In praise of environmental progress

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, Griffin. That was my brother. The change in him happened after he complained too much about the nasty Merrimack River.

Peregrine Falcons return to the Adirondacks. As a climber, sometimes the falcons are a little bit in the way, but it's worth it to see them flying and hear their calls.

Nah, Griffin. That was my brother. The change in him happened after he complained too much about the nasty Merrimack River.

Well you tell your brother to stop with the strafing runs at people in the wee hours before we've had coffee :mad: ;)

I agree, it is nice to step back and look at the progress that's been made and not just the challenges/crises at hand. In fact, if I were an environmental organizer (or fundraiser), I'd use that progress as a rallying point: "See? We CAN make a difference..."

Striped bass were over-fished to the point of near extinction. Some years ago, they had a good year class for the fish. NMFS increased the federal minimum by 2" every year for 6 years or so and we caught TONS of fish that were 1-2" short for many years. Then they set the limit at 36" and one fish/angler/day for a few years. Now it's down to 28" and 2/day/angler in most areas. States can set more stringent requirements if they wish.

http://www.asmfc.org/speciesDocuments/stripedBass/profiles/speciesprofile.pdf

Codfish were 19" for years, and now are at 24" (10 max/angler). There has been a slight uptick the 19-23" fish the past few years, and along with mesh size increases for commercial guys, this is looking like it will make a difference.

Tim

"Atlantic salmon have been in trouble in New England for many years. Once abundant, populations of Atlantic salmon went extinct on the Connecticut and Merrimac Rivers in the 1800s as result of dam building which blocked access to spawning grounds. More recently, Atlantic salmon in the downeast' rivers in Maine have experienced substantial population declines. It is thought that these recent declines are part of a widespread decline in Atlantic salmon populations that may be caused by poor conditions in the ocean that are related to cyclical temperature patterns. Whatever the reason, these Maine populations have now been classified as threatened. But there is hope for Atlantic salmon too. Twenty-five years ago state and federal fisheries agencies joined forces to restore Atlantic salmon to southern New England. Two to five hundred salmon have been returning to the Connecticut River for each of the last twenty years, though all involved hope these numbers will increase."

"Last year the first natural spawning of Atlantic salmon in Massachusetts in over 150 years occurred on the Westfield River, a tributary of the Connecticut. In the coming years we can hope to see even more of the "king of fish" returning to the restored waters of the Connecticut."

Turkeys!

From Wildtimes (page 4 of pdf):It's getting difficult to drive up Rt 175 in Thornton without seeing a few!
Yep, I see a flock of turkeys around Holderness, NH at least once a week.

Moose were extremely rare only a few decades ago in the White Mtns. Turkeys are now very abundant. These two species were devasted by hunting but are now back due to management. Gotta give due credit.
Yep, we had a young female moose wander up our driveway about 3 months ago.

I saw a fisher about 2 months ago on our road.

Peregrine Falcons return to the Adirondacks. As a climber, sometimes the falcons are a little bit in the way, but it's worth it to see them flying and hear their calls.

And, on many cliffs in NH and Maine also, but a reasonable price to pay for seasonal cliff closings, I think.

In my hometown of Wellsboro, PA, there is a creek that passes along the edge of my old neighborhood (Charleston Creek). When we were kids back in the 60s-70s, everyone called it the sewer creek (crik). It received run-off from three local factories; Merganthaler, Borden, and Corning Glass. Some or all of them were polluting it mightily...we're talking florescent green color, disgusting smells, it was awful. On a recent visit "back home" my wife and I were walking near there and I was so happy to see Kingfishers and Blue herons plucking fish out of those waters. Nature can and does recover!

Turkeys are almost as common as crows around Albany and in a 75 mile radius. Just about everywhere.
The resurgence of Bald Eagles from the ADKs to Catskills is simply amazing. They were reintroduced to the NE states due to a NYS DEC program whereby Alaskan eagle chicks were taken from Alaskan nests and put on hacking platforms at the Alcove Resevoir, Albany's water supply. Done for a number of years and in conjunction with the elimination of DDT the Eagles are back all over and spreading. The Peregrines are multiplying quickly due to the same ban on DDT.
And moose, almost eradicated from NYS have been wandering across the border from NE (thanks, guys).
And the Hudson, which used to be a cesspool, is on its way back, accelerated by the dredging going on to remove the PCBs placed there over the decades.

Things are looking in in many ways. Biggest concern to all of us, though is the population declines with many birds and amphibians.

...So, let's hear some good news. What other signs of progress do you see in the natural world?

The number of polar bears is increasing.
It MUST be true, I saw it on tv.
True or not, it was the funniest news clip of the week (well, not for the guy on the stage).

The number of polar bears is increasing.
It MUST be true, I saw it on tv.
True or not, it was the funniest news clip of the week (well, not for the guy on the stage).
Global warming is reducing the Arctic ice pack which kills polar bears by denying them on-ice feeding grounds and forcing them to swim farther from land to the ice edge in summer (resulting in drownings).

So this one might be a loser. (Also seen on TV and other places.)

Doug

It is nice to hear about the Atlantic salmon's return to MA. When I was a student at UMass I went a few times to stock salmon fry. I would encourage you to volunter to do this (if they are still doing so)

Also smitty77, mentioned the Nashua and Miller rivers. These two rivrs are either close to or flow through my hometown (Winchendon, MA) I remember the trash and smell of the Millers and it was even worse down stream in places like Athol and Orange, MA. I also rememebr clearly playing the game "what color will the (Nashua) river be today" when we went to Fitchburg.

I live close to the Savanah River now, (close to Augusta, GA) and hear similiar stories of how polluted the river (and canal) was and how much life is now in it. Eagles and osprays are common, along with many other birds. Seems like this story is not isolated just to New England, that truely is a Blessing.

"Atlantic salmon have been in trouble in New England for many years. Once abundant, populations of Atlantic salmon went extinct on the Connecticut and Merrimac Rivers in the 1800s as result of dam building which blocked access to spawning grounds. More recently, Atlantic salmon in the downeast' rivers in Maine have experienced substantial population declines. It is thought that these recent declines are part of a widespread decline in Atlantic salmon populations that may be caused by poor conditions in the ocean that are related to cyclical temperature patterns. Whatever the reason, these Maine populations have now been classified as threatened. But there is hope for Atlantic salmon too. Twenty-five years ago state and federal fisheries agencies joined forces to restore Atlantic salmon to southern New England. Two to five hundred salmon have been returning to the Connecticut River for each of the last twenty years, though all involved hope these numbers will increase."

"Last year the first natural spawning of Atlantic salmon in Massachusetts in over 150 years occurred on the Westfield River, a tributary of the Connecticut. In the coming years we can hope to see even more of the "king of fish" returning to the restored waters of the Connecticut."

They probably won't ever return to the CT river in large enough number for a self sustaining population. However its still a good sign that the rivers tributaries are clean enough to support them

Last edited:
It is nice to hear about the Atlantic salmon's return to MA. When I was a student at UMass I went a few times to stock salmon fry. I would encourage you to volunter to do this (if they are still doing so)

Who did you go do this with ? I get invited every year and can never make it on that day

In the 1980's, I worked in the Waumbec Mills along the Merrimack River in Manchester, NH. At lunch, we used to sit on the ledge and look into the river, commenting on the open drainage pipes that were leaching into the water. Day-glo green and day-glo orange liquid-like substances used to eminate straight into the water. We used to chuckle at the poor souls downstream....

Now, it's a hot kayak and fishing spot.
One of my professors used to do factory work back in the 70s. He was in MA somewhere on the CT river, and the mill whose machine shop he ran was downstream from a clothing factory.

He said that they always knew what color clothing the factory was making on a given day because the river would literally be that color from the runoff. Apparently nothing lived in that stretch of the river in those days.

Apparently the factory shut down shortly after the tightening of environmental laws. :p

I'm not sure I'd go swimming in the CT river down here (if you've ever driven through Springfield, MA, you've smelled Bondi's island and understand my trepidation,) but it actually looks pretty clean these days at points further north.

I'm not sure I'd go swimming in the CT river down here (if you've ever driven through Springfield, MA, you've smelled Bondi's island and understand my trepidation,) but it actually looks pretty clean these days at points further north.

I grew up in Springfield and know all about Bondi's Island. That said, I used to fish for shad in the CT and Chicopee Rivers as a kid. Not that you would want to eat them even from pristine waters.

Tim

Lou, cannot recall it was back in 95 and 96. Believe it was thru the Mass Fish and Wildlife (?) They had an office on campus where we met. most of the folks that went were forestry majors with this lone entomology guy following them.:) It was a lot of fun walking down the streams.

here is a link from a quick search: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/fisheries/anadromous/salmon_fry_stocking.htm