Hiker Dies on Haystack Mtn.


Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"while hiking a remote mountain in Bethlehem, New Hampshire...
Charles Loring of Georgetown, Mass., and two companions were hiking an unnamed peak south of Haystack Mountain when the victim suffered the heart attack just before noon Saturday."

PatN perhaps?
I received a call about this last night. Unforntunately, the hiker who died was one of the VFTT community and the two hikers who were with him as well.

Ray was a great man and gentleman and I was happy to have had him with me on my 48, among others.

They were doing PATN, and came down Haystack Road.

My condolences go out to the family, thanks to the emergency workers that worked hard to get Ray out of the woods and special thoughts to our two friends who worked hard to help him and were there with Ray....
Last edited:
My most heartfelt condolences go out to his friends and family. I don't have the words other than to say I'm terribly sorry and sad that this happened.
My thoughts and prayers are with the family today.

I am so very sorry to hear about this --I'm in shock, I was invited along on this hike -- having never met Ray and only knowing him through this community -- and could not make it. Hugs to everyone on the hike, I cannot even imagine what you went through.
I heard the news report on the radio this morning and wondered if it was one of ours. My condolences to Ray's family and friends.
Oh how unbelievebly sad! I can only hope his family can take small comfort that he died doing something he loved, and he was not alone.

My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
Tuco said:
Ray was a great man and gentleman and I was happy to have had him with me on my 48, among others.

Thank you for saying something about the man himself.

I join his family and friends in mourning and am glad someone can celebrate his life.
Ray was a fine man. I had the pleasure of hiking with him several times, and enjoyed his company at several get togethers. My deepest condolences to Ray's family and friends.

Special thanks to the SAR people who responded and had the sad job of taking Ray out of the woods for his last time.

My thoughts and prayers are also with the two VFTT members who were with Ray at the time of his death. They did everything they could for Ray, which is all we can ask of them.
I got word of this yesterday afternoon and was stunned. MtnPa was called out on the SAR team, and it was soon apparent that it was indeed a member of our small VFTT community.

I don't believe that I was ever fortunate enough to meet Ray, but by all accounts, he was a wonderful man. My heart goes out to him, his family, and friends.

Deep appreciation to the SAR team who were called out to PAtN. I can only imagine the emotions that you all felt, and will continue to feel. You are truly our stewards. Rest assured that your efforts are what helped get his hiking partners through this tragic event.

Rest in Peace Ray.
Marty and I weren't sure what to say, if anything about this, but we talked this morning and decided we owe it to Ray. And to everyone who worked so hard to bring Ray down. Marty asked me to write something,as he is very busy with calling folks who were close to Ray, and helping Ray's cousin, his only living relative, to make arrangements. Marty will add his thoughts as he has time.
I'm not sure what to say, but I'll do my best.

First off, Ray was a strong hiker, and had done much more arduous hikes than this.

Marty, Ray, and I met at Munroe's for breakfast, where Ray picked up the tab, ever the gentleman. We headed off to PatN, and made it to the false summit around 11. Ray sat down on a log, and said he was feeling "heartburn" in his whole chest area, and slightly dizzy, but that it would come and go. we decided immediately to go down. After a couple minutes resting, Ray said he felt better, and we began to head down. Not 20 step into our descent, Ray moaned and collapsed. He was unresponsive, and we began CPR immediately and Marty called 911.

We were unsuccessful at reviving Ray, obviously.

NH F&G, and Pemi SAR made good time to us, and I want to thank them profusely. Each and every one of them were amazing. Bringing Ray off that mountain was a Herculean task. SAR decided to bring him down the way they had come up which was off the east side of the mountain, much farther up the road than where we had headed into the woods. There was a herd path there, and with darkness appraoching, that seemed like the most direct route to a road. This route drops 1200 feet in .5 miles, and these folks were simply amazing with the care they took with Ray. I cannot begin to express my gratitude for their hard work, and care. I wish I could remember all your names, but I can't. Thank you all so much.

I also want to thank all the folks on this forum. Your kind words, and heartfelt sympathy mean a great deal to Marty and I.
Sapblatt, I want to thank you for staying with Marty last night, you're a friend of the highest order.

Ray, if you can hear me, I owe you breakfast when we meet again.
Jason Berard said:
I'm not sure what to say, but I'll do my best.
Jason, it’s hard to imagine that there could be any more befitting words than those contained in your posting. You did indeed do your best!
Wow. My condolences to Ray's family and to Marty and Jason. Thanks for being there and for doing what you could in an impossible situation. I had the pleasure of hiking with Ray once, with several other VFTT folks, and I echo the statements about his being a gentleman and a fine man. It was a pleasure to spend a day with him.

To MtnPa and the rest of the SAR folks we owe our deepest respect and appreciation for what you all do for others. Your selflessness, skills, dedication, sensitivity and efforts are beyond comprehension for most of the rest of us. Thank you.
Ray was many things to me, friend, mentor, and hiking companion. I owe a huge debt for influencing me now as a young man. I was honored to have been with him on his 48 and 111 list completions. Hiking on a Sunday for him was a way of perfectly observing the Lord's Day, by being out and savoring the view and scenery with many of his friends.

There are many qualities Ray had that influenced me, such as his mannerisms and intellectual prowess. Most of all what cemented our friendship was our love of the outdoors and being able to have shared it with him was a blessing.

His memories still live on our hearts, he has gone home to become immortal.
I had the pleasure of shaking Ray's hand and exchanging a few words at the Four Thousand Footer Club ceremony in Exeter, NH in April. He was properly proud to be collecting his patch and scroll for completing the NE 67, as I recall. I had first met him at the same ceremony in 2007. I'm sorry I never got to hike with him, as he seemed like a great guy.
Last edited:
I'm sorry I never had the pleasure of meeting Ray. He sounds like a great guy.
My condolences to the family and to Jason and Marty who were there with Ray. I can't imagine how you must have felt.
Sadly, this is almost exactly one year since we lost another dear friend and VFTT'r, Bill Bowden. Let's hope this is not a trend.

Screen Name

Could some one tell us Ray's screen name so we can look back on past postings and smile with the man.

Rejoice in the mans life...Do not mourn his passing. He will be with us on every hike we do, watching over us...Making sure we step sure, and come home safe.