Katahdin 2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My winter solo ascent of Sentinel from Abol Bridge was the best hike I did in Baxter, which includes Katahdin via Abol Slide. the hike in was long but it was a really awesome sampler since I hiked on some XC Ski trails, past Daicey and Kidney Pond, I got a chance to do some bushwacking and Sentinel just has fantastic views of Katahdin's west side. I think it was a 17 mile hike, with a lot of breaking trail and not seeing a sole. It was awesome.

It was a lot nicer and clearer day than Chip and I's Katahdin summit.

Jay

In terms of maps - my favorite for Baxter itself is published by the Wilderness Map Company. I have an older copy, but checking their website, I think they still have the same version. My hunch is the graphics will even better with the latest version.

For peaks other than Baxter, look for the AMC series. They can be ordered online also.

Count me in as well. Heard that BSP is a bear to manage with permits, etc. I have Maine relatives, but not sure that that helps. Going with an unruly mob sounds perfect.

Just turned 60, and a bit slower than the old days. We finished the VT5 this year, and bagged 4 Maine peaks around Sugarloaf in August. What a drive from NJ!

Plus I'm only 43 ;)

Same here. No minimum age requirements apply! So put it on yer calendar now! :p

What a drive from NJ!

Tell me about it. Exactly the reason I plan to spend a LOT of time up there. Fortunately, I get more vacation and sick days than I can possibly use.

In terms of maps - my favorite for Baxter itself is published by the Wilderness Map Company. I have an older copy, but checking their website, I think they still have the same version. My hunch is the graphics will even better with the latest version.

For peaks other than Baxter, look for the AMC series. They can be ordered online also.

Thanks for this post, Kevin! It looks like an awesome map ...... and being a map-geek, I'll probably end up with a stack of maps ...... and guidebooks too. :rolleyes:

While I have not seen Wilderness Map System's map for Baxter State park, I do have the WMS's map for Katahdin, but that only shows the trails for Katahdin and not the surrounding peaks. It does look good though. When I was in baxter I had the AMC's Maine Mountain Guide maps as well as I think Map Adventure's Baxter S.P. maps.

Jay

Katahdin

I did the 4k's in this park in one trip and here's what I can say

I did not enjoy the roaring brook campground- the only good thing is that it is conveniently at a trail head. It is a typical car-camping situation with the out house door banging all night long- no privacy- not very nice campsites- except a few that seemed to be off by themslves down a path. But, If you approach from this side there is a chance of doing a loop hike. Go early- as early as possible for the top.

I liked Chimney Ponds- really beautiful campsites and remote and wild! Ranger station is there so you will get "the talk" from the ranger (a conversation designed to gauge your abilities where you will be warned about the dangers of hiking this peak. If there is even a remote chance of rain the rangers will probably urge you to not go for it. On a beautiful day where there was a 20% chance of rain the rangers were very discouraging. And while I may sound a bit sour on the rangers there, I am sure that this talk saves lives and cuts down on SAR)

Get an reservation early. Weekends are busy- if you can go mid-week- even better. I showed up on a lovely mid-June and mid-week evening and got a place at Roaring Brook. OK, it was the last campsite and probably why it blew.

If you can camp outside of the park there are places along the Golden Highway, which is outside of Baxter and to the west of the park. Several campgrounds near Abol Bridge. I had a great campsite on the Penobscot for 5 bucks/night/person. Vault-style crapper was far enough away from the campsites not to be an issue. Plenty of stealth camping available, too, down logging roads.

If you do camp outside of the park and opt to pay the daily entry fee- go very early as the park fills up.

Like many of the "High Peaks" in the Adirondacks you will have lots of company on Baxter Peak- it is the most visited mountain in the park, but any where else and you will feel like the lord of all you survey. Like the Adirondacks, expect morning fog and afternoon showers.

After I ascended Baxter I went over to Hamlin and only saw two people (as opposed to the 50 that I saw on Baxter- and this was before noon). There was a pretty good spring on the way there- it's on the maps. And while Baxter Peak was fogged in (AM summit) I had great views from clear as a bell Hamlin(PM Summit). I descended via the Hamlin Ridge trail and saw no one. I enjoyed this trail very much. It is obviously much less used then the Saddle Trail and not as scary as the Knife Edge. It reminded me a bit of the descent off of Colvin into Elk Pass meets The Caps Trail (NH)- if you know what I mean.

Anyway- there is alot to see in the park- enjoy!

Hey Bob,

I'll loan you my Maine guide book and maps if you like. I can leave them with Topofgothics. I've been to the park several times and done all the 4K's and NEHH as well so I can share beta with you anytime. Maybe we could talk David into this trip? If you would allow a couple of more 40 somethings:D!

Hope your feeling good!

Thanks Terri. I just ordered the Stephen Clark guide, but I'll take anything you're willing to lend me. When I started this thread, I didn't know Katahdin had multiple summits, so I'm learning, :cool: and you guys are quite welcome to join us!

Are there any......

"group" sites inside of the park where some of us could camp at one site (similar to Barnes Field in the Whites?) This would make it a true "mini" gathering :D, rather than just a group of people meeting to do a day hike. Does anyone know if this is allowed or even feasable with regard to the permit system @ Baxter?....Stu

Did someone say Baxter?

