Into the Wild yet anyone?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the film a few weeks ago in Manhattan. Like most everyone else, I highly recommend it. Terrific performances by Emile Hirsch and Catherine Keener. And in a small role near the end, Hal Holbrook will just break your heart.

September 2007 Outside magazine article

I read Krakauer's "Into the Wild" when it first came out (before he was made famous by his "Into Thin Air"), because I met him on numerous occasions in Boulder just before he set off on his McCandless-like solo attempt to climb a new route on Devils Thumb and I wanted to see how he revealed himself in the book. At the time, I had been reading Krakauer's periodic articles in Outside magazine, where he was a contributing editor (many of these articles were later compiled in his "Eiger Dreams"), and I was really impressed with how his writing style was evolving, which began at Hampshire College under the tutelage of David Roberts ("Mountain of My Fear," "Mount Deborah," two of my all-time favorite mountaineering books). Then, this past August, I read the article (link below) in Outside magazine that described Sean Penn's making of the film, which I saw when it came out a couple of weeks ago. I think that Penn was very faithful to Chris, his family, and Krakauer, but obviously the film could not incorporate Krakauer's own self reflections in the book, nor could the film have worked if told chronologically instead of the flashback style, in my opinion. I have seen some reviews that have attacked Penn for "glorifying a self-obsessed young man," but I think that many of us would be scrutinized in similar fashion by these pundits. This film (and book) had just as much impact on my own psyche as did Joe Simpson's "Touching the Void" a few years ago.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200709/into-the-wild-movie-1.html

A different opinion

I remember reading about McCandless’ death back in ‘92 (“Death of an Innocent”- Outside Magazine), and thinking that he was just a foolish young man who died needlessly in the back country of Alaska; that opinion still holds for me. Later, I saw Krakauer’s book about the incident, but never was interested enough to look at it.

In ‘02, I went to Alaska on a self-guided photography trip with a friend. While we were in the Denali area, we traveled up to Healy and drove a few miles on Stampede Road, which, at the time, was about as far in as you could drive a rented car. Afterward, I got a copy of Krakauer’s “Into the Wild”, and loved reading it - particularly the philosophy that was espoused.

I’ve never been a fan of Sean Penn, or his acting, but had read many good things about this film, in addition to seeing Penn‘s publicity interviews. Last night, my wife and I saw the movie, and can’t say that I loved it. The imagery of Alaska was wonderful, but that’s easy to do. What’s more difficult to accomplish is to convey the meaning of this true-life story, re-enact events involving many people that occurred over a course of two years, and to interpolate events that only the late Chris McCandless could have known. I didn’t really care for the multiple flashback technique of the movie, and thought that none of the nudity was necessary. In the 4 weeks between the national release of “Into the Wild“ and our local opening, I was surprised to read of it’s “R” rating. After seeing the film, I can understand the rating based on language content, the gory scene that depicted the moose being gutted, and of course, the nudity. As we walked back to our car, my wife asked me why the nudity had to be there, and I had no good answer. I can see justification for including the (very funny) scene by the Colorado River, if that’s what actually happened, according to the other people who were there, but the scene of Emile Hirsch, as McCandless, floating naked on his back was unnecessary. That scene, like other parts of the film where McCandless was alone, was created in Penn’s mind, unless there was written or anecdotal evidence of it’s occurrence. That is certainly within Penn’s rights as author of the screenplay; I just disagree with his interpretation. I was also disappointed with the underdevelopment of the character played by Hal Holbrook, as I recall that Ron Franz seemed to have been more important in the book. For a movie that ran about 2:20, much was left out. Maybe the DVD will fill some gaps.

I did enjoy parts of the film; it’s a very emotional movie and one particular scene hit very close to home for me. Emile Hirsch’s performance as Alexander Supertramp was believable, but it’s difficult to “act” like you weigh only 67 pounds, as McCandless did when recovered approximately 2 weeks after his death. You have to wonder, if not for the tainted (or poisonous) food, would Chris McCandless have survived long enough to be rescued? But then nobody would have ever heard of Alexander Supertramp. How many of us have done stupid things, but managed to get away with it, thus avoiding the subsequent post-mortem publicity, news articles, and possible book? I think some of us are fortunate to be living, and not famous.

I really wanted to like this movie. My one word review: “Disappointing“. And I’m still not a fan of Sean Penn. - Bob VH

Last edited:
I don't remember....

