Medicinal Benefits of Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmac

Reaction score
I stumbled across this recent article today:
"For Good Health: Take a Hike!" from Miller-McCune Online.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/health/for-good-health-take-a-hike-796

A short excerpt :
"Millions of Americans who like to hike believe that hiking contributes to good physical and mental health. And yet, until recently, nearly all evidence offered for the benefits of taking a hike was anecdotal, and very little hiking-specific scientific research supported that belief."

Also see the interesting comments on uphill and downhill hiking.

Personal anecdote:

In September 2008 I was diagnosed with lung cancer that could not be treated surgically. I began a series of six chemotherapy treatments in early November, and completed the series about five weeks ago. The good news is that the primary tumor has responded well to the treatment (it has shrunk significantly) and I am feeling well. My next date with the oncologist is in June. The oncologist expresses both hope and a reassuring level of confidence that my cancer, while incurable, can be “managed” as a “chronic disease.” Although I do not know what the future holds I look forward to getting back on the trail and hiking as the weather improves in the weeks and months ahead.

What does "hiking and health" have to do with this? Read on.

Looking back, my lung cancer symptoms probably emerged noticeably just short of a year ago. I work as a newspaper photographer, which is a fairly physical job – lots of being on your feet, walking, lugging equipment, etc., plus long hours. The job became tougher last spring. I found myself beset with shortness of breath upon exertion, some persistent coughing and increasing weariness (fatigue).

Last spring and summer, I noted that over the last couple of years I’d become somewhat more sedentary than usual, and had put on some weight. Plus, I was getting older – 64 years – and attributed some of my slowdown to age. But the symptoms got worse, to the extent that I did no hiking during my usual summer vacation. Finally, in August, I went to my doctor.

Doc ordered up three things: A suite of blood tests, a heart evaluation, and a chest X-Ray.

The truth is, I was fully expecting to be diagnosed as having entered a phase of congestive heart failure.

The spot on my lung revealed by the X-Ray was a shocker. Additional imaging tests indicated a tumor, a bronchoscopy indicated cancer, lung surgery in late September confirmed the bronchoscopy result, with considerably more details as to type and stage of my disease.

What has served me well through all of this has been my apparent underlying good health – robustness. Blood tests indicated things were generally OK. The heart evaluation, especially, was encouraging. My doc observed that my ticker works like one that belongs to “an athlete.” (I never before had heard any reference connecting me and “athlete,” especially by any doctor.)

Doc attributed the health of my heart to … hiking!

I’ll buy that. And because hiking long has been my primary physical activity (outside of work) I also have to believe has contributed significantly to the general robustness of my health, which no doubt has helped see me through surgery and chemotherapy and about everything else dealing with this damned cancer (physically) has brought on. To go hiking again has been a goal since all this started – and that has helped me deal with things emotionally.

I’ve often referred to hiking as my “life sport.” It certainly is that – a physically active pastime that I’ve engaged in for at least 55 years. But now the term has meaning on a different level as well.

G.

Grumpy, I wish you all the best in your fight with cancer.

As for hiking benefits in regard to mental health, I can certainly attest to that.

My personality is very different if I don't keep a steady