light backpack suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I'm looking at getting a new backpack (roughly in the 3000-3500cu in range) & was wondering about suggestions. My current pack is a little smaller but I've gotten used to a few of the features: a good set of zipper pockets (one on each side that can easily hold a 1L water bottle, and two smaller ones on the back), and loop(s) to temporarily attach one or two collapsed hiking poles when I'm hiking the steep spots of Welch/Dickey or the Baldfaces.

any favorites? Comfort, lightweight, and price (would like to stay below $150) are my priorities. I was looking at a Kelty Redwing 3100 but those mesh water bottle pockets are kind of evil as they always seem to be too small or the bottle works its way loose.

arghman said:
I was looking at a Kelty Redwing 3100 but those mesh water bottle pockets are kind of evil as they always seem to be too small or the bottle works its way loose.

Hmm, thats odd because I have yet to ever have a problem with my Nalgene's popping out on me. In fact, I absolutely LOVE my Kelty Redwing. Not a single complaint except that it is a bit small for my tastes s a winter day pack.

Brian

Possibly check out the Deuter Futura line. Picked up a futura zero 40 liter this season and it has been like a best friend to me. Have done a couple of overnights with it carrying 25-30 lbs with maximum comfort. Reasonably priced as well, think i paid $100 @ rei.

Last edited:
Granite Gear packs

Check em.

Nimbus Ozone is great, but they have others too.

There are many lightweight packs. I have an old Kelty which is no longer made, so can't recommend that one. I have tried on a number of Granite Gear packs and they get high marks from long-time users. Same for GoLite and Gregory. There are some ultralight packs, but they have weight limits due to their minimalist straps and waistbelts.

If I was getting a new pack in the size you want, I'd be getting a Granite Gear just because they seem to fit me really well, but as with everything, you need to try them on to be sure about fit.

I'm currently using an Osprey Atmos 65, which is a bit bigger than you are looking for, but I can say it is a great pack. I would look into the 50 as it should be right up your alley. Not sure if the price comes in under $150, but on sale you should be close....

I have no complaints with the Osprey, and would recommend it wihtout hesitation.

Another vote for Osprey. My new favorite warm weather pack is a Stratos 24, large. Rated at 1700cc/26 liters - it's smaller than the Atmos. Has a great mesh back so isn't quite as hot. You can put a water bladder either in that space or inside the pack itself. Has nice touches, like zipper mesh compartments on the waist belts for snacks, so you don't have to take off your pack to graze.

I have both an Atmos 35 & 65. Though I don't have their mid-range pack, I will attest to their durability. When doing my research I had stumbled on some complaints about their stitching on the seams bursting. I have had no problems with this at all. I consider this good because at times I have used the 35 as my lightweight/moving fast trailwork pack and it has been more than overloaded inside and out. No problems with sleeves for water bottles either.

I, too have the blue Osprey Talon 33. I'd say that these are nice packs except they are really more useful with hydration bladders than nalgenes because the side pockets are somewhat hard to get bottles back in, unless you are a contortionist with your arms. Also, if used as a winter pack, I have not found a good way to carry snowshoes. (it's not meant to be a winter pack but I rather not buy 50 packs for 50 lifestyles..) :)

Jay

I have an Osprey Talon 33 - in chili. Makes my Kelty Redwing feel like a bag of cement. I think the Talon wieghs in at 1.5 pounds?? Really like it alot. Au contraire, Jay, you just aren't trying hard enough. I can fit my MSR's Denali Evo Ascents in the front pocket, with a little extra help from a carabiner and the two elastic straps on the Talon that are meant for cinching down trekking poles. :p

Another vote for the Atmos 50

I have found it VERY versatile for 4 season day hikes- many options regarding how you want to set the pack up regarding hydration, snowshoes, crampons and poles. Great suspension and I love the hip belt pockets for small odds and ends. It has proved to be bullet proof on my bush whacks, with no tearing when snagged by nasty spruce

When Al and I were climbing Basin this past winter via CCB, I had my Northern Lites which are 25" long I had to put the tails in the outer pocket and biner' the tips together. However, it would want to fall back out away from the body so I also had to biner the tips to the carry loop, worked but it was awkward. Sometimes the tips would pull out of the pocket and then be hanging from the carry straps. If I had a hydration bladder, I could put the tips in the side pockets and then biner the tips to the carry loop, like I did with my old Lowe Alpine countour runner...

I also think sometimes its a PITA to get into the inner body, but then that's just a packing issue, try to pack everything you'll need in the top shelf or outer pocket. Or get a talon 22. ;)

Jay

Another vote for Osprey. I just got the Aether 70 and love it. Less then 5 lbs, great weight distribution and lots of good straps for perfecting fit. Just used it on two warm up trips and will be taking for 7 days on the Long Trail. Agreed that it is better with a bladder then with water bottles though.

If there's one thing I hate it's a pack that's heavy when empty. I have no use for all that heavy and cushy padding and suspension stuff.

That's why I'm very happy with my 2 GoLite packs, the Jam and the Jam 2. Not only are they tough (the Jam has done more than 50 gnarly whacks and keeps on truckin'.) but they are very light and inexpensive. Surprisingly comfortable to wear, too.