It has probably been a decade since I read the book and do intend to read it again. I was slightly confused by Chris' character frequently talking to himself throughout - in a way that would make you question his sanity. Does anyone remember a mention of this from the book or would this be part of the artistic license previously mentioned? I know you'd have to question the sanity of those who decide to spend a great deal of time in a remote area almost completely unprepared. I just felt it portrayed an unstable edge I just didn't remember from the book.

Another question...did the film seem a little washed out to everyone else? I was debating with my boyfriend if it was shot that way or the fault of the old art cinema in which we saw the movie. The only color that really stood out was the animal blood.

The agree that last scene in the truck with Hal Holbrook was remarkable....and a little hard to watch. Like eavesdropping on a heartbeaking and deeply personal conversation.

eddogg12 said:
I read the book, Still trying to locate a theatre where the film is being played. I just can't understand why the film wasn't released in more areas.

Spectrum 7 on Delaware in Albany. I suspect that's the only place it's gonna be in our area. Saw it there on Friday - first day it was there. Outstanding movie. Agree with the comments of many other posters here. Additionally, I really thought the voice-overs by McCandless' sister added a powerful dimension that was absent in the book. That and the amazing visual aspect of a movie as opposed to reading. Both were good in their own way.

My opinion fits somewhere between the less popular Algonquin Bob's take on the movie and all the others' glowing reviews.

What I liked about the book were the numerous tangents that Krakauer talked about during Chris McCandless' adventure. I thought it made the story more interesting and brought a variety of perspectives to the story. The movie, as expected, focused in on McCandless and lost all the depth provided by other people's experiences. The relationships the movie focused on were a bit skewed from the portrayal in the book--for example, the old man was a huge presence in the book and a very minor character in the movie. I don't recall the weird encounter with a Danish couple in the Grand Canyon in the book either. I don't remember the teenybopper love interest either--I thought he had a closer (nonsexual) relationship with the older hippie woman Jan.

I give credit to the actor who played McCandless--I think he did as well as anyone could in that challenging role. He did lose quite a bit of weight for the final scenes of the movie, of course he couldn't get to 67 pounds, how ridiculous.

Seriously, it didn't have to be 2.5 hours long. I was getting really ancy.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd wait til it comes out for rental. That way you can schedule an intermission :) Oh, and read the book, it's a good, enjoyable read--and maybe Krakauer's original Outside article.

IMHO.

I remember reading about this in Outside Magazine back in 1992, as I was preparing to move to Alaska myself.

At the time, my heart went out to his family, especially his mom, who had sewn the sleeping bag he was using, (and found in) from a Frostline kit. I remember that because I had just sewn myself one, from the same kit...

It surprises me because I have chosen NOT to read any more about this sad situation, for a lot of reasons. Yet I remember SO much about this kid, from reading 1 magazine article 15 years ago. I think what I remember most is wishing he had brought a map of the area, so he would know to walk up or downstream to a bridge to get to 'safety'.

I think it is simply out of respect for Chris that I don't read what other people 'think' he was thinking or going through or experiencing. I remember that he did write a sort of journal in the margins of the few books he brought, and I believe he even drew out the peas he suspected of poisoning himself with.

I can not imagine what his family is going through, with his life and death all over the news and movie screen and intenet again. It must feel to them like it is happening all over again.

Very sad...

The visuals alone are worth seeing it on the big screen. If you choose not to go to the theater, at least watch it on a widescreen tv...

Why?

Originally Posted by dvbl
I'll definitely see it...when I can borrow it for free from my local library. Sean Penn isn't getting a penny from me.

Ditto.
- darren

Care to elaborate?

(This is a serious question; basically all I know about Sean Penn is that he was once married to Madonna.)

Stinkyfeet said:
Care to elaborate?

(This is a serious question; basically all I know about Sean Penn is that he was once married to Madonna.)

In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have made the comment because it does not relate to hiking / backcountry.

Sean Penn is a very controversial person and chooses to put himself in the middle of controversy. That stuff has no place on this website so I'll ask that the Sean Penn stuff be left out of this thread.

Now as for widescreen aspect.....51" hi-def widescreen...I just have to wait until I go home to see it on it.

- darren

ps: ok, I can't resist, he is a convicted wife beater and that is reason enough not to give him a penny. But please no more Penn posts.

Last edited:
FWIW, Sean Penn and Jon Krakauer are on TV right now (Thursday 10/25, 10-11pm on the Sundance Channel, program titled "Iconoclasts") discussing the book, movie, and other topics. The program repeats later tonight at:
3am early Friday, 10/26
6pm Friday, 10/26
2pm Saturday, 10/27
11am Sunday, 10/28
11pm Monday, 10/29​
If you love or hate Sean Penn you may have a similar opinion about this program. There was some great Alaska scenery and climbing shots during the program.

