BSP trip, 6/15-6/17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
A few shots from last weekend's trip to Baxter State Park. Most of us went up Katahdin Saturday 6/16 (some of us went up Cathedral/down Hamlin, some went up Knife Edge/down Hamlin). Sunday we all hiked S. Turner Mountain.

a fellow hiker enjoys the view from cathedral trail
p321338317-5.jpg

view from the Cathedral Trail
p510475610-5.jpg

view of the Brothers
p504500944-5.jpg

Jonathan and Atticus - Katahdin sized grins.
p14838462-5.jpg

photo opps on the summit
p433361131-5.jpg

table land
p521263553-5.jpg

descending Hamlin Ridge
p421234877-5.jpg

view back up Hamlin Ridge
p337295341-5.jpg

doe at Sandy Stream Pond outlet
p353648367-5.jpg

John L, standing on South Turner
p59920922-5.jpg

Katahdin from South Turner
p379989775-5.jpg

Thanks to Carmen A, Kathy B, Pam F, Atticus F, John L, and Marty W... sorry I didn't get photos of everybody.

More photos

Wow! Everyone must go look at these fabulous pictures, NOW! :D

Did you really have that undercast and perfect blue skies in the same day? Amazing!

Makes me want to go back!

Outstanding pictures! Great conditions! Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully, if I make it to Baxter again this year there will be similar conditions.

Thanks again.

Beautiful

Wait a minute. Where were the black flies? Headnets? Bleeding from the ears? Looks of fear and anguish?

You sure that was Baxter? ;)

I always enjoy your artistic images, Jonathan - psyched to see you got such grand cooperation from Ms. Nature on this trip. On such days, Baxter is really incomparable.

I haven't been to Baxter since 2009 and your gorgeous pictures made me realize how much I miss it. Thanks for sharing!!

Given the frequent harping about the "rules" at Baxter, did you encounter any park rules that you considered to be unreasonable?

Excellent pictures especially of Hamlin ridge. A lot of folks who just go up and back to the summit miss out that great view. (worth going back up just to walk down Hamlin Ridge Trail on a sunny day).

Good to see you have found a way to keep Carmen busy;)

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Wait a minute. Where were the black flies? Headnets? Bleeding from the ears? Looks of fear and anguish?

You sure that was Baxter? ;)
=) we all came back with plenty of bites! A few of us put up tents in their lean tos. I didn't think they were too bad.

-did you see me on Mullen? ;)
- congratulations on bagging Mullen and N. Turner! I read your report... epic. My friend Andy and two others in our group bagged Mullen last winter. They were successful in finding the abandoned trail to Mullen Pond.

Given the frequent harping about the "rules" at Baxter, did you encounter any park rules that you considered to be unreasonable?
- This is a matter of individual opinion, to be sure. Some find the rules to be unreasonable. For my part, I like the peace and quiet, and I like being able to reserve a lean to (particularly in the backcountry) and know that me and my group will have it to ourselves.

very nice!

great shots for the "greatest mountain!" thanx for sharing! I also agree, that the "red tape" can be very helpful in achieving zen like solitude..

Last edited:
The photos are absolutely incredible! I think the ones over the ponds looking up at the mountain are maybe even more spectacular than the views from the top. What perfect weather too! August is going to be our first trip to Baxter and every trip report like this that I see makes me wish it was sooner. Counting the days!

Great pics of what looks like a great trip. I particularly love the Cathedral Trail, and to echo a lot of other comments, I can't wait to get back to BSP either!

Looked like the perfect day.