bubba takes on Marshall as 46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
Saturday, September 16th via Calamity Brook/ Herbert Brook with fellow ADK-45r hiking partner JimmyGeorge. Celebrate at house back in LP later. Yard space or floor space possibly available!! Anyone not gathering in the Berkshires is welcome.

So who's going to be the first to say FINALLY??

Last edited:
See my other post....

(Finally) I just said it on the 9.0 thread. I'm 99% sure I'm in. I'll work Ward and see if he can join us. I may even head back to Placid with you, as I think I'm going to take a week or two off then.

WOW BUBBA I thought you finished last year. I wish i c ould be there. I am going to be up that way Sept 22nd. Good luck, you will love Marshall its one of my favorites. You picked a good one to finish on. The view of Iraquois is amazing!

Bubba,

I hope all goes well for you. One of these days I am going to get out to the daks. I thing I'll finish up the 4Ks in Maine and VT before I head to NY though.

Have fun! :p

I wish I could be there for this but I have a race the next day (yes, as we talked about before, right now I am in running long mode). I'll be sending long distance congrats to you that day.

I'll say "FINALLY" when the trip report is posted and I know you really did it!!! :D :D :D

Good luck! Would love to join you, but I need to be in NH on the 17th (actually in Maine, visiting a potential location for my daughter's wedding next September :) )!!!! I'm not even going to the Gathering 9.0 this year.

Can't wait to read the details of your final ADK peak.

What time you leaving trail head? I need this also and would like to get one more done this year. what trail head is this? Is this trailhead to Adams or is it trailhead to indianpass?

In sooth, LittleBear knows... :)

Beer??? Count on it!!

_dib: Probably early, but we are coming over from LP, so that's an hour. At this point I'd say in the 7-7:30 AM range. We leave from the Upper Works trailhead and follow the Calamity Brook trail over to Flowed Lands and then head up the herd path up Marshall that follows Herbert Brook. Back out the same way.

Audrey... so what's wrong with Marshall??? Your 46/115 depended on it!! :p

Slam - be there so we can celebrate someone's 46th!!

Woodie - you're gonna love 'em

Adam - yeh, yeh... I was supposed to finish last year but JimmyGeorge's mother ended up in the hospital a few nights before the weekend. I've certainly never been in a hurry to finish up.

Carol - run fast!! Well celebrate next time!!

Hey bubba, a weekend too early for me. Have a blast and early congrats. Herbert Brook is a magical place. Just before you hit the summit there will be a little spur on your left (headin up) that opens upon a gorgeous view to the east. Make sure you hit it up after celebrating on the summit.

Reactions: arm
Thanks, bud. Too bad as it would be great to have you on board! Hey, what about the plane wreckage?? Do you have to drop off toward Iroquois to find it ...like it's past the summit coming up Herbert Brook?

Is there a summit sign on top??

Oh Bubba, there's nothing wrong with Marshall, but at the end of a week desperately trying to attain the last of the 115, I may have been overheard to say, "I'm never hiking again!" I barely stumped those last 5 miles out.

The summit was ever so sweet, though, with 25 or so of VFTT's finest for company (including Spence's Sunny), champagne, a foggy view to somewhere, and Pete's axe...gee, maybe I can manage to get there.

Hey Bubba, it just so happens that I'm starting a new list. I want to do each of the 46 while someone finishes their 46 on that particular mountain. In order to add a little pizzazz to this list idea I have decided that in order for the peak to count that I have to bushwhack to the summit. So far I am 0/46 for the "Bushwhack each of the ADK 46 while someone finishes their 46 on the same peak" list. I'm hoping to give you the honor of going down in history as the person whose 46th summit I began my list on. :D

bubba said:
Thanks, bud. Too bad as it would be great to have you on board! Hey, what about the plane wreckage?? Do you have to drop off toward Iroquois to find it ...like it's past the summit coming up Herbert Brook?

Is there a summit sign on top??

There was a summit sign, and I believe there will be one of Gary's little yellow discs up high as well. To find the plane wreck you need to do a loop and follow the herd path (when leaving) on your left which heads toward the pass (called Algonquin Pass by the Marshall Brothers, Iroquois Pass by most others, and now Cold Brook Pass on the recent maps?) That route is quite nice, though you do climb the minor peak next to Marshall. However it is climbing up that little subpeak that has a boulder with a fantastic view down on a small mountain tairn and into Indian Pass, and with views towards the Flowed Lands on the other side. One of the surprise highlights of that trek. Another being an awesome natural spring with delicious water. When you hit the Indian Pass to Lake Colden Trail you head right toward Colden, unless you want to really make for a long day like we did and head down and up over Indian Pass (... Don't). You will traverse the Pass which is flat for a good ten minutes or longer and then start the descent. The plane will come within a few minutes on your right. It is only about fifty feet off the trail (so I've been assured but am 0 for 2 in my searches, however both times I was heading toward Indian Pass) and should be visible right from the trail.

There. How's that for a longwinded direction!? Have fun! Oh, and if the water level is low at Flowed Lands you can take a fun shortcut following the water around the left hand shore until the large boulder creeps down into the water. Then just head up around fifty feet and you'll connect with the trail again, saving you a little distance, some ups and downs and giving you a nice change of scenery. We should ski the route this winter. Frozen Flowed Lands is an awesome place to be.

Neil said:
Hey Bubba, it just so happens that I'm starting a new list. I want to do each of the 46 while someone finishes their 46 on that particular mountain. In order to add a little pizzazz to this list idea I have decided that in order for the peak to count that I have to bushwhack to the summit. So far I am 0/46 for the "Bushwhack each of the ADK 46 while someone finishes their 46 on the same peak" list. I'm hoping to give you the honor of going down in history as the person whose 46th summit I began my list on. :D
Only if you come up the Marshall Slide, get pictures and include me with some (honorable?) mention in your book!! :cool:

I'm guessing that you really might be there??

Doc: Long-winded does it for me... I just have to re-read it!! ;) I think I'm glad you said that about hiking through Indian Pass... I was actually giving it some consideration!! :eek:

Julie - I'm trying to figure out exactly what's happening. We have a house rented right in the village off Main Street, so for sure they'll be something to finish out a day on the trail working!! There's even a hottub!! :D (that got your attention!!)

bubba said:
I'm guessing that you really might be there??
That was my full intention when I posted, slide and all. Now I realize it's my last chance to do trailwork this year, :( something I keep promising Pete I'm gonna do but never do cuz I'm always working on some silly list.

Good luck! I hope you have a great day. PM me your cell # and I will try to give you a call. I'm working on a new list...I am trying to have a beer on every beach in Hawaii. :D

- darren

Neil: Pete PM'd me and told me he'd be on Marshall :eek: Maybe I just freed you up for a nice slide!! Some Julies just freed up, too??

Wise cracks from the 50th state!! :rolleyes: 1-800-mtn-marshall -- I thought your new list was going to be making aggravating cell calls to those finishing their lists! Yours new list could get boring -- same ocean, different sand?? I'm not sure you can handle it!! The Dr. travels with for this trip!!