Best 'Spots' in the Adirondack Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
We are trying to come up with 10 of the BEST (most beautiful, coolest, awe-inspiring) spots in the Adirondack's for a film that we are doing. Thus far we have chosen these for ideas on the list:

Indian Head profile from Eagle Cliffs
Mt. Colden slides from Algonquin
Hitch-up Matildas in Avalanche Pass
Wallface
Chimney Mt's chimney
Roaring Brook Falls
Rainbow Falls
Marcy Dam

Any other ideas and input would be greatly appriciated! :)

Here's a few that might offer some add'l perspectives:

The view from the Loj Road.
Pinnacle.
Haystack or Gothics.
View from Mt Jo.
Summit Rock in Indian Pass.
Mt Adams.
Noonmark.
Dix.
Hurricane.
Chapel Pond.
Cascade Lakes.
From St Regis firetower.

Lots of good ones mentioned. One could mention views from any number of locations, but here are a few more (in no particular order):

Colden from Flowed Lands
Great Range from Big Slide
View(s) from Pyramid
Duck Hole (NPT)
Bog River Flow
Moose River
Hudson River (gorge)

Suggestion: I could give you more suggestions, but I'm not sure what the goal of your film is. Depending upon what you're looking for, you might want to consider that there is a lot more to the Adirondacks than the High Peaks.

Dick

The only thing I can think of to add is the views from Pitchoff.

On 2nd thought, make sure you get some of your shots in Winter.

Some items not explicitly mentioned above:
Gill Brook, Fairy Ladder Falls.
"Gothics Window" view on the trail up Indian Head from near the lower lake.
Lost Lookout (view of Mt Colvin and lower Ausable Lake), Cathedral Rocks.
The many views along the Stimson Trail up Noonmark.
Giants Washbowl and the Nubble above it.
The erratic boulders on Pitchoff.
Owls Head (toy mountain at the Owls Head Acres subdivision off Route 73).
Lake Tear of the Clouds.
Flowed Lands.
Trap Dike on Colden.

Touristy perhaps, but well worth a visit:
High Falls Gorge.
Ausable Chasm.
Views from the top of the Ski Jump.
Barnum Brook trail at the Adirondack Visitors Interpretive Center in Paul Smiths.
Elk Lake and Clear Pond (worth a stay at the lodge).

Last edited:
rhihn said:
Suggestion: I could give you more suggestions, but I'm not sure what the goal of your film is. Depending upon what you're looking for, you might want to consider that there is a lot more to the Adirondacks than the High Peaks.

Dick
The goal of the flick is an animated adventure set in the ADKs. Its going to be set in the 'old days' circa 1920's and in a music video format. We're going to be using some of the ideas as backgrounds for the vid. We're trying to get the best of the best as we want to give the folks at Banff a taste of how beautiful our ADKs really are. Go ahead and shoot with the views outside the High Peaks...Thanks everyone for the ideas thus far. There are some awesome views mentioned for sure!

I've many times enjoyed the view from the Mt. Van Hoevenberg summit ledges out across South Meadow.

Many other favorites already have been mentioned.

G.

Ampersand with its great views of the lakes.

Whiteface for the views of lake placid (you can drive :) )

Hows the shoulder doing by the way. I know a place where you can get great therapy ;) .

How long a film will it be ? ;) Seems like you'd have to include Lake George and at least acknowledge the Great Camps if it's a 1920's retro type film.
Views enjoyed this past weekend include;
Islands in "The Narrows" of Lake George.
Rogers Rock from Lake George.
Lake George from Tongue Mtn.
Schroon River around Horicon.

Chip said:
How long a film will it be ? ;) Seems like you'd have to include Lake George and at least acknowledge the Great Camps if it's a 1920's retro type film.
Views enjoyed this past weekend include;
Islands in "The Narrows" of Lake George.
Rogers Rock from Lake George.
Lake George from Tongue Mtn.
Schroon River around Horicon.

I'd also include Tongue Mtn. and Lake George from Buck Mt.

And just about anything from the Jay Range!

Since you will be carrying equipment, i assume some should be easy to get too.

I'll second the view from the beginning of ADK Loj road. Also Chapel Pond & Whiteface

If you can go after some rain, Beaver Meadow falls is not too hard to get too.

My favorite summit is Haystack. I really liked the view from Marshall when i was there last month. Part of that might be that I had not really seen that area from that angle as I've been on Algonquin & marcy more often.

Lake tear

the view from Big Slide or the lower brothers of the Great Range

Marcy Dam?!

How about:
View from Sawteeth
View from Pyramid
Beaver Meadow Falls
Macomb slide
Shepherd's Tooth
the glen within Avalanche Pass
Trap Dike, before you exit
Avalanche Lake, across from the dike
Little Haystack
Opalescent flumes

1920s, hmmm. Well you should visit the village of Adirondack ghost town ruins at Tahawus, and the ruins at Upper Works. I agree with Little Rickie, lots of old stuff at the Adirondack Museum.

If you expanded a bit to the 1930s then perhaps you could reenact some of the 1932 Lake Placid Olympics. One of you could dress in drag as Sonja Henie and take some spins around the 1932 Olympic Arena. I believe they still have an ice surface in there some of the time. The last time I was in there it was not well lit (if at all), and there was no ice. So perhaps you would need to use roller blades, but it still would be good.

Lucky that you did not chose the 1980s. Then one of you would have to don golden tights and do an Eric Heiden impersonation with a spin around the Lake Placid High School track. That might not be a pretty sight. But a Jack Shea reenactment would be very good.

The bobsled and ski jumping might be more difficult. But maybe something similar to urban kayaking, Jackass style, might work. The 1932 games even had a sled dog race as a demonstration sport - that could be fun.

Ten? that's tough, but the view of the Ausable Lakes from Colvin is pretty nice. And, just before the summit of Seymour is a ledge that overlooks the full Sewards, and Ampersand - so far that's been my favorite spot.