Madison via Valley Way - 11/10/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mad05a.jpg

I hiked up King Ravine six weeks ago on a hot early fall day but didn't end up summiting anything. For this trip we definitely wanted to get to the peak and things worked out just fine. Amy and I met at Appalachia just before 8:00 AM; Amy's only other trip up Madison was in the fog and she didn't see a thing. Today was promising better weather, although very different.

It was bare ground from the trailhead up to about 3000' where we began to get some ice and a little bit of leftover snow. As we climbed, the snow depths built up until by 4000' it was pretty good coverage. We kept seeing hints of blue sky above us but also bands of clouds, so we weren't sure what we'd fine up top. What we could tell was that there was little wind, and we hadn't seen another hiker all day.

We got to the hut around 11:45 and it was warm, sunny, and still. We both pulled out our thermoses and had soup and tea, then some lunch. While we had thought about Adams, Madison seemed to be a better choice with the amount of daylight we had left. So up we went, passing two groups coming down who had postholed their way up Watson Path. There was no one else up top when we got there, it's nice to have a summit to yourself on such a great day.
mad28a.jpg

After 15 minutes up top it was time to head down. Just above the hut I spotted a hiker coming up who looked familiar. It was Chomp, who had come up Chemin des Dames from King Ravine and was a little worse for wear. There was much deeper snow down there, and the rock hopping was slow and difficult. We hadn't needed crampons or Stabilicers all day, and it made for fairly quick travel. He was going to catch up with us anyways so we headed down.

There's about 1' of light fluffy snow up there, and by the time we were headed down it was packed pretty will. There was some good boot skiing coming off Madison and then again just below the hut. The icy sections were indeed a bit troublesome, but were safely negotiated. Chomp caught up to us about 1/3 of the way down and we chatted the rest of the way; reaching the trailhead just about 4:00 PM. I was thankful we didn't need to hike out in the dark, not one of my favorite things.

Off to buy some food and head to Barnes Field for a fun night.

Photos are HERE.

-dave-

Yea yea yea, rub it in with your fabulous shots of clear blue sky. We the creative type prefer views that require imagination ;). That was an awesome hike you have there, very envy but never regret with our choice to hike King Ravine, ours was fun in a less conventional way :rolleyes: .

Awesome pictures and TR! What a fun weekend!! Great hike, great party.

Reactions: arm
Geez, another great report from Sat...
Doesn't get better than that great weather!!

It was good running into you and Amy on Madison. I was really exausted when I saw you guys the first time and I was still on my way to the summit. I had somewhat recovered when I caught back up to you on Valley Way, but I was definitely "swiming" in my head a little bit. It was great to have good company on the rest of the way down to the parking lot. Pretty awesome day up there.

skimom said:
Great TR and pics...

We made the decision right from the get-go that we would forego the sunshine, the pretty blue sky, the white-capped distant mountains, and the rest of the great views in order to demonstrate the variable weather of the mountains.

LMAO....good one, Dani. :D

Whoa - think I'm still a little dizzy from that photo of Chomp! It's like having a glug-induced flashback ;)

Dave - your pictures are fabulous, as usual. What a great weekend. I have to say we got some of the most spectacular views I've seen hiking in the Whites - more than made up for the sleet & fog on Madison the first time around!

Nice to meet everyone too!

Oh.. its *ON* now, Metsky! You called down the thunder... well YOU GOT IT! You better be careful in the future... I'm not going anywhere without my camera now.

chomp said:
I'm not going anywhere without my camera now.
You had your camera on that hike; it just wasn't working. :)

Never go into a gun fight without bullets for your knife, or something like that.

giggy said:
its party time glug glug glug.

It's called glögg.......captain morgan, merlot and the Swedish special spice mix found at IKEA.....served hot......similar to German Gluewein.
http://www.ling.su.se/staff/evali/glogg.htm

I add som captain morgan to spice it up a little extra.....skipped the almonds and raisins since people have mixed feelings about them anyway......choking hazard also :eek: .....all six pots I made were gone before 9pm :D