I make 6 or 7 trips to Baxter each season climbing and hiking, and writing for the ALDHA Companion.
Some quick thoughts:
Check out http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/index.html to learn about reservations, see campground maps, read rules, and find out about the rolling reservation system - where held back sites for Mainers go up for grabs two weeks out.
Only go in June if you like blackflies. Mid-August to mid-September can be glorious.
You're probably not going to get a cabin, those are prized 'gets' and go to Mainers who play the system.
Chimney Pond might be my favorite campground on Earth - but it doesn't open until June 1st, when the blackflies invade.
If your goal is only Katahdin's Baxter Peak, stay at Abol Campground two nights. The Slide looks tougher than it is.
Roaring Brook is a 'touristy' campground - ask for the quieter walk-in sites, and start all hikes before the gatehouse opens.
Katahdin Stream can get busy, but it's a fantastic base camp. I advise southbound thru- hikers to get a lean-to here for the nights before and after their climb.
Nesowadnehunk (say SAW-dah-hunk) has group sites, way up the perimeter road from Katahdin Stream, is good for hikes of Doubletop, Fort, Coe, etc.
Foster Field on the west, and the brandy new Bear Brook on the east are group sites. Bear Brook has both bears and a brook, and is wicked nice as an alternative to Roaring Brook.
Loop hikes out of Sandy Stream or Chimney Pond can 'bag' peaks galore. Hamlin is my favorite side of Katahdin so keep it our secret, please.
The Wilderness Map Co has a great map of Katahdin, DeLorme has a great map of the whole Park.
Please do other stuff besides climbing stuff. There are moosey ponds, canoes and kayaks, natural water slides, flat backcountry hikes, and good fishing.
The Great Basin from this October:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28768&catid=member&imageuser=314
Chimney Pond from this September:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27989&catid=member&imageuser=314
Katahdin from the east this past June:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25587&catid=member&imageuser=314

Enjoy planning your trip!

Last edited:
I did 'the loop' several years back with 5 friends, how we got reservations for 6 at Chimney Pond I will never tell! :rolleyes:

It was one of my most memorable trips ever.

We spent 2 nights at CP and had the best weather you could hope for.

We did it clockwise, up Dudley to Pamola, across the Knife Edge South Peak, on to Baxter then the Saddle Trail to Hamlin Ridge and back to Chimney Pond.

Did I mention, the weather was stellar?!

I did have an issue climbing down from Pamola, but it was my own fault. I am 5' 3" and was having a hard time with footing, but all I needed to do was relax and concentrate a bit and then all was fine. Getting up the Chimney was a breeze for me, but I would NOT have wanted to climb down it. :eek:

I was already on South Peak and still asking where the Knife Edge was, so I guess that part wasn't an issue for me! ;)

Good luck with reservations, and on the hike, as I said, it was one of the best I have done in 25+ years!

:)

Looks great, and I love the photos. As a verteran Adirondack hiker, all of those campgrounds/trailheads just seem to be too close to the summit. I don't know if I can handle a loop hike of less than 15 miles! :D Chimney Pond looks like the place to be to enjoy ALL of Katahdin. :cool:

When does the reservation 'season' start at BSP for the July 13th week target ?

I'll check with my ME relatives. Maybe we can can get 'homie' status at BSP.

Maine residents get first crack at reservations, they also get 1st dibs on unused spots. This is the way Mr. Baxter wanted it. When I was at BSP last, I was living in ME. I hope we can use a Maine connection to get a reservation. We need to reserve 4 months ahead, and we can mail the reservation 1 week before that 4 month limit. The folks at BSP are very gracious and can tell you/us when to start begging.
Sandy

par-dee!

I'm thinking that I want to be at Chimney Pond CG when I set out to do the Hamlin-Baxter-knife edge loop. Maybe we need to also get the group camp by Roaring Brook. Hard to believe we have to wait nearly 4 more months just to request a reservation. So you can reserve a lean-to at Chimney Pond? Cool. :cool:

Maine residents get first crack at reservations, they also get 1st dibs on unused spots.
When those spots remain unused they go up for grabs to anyone:
2. Last minute reservations during the camping season (14-days or less before you would arrive at the Park). If you would like to camp in the Park in the next 14 days or less, we will accept your reservation by phone. Phone-in reservations are limited to one reservation per call and one call per person per day.
more at:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html
With visitor numbers trending down, the 14 day call in rule almost always gets me a spot when I need an extra trip.

I'm thinking that I want to be at Chimney Pond CG when I set out to do the Hamlin-Baxter-knife edge loop. Maybe we need to also get the group camp by Roaring Brook. Hard to believe we have to wait nearly 4 more months just to request a reservation. So you can reserve a lean-to at Chimney Pond? Cool. :cool:
Recruit a Mainer to be at BSP HQ the morning marking four months ahead of the day you want your stay to start and you're in like Flynn! :D

ALG Bob -- please count me in on your plans. I have the three Baxter peaks to finish to complete the N67 -- and time's awastin'!

Those dates in July sound fine to me. The only caveat is that some news event _ like a freakin' hurricane _ could have me scrapping plans at the last minute. (That's what happened to me this year with the five half marathons I signed up for; I had to cancel each one because of hurricanes and Palin.)

My personal druthers are to stay at one of the tentsites, but I'm flexible...

ALG Bob -- please count me in on your plans. I have the three Baxter peaks to finish to complete the N67 -- and time's awastin'!
You got it! :cool: When it's time to make reservations, I'll post some info here, then begin a new thread.

Recruit a Mainer to be at BSP HQ the morning marking four months ahead of the day you want your stay to start and you're in like Flynn! :D

I'm working on it! :D

Got my DeLorme BSP/Katahdin map today. It has good info on the back, but I'm a bit disappointed that the contour lines are too light and very difficult to see. Is there a National Geographic map for Baxter? My Stephen Clark guide and map should also arrive this week. I want to go NOW! :cool: