Mahoosuc area loop - Day hike or short backpack ideas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goose Eye and Mahoosuc Notch can be very readily combined into a rugged dayhike or a more leisurely 2-day hike. All while accessing from the east. You just need to look at the topo map. It's pretty obvious:

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=44.53170,-70.95984&z=14&t=T

Hint: Wright Trail --> Goose Eye --> Mahoosuc Notch --> back to start

Last edited:
I've seen that dotted line before, and wondered what really/still exists there. That said, bushwhacking into the end of Mahoosuc Notch could be anything from invigorating to suicidal. :)

Hint: Wright Trail --> Goose Eye --> Mahoosuc Notch --> back to start
I've seen that dotted line before, and wondered what really/still exists there. That said, bushwhacking into the end of Mahoosuc Notch could be anything from invigorating to suicidal. :)

That is a great idea, on paper at least.

If you flip over to satellite view you'll see that there is very much a road up in there. And an older road that extends west to within .5ish of the foot of the notch. Hmmmmmm....... :D

Are you talking about the old road from Mahoosuc Notch to the Wright trailhead? Because if so it's an easy-peasy 'whack. The hardest part will be finding the road and that isn't that hard. The road is overgrown but easily followed. I've hiked officially maintained trails that are harder to follow.
-vegematic

Goose Eye/Carlo Col from Success Pond Rd: Goose Eye Trail is a ok and in the woods until the summit..then head south on Mahoosuc and head down over steep ground (ladder etc) up over to Carlo with some alpine meadow terrain..Carlo Col shelter of course..the Carlo Col trail then descends to the trailhead sometimes in or near the brook and near the recently logged area, where it was recently relocated, with a few crossings of the brook..least that was last year late!!

Last edited:
Last fall I really enjoyed a late October hike up Goose Eye, Carlo, and Success. It's not the longest of days, but makes for a nice loop with fantastic views.

I parked at the Success trailhead, then walked back down to the Success Pond Rd. The first pickup truck stopped for my thumb, and made it short work to the Goose Eye trailhead.

Fantastic views, nice trail, although I wish I hadn't forgotten my Microspikes at home.

There's a nice outlook on the descent of the Success Trail.

Aside from the hunters who provided the lift, we did not encounter a soul.

Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bkulas/GooseEyeCarloSuccess10242010

The Bull Brook dashed line is an old well built logging road that will take a long time to disapear. Outward Bound has(had) a facility on the Sunday River road and runs(ran) backpacking trips in the area. They or someone else had a couple of flagged routes from the end of Mahoosuc Notch to the old Bull Branch Road. There is a large former logging camp clearing as the trail make the turn to climb up Mahoosuc arm (a few minities after the trail diverges from the stream at then end of the notch. Down slope from the logging clearing was a large flat area that also has some great campsites The area is open woods and I dont remember very thick going. It would be very hard not to hit the old road from the base of the notch.

This route in cobmination with the Notch trail makes a very fast way of accessing Mahoosuc notch but given the report of the east end of Success Pond road being closed, the car shuttle would take longer than the hike. I suspect that it s best use is to make a long day hike up the wright trail, north on the AT along the open ridge to Fulling Mill Mountain, down throuhg the notch and back to the car via the old road.

I loved The Outlook and you should definetely consider stopping down there. 180 degree view across the valley (except for part that is blocked by the ridge itself), we watched the cog railway go up washington the day I was there.

I ran into Ed Hawkins and Guy Jubinville yesterday and found out that the Carlo Col Trail has been rerouted around the clear cut -- so that's good news -- Goose Eye/Carlo Loop is a nice day hike. :)

Wow, thanks for starting this thread. I'm planning to hike up there soon, and I've been wondering what's open and what's not. I've only ever done Goose Eye and Old Speck, but I want to do MORE! on that trail system.