Last edited:
Mark Schaefer said:
FWIW, Sean Penn and Jon Krakauer are on TV right now (Thursday 10/25, 10-11pm on the Sundance Channel, program titled "Iconoclasts") discussing the book, movie, and other topics. The program repeats later tonight at:
3am early Friday, 10/26
6pm Friday, 10/26
2pm Saturday, 10/27
11am Sunday, 10/28
11pm Monday, 10/29​
If you love or hate Sean Penn you may have a similar opinion about this program. There was some great Alaska scenery and climbing shots during the program.

Thanks for the heads up. I just finished watching this show. Beautiful footage.

An Alaskan Perspective on the Movie

‘Into the Wild’ opens elsewhere in America today, but not in Fairbanks
By Dermot Cole
Staff Writer Fairbanks News-Miner
Published September 21, 2007

ON SCREEN: The opening moments of Sean Penn’s adaptation of “Into the Wild” feature familiar Fairbanks landmarks, ranging from Down Under Guns and Second Avenue to Creamer’s Field, the Big I and Gold Hill Liquor.

Director Sean Penn and his crew filmed those scenes in Fairbanks a year ago in April. The elaborate precautions taken to fill the parking spaces outside each Fairbanks establishment with an assortment of pre-1993 pickups and Cadillacs did not produce cinematic glory for those rigs, however. Most of the Fairbanks scenes show the local attractions for a few seconds, minus the vintage vehicles.

[Moderator Hat]Please provide a link to copyrighted articles[/MH]

Last edited by a moderator:
kwc said:
‘ON SCREENIn the interests of authenticity, Krakauer ought to put this unpublished theory to a scientific test or admit that the poor young man starved to death 25 miles from Healy because among other things he didn’t tell anyone where he was going, carry a map, a high-powered rifle, survival gear, emergency rations and he didn’t start a signal fire to get help.

Amen....
I am so happy to have been enlightened on what Krakauer "OUGHT" to do! And I do not want to mention the "Penn" name. (He's such a loser.) Wouldn't it be wonderful if at age 23 we all had the "wisdom of the years?"
Heck, when I started hiking at about age 30, I was blessed to encounter "lady luck" because I should have been dead 10x over and I didn't even make it to Alaska.
I never had a clue that being ignorant to certain facts or naive equated one to being mentally ill. I suppose seeking for "truth" in an unconventional way would be enough to qualify one for that diagnosis. Maybe he should have taken Ritalin or some other mind altering drug instead. That would have been way cool in today's society.
Was Krakauer insane because he climbed Devil's Thumb and had a near death experience? How about Reinhold Messner?
The beauty of all of this is, no one was there during Chris McCandless's last 4 months on earth. We can all try to decipher what his exact experience was but none of us know for certain and we never will. Science can try to explain it but it certainly isn't fool proof.
I wonder how Chris's parents feel about this article? Someone is bound to lead them right to it.
Maybe they are smarter than I was and won't bother to read it.
On that note, I think I will go see the movie again. I enjoyed it that much and it speaks to me like the modern day "trash" does not.
I could go on and on about what might or might not have happened out there to Chris but it would all be conjecture.
I will just enjoy the account as it was presented and I am deeply sorry that Chris did not himself live to tell about it.

Last edited:
Lessons

Perhaps the biggest lesson here is to (1) Call your mother and (2) Don't leave notes behind for mis-interpretation by the "experts".

I recall once way up on a wall I was going to take a photo of our ridiculous (read: bodyweight only) belay anchor. Thinking through the likely series of events, I chose not to take the photo because I didn't want anyone developing the images postmortem and determining that we were idiots who deserved what we got. "Let them wonder" I thought, "let them assume we were being safe".

McCandless left just enough information in his wake to entice a biographer and scant enough information to create mystique and intrigue. That's the story, not simply another 20-something Outsider dead in AK.

The Eddie Vedder sound track is amazing. The song lyric 'falling safely to the ground' beautifully affirms (our collective) need to live fully and to measure ourselves in the outdoors..

Check it out. It could become your new anthem.

-C

Last edited by a moderator:
caleb said:
The Eddie Vedder sound track is amazing. The song lyric 'falling safely to the ground' beautifully affirms (our collective) need to live fully and to measure outdoors in the outdoors..

Check it out. It could become your new anthem. Bittorrent.
I too really liked the soundtrack. The song is "Long Nights", and for instant gratification:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEwNEbFqqfU