Fall Gathering 9.9999999 - Sep 21-23 White Birches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have Fun!

Ah, missing yet another one. Hope everyone has fun...

Hi Dawn, congrats on your completion of the AT...put a message on your ViewandBrew site!...I o u a beer or bagel!

Congrats Dawn! The campground is not assigning sites to each caller - just giving us as many sites as the number of people requires (6 people per site but each person can have a tent of one's own). I am sure there'll be plenty of room there in the wayback!!

I'm heading out of here within the hour. I'm up for a Friday hike and paddle on Saturday or Sunday (or hike if that's what happens). Also coming with a road bike for more entertainment!

See you soon. All others - try hard to get there!!

firewood

I am staying in North Conway tonight so I might be able to bring up some firewood tonight and stop in for a few minutes. Tomorrow I will spend in Portland and then I'll be back Saturday but probably not in time to join a hike. My knees and feet are pretty sore so I wouldn't want to do anything major anyway...especially the Notch!

I don't think I'm going to be able to make it (helping a friend move. woohoo!) but if there's anyone in VT or NY coming through the upper valley who can pick up Dawn's special 2000 mile oatmeal stout, please pm me. Thanks!

Be there!

Hi all,

I'll be arriving mid-late Friday afternoon.

I plan to hike one day and ride my motorcycle up Washington the other (any interest Audery???).

Looking forward to seeing old and new friends,

cb

ChrisB said:
I plan to ... ride my motorcycle up Washington the other

I'll be looking for the trip report. Not sure if I am willing to give that a try yet. :eek: Have you done this before? Is the whole road paved?

Sorry

to be missing this one but the lure of four spectacular days with daxs in the Adirondacks was too compelling to pass up. But, [ :rolleyes: ]I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A BETTER TIME THAN LAST YEAR.[/ :rolleyes: ]. Really, I do :) .

I miss you all.

teejay

Waaaaahhhh!!!! Who's gonna make the coffee?????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

(We'll miss you for other reasons too, Teejay. Enjoy "your" mountains.) :p

carole said:
Have you done this before? Is the whole road paved?

Carole,

No and no.

But, I did ride up to the top of Catherdral Ledge in N. Conway to train for Mt Wash!!

cb

Where and when is the Mahoosuc Notch trip meeting.

Also, I didn't hear from any other veggie eaters so I'll just bring something
snacky for the pot luck, no main dish.

-vegematic

Sigh. I will miss this event. I'm just so Boston-centric these days.

Plus I have a cowd. Sniffle. Cough. :(

Has anyone just gotten tired of all the driving? Did you ever get over it?
I haven't recovered from last winter.

I think I'll have another glass of whine. ;) :rolleyes:

Pamola said:
I don't think I'm going to be able to make it (helping a friend move. woohoo!) but if there's anyone in VT or NY coming through the upper valley who can pick up Dawn's special 2000 mile oatmeal stout, please pm me. Thanks!

Hey, I'd be happy to "pick up" that oatmeal stout and "deliver" it to Dawn. Yes, sure...I promise it would not end up in my belly!!!
;)

Just wanted to thank peakbagger for pulling this all together. It was a great time, and awesome to finally meet everyone that I had the chance to. You could not have asked for better weather, or a better spot. Great job!

A+++ (I think I've been on eBay too much lately!)

Had a great time! Made it through the entire weekend mostly unscathed. Got plenty of good sleep (in bed nice and early by 4:00 AM each day... I think :eek: ) Didn't spill a drink until I was packing up (and it ended up in the tent :( ) Had a FANTASTIC 90 minute breakfast at Tea Birds in Berlin: Happy Ending all grain French Toast, burn the bacon, and don't hold back on the Home Fries. Large Chocolate milk please ;) . Headed up to Errol with Hot Donna as my able co-pilot while I played local tour guide. Paddled the rapids from Errol Dam to 7 Islands on a beautiful warm sunny day with Hot Donna, Swamp and Bob. Swamp kept trying to live up to his namesake by sitting in 6 inches of water after every set of rapids. Stopped into my brother's hunting camp, and he and my cousin Snoop were there. Stopped at Shaw's, bought all of the teriyaki they had (~6.5 lbs), and spent the next 75 minutes cooking. Ok, we ate 2.5 lbs while cooking. Folks seemed to like it as I never even made it aroundthe firecircle before it was all gone :D Spent the next few hours drinking and flirting with the women and listening to an awesome 80's mix that Giggy wouldn't own up to until we said it was good. Tried in vain to explain to Gillian that feeding microbrews to CD players don't make them sound any better. Listened to Dawn's AT adventures: at least the ones that she could tell us. Spent some apologizing to bubba for publishing a story of his fall which contained a slight inaccuracy with his age :eek: Got up bright and early (9:30) to prepare for another kayaking day on the Andro with Peakbagger, bubba, and BoB. Peakbagger pointed out the site of an old blacksmith mill and I managed to find 2 VERY old horseshoes in the river that I took home to my daughter (an accomplished equestrienne). Ended the day by sitting along the streamside by casting a fly in to a strong headwind. Didn't get one strike, didn't matter a lick.

If this is what the rest of my life is going to be like, I hope I live for a long, long time. Thanks everyone for making this a fantastic weekend!

Last edited:
Another great one

We had the best company,weather,and food. I was sorry to have to go home early Sunday and miss the best day of the lot. There were some awesome hikes accomplished by some of the Gatherers - I'm waiting to read the details. And that doesn't even include this year's leather apron recipient, who walked 2,165 miles to get there! She didn't even want to go an extra 5 miles for breakfast until we reminded her that she could drive and didn't have to walk!

Our two little hikes, up Speckled Mt. and into King Ravine, were nonetheless satisfying. The foliage is peaking up there - the ravine is solid gold!

Thanks everyone, for a truly delightful and satisfying weekend.