The summit viewpoint is to the L of the slide and you may hear voices over there, but it is quicker to go R to the trail and follow the trail L

So, how does the Arrow Slide compare to the North Tri slide? Or, the South Tri slide, for that matter.

Thanks!

Most of the Arrow Slide is slab like the North Trip. Slide. It's about 2/3 the length and frequently has some wet areas. The base of it requires a little looking in the right direction to find. I've only known of 1 person who couldn't find it. I won't mention his name, but I hear he had trouble finding the Hale Fire Warden's Trail as well. ;)

The issue is, the wet slabs will push you over to the left. so I think there's a tendency to go left. But, just below the top of the slide, on the right, the woods are wide open and nice. Giggy, Woody and I did it in the spring on a pretty wet day, we went to the right about 150' below the top of the slide and it was about a 10 minute 'whack through open woods to the summit.

-Dr. Wu

TEO said:
...how does the Arrow Slide compare to the North Tri slide?
Personally I think Arrow Slide is a bit scarier than the North Slide. I'm more afraid of big slab than loose scree on a slide. The slab section on the North Slide is at the bottom of the slide, if you loose your footing there, you may not fall too far. When I climbed Arrow Slide, I stayed close to the left side of the slide. The slab section there is at the upper-middle section of the slide. If you loose your footing while on the slab, you could go pretty far down, there is not much there to stop your fall. So mentally I think AS is a bit scarier.

It was a great hike, I remembered while we're descending from South Hancock, we got a nice view of the slide, it was a rewarding "I climbed that!" kinda feeling. That's pretty cool to me (who is somewhat afraid of height).

I would agree with 7summits, WU, etc..

Arrow seemed a bit tougher to me than N TRI slide and not even in the same ballpark as south tri slide.

Like WU said, we did it on a wet day, so that might have had something to do with it. North Tri slide has great handholds all the way up - I didn't get that feeling on Arrow. Its also loose down low, I remember all us sending some big rocks crashing down below. I thought it was a bit steeper than n tri, but not by much.

def worth doing.

It has been many years since I climbed Arrow Slide, so if my memory is correct:

* S Tri Slide is mostly loose pebbles and grit between ledges. Pretty easy.

* N Tri Slide is small slabs with loose rocks and pebbles near the top. A bit harder.

* Arrow Slide is mostly one big slab with loose rock collected in some spots. You had to route find (ie figure out the easiest route) your way up. Don't recall the difficulty very well, but it was probably similar to or a bit harder then N Tri Slide. In rock climber's terms, an easy friction climb.

Doug

DougPaul said:
* Arrow Slide is mostly one big slab with loose rock collected in some spots. You had to route find (ie figure out the easiest route) your way up. Don't recall the difficulty very well, but it was probably similar to or a bit harder then N Tri Slide. In rock climber's terms, an easy friction climb.

Doug
It's not too bad but you have to be careful when it's wet and also be wary of lose rocks.

Both times I did it, as the slide widened and got more "slabby" I stuck to the left until I reached some wet, slimy ledges. At this point, it was easy to move to the right. Kept going up on the right until I reached worse ledges than before. Slimy and really wet. The second time (with Giggy and Woody) we went right, into the woods. The first time we went over to the left of the slide (difficult) and continued to the top. Once we got to the top we 'whacked back over to the right side but made the foolish mistake of going up from there into the woods. Should have gone into the woods on the right where they're still open.

Once you're on it the way should be obvious (we didn't do any research the first time we did it) unless you fancy walking on slimy rocks. The only real beta you can get is about 100' or so below the top, go into the open woods on your right. Unless you want to 'whack in blowdown.

-Dr. Wu

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I won't mention his name, but I hear he had trouble finding the Hale Fire Warden's Trail as well. ;)

C'mon, thats not fair...in the first case I was going the right way but everyone told me I wasn't, and the second one someone in the group had been up there once before and couldn't find it either.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it :D :D :D :D

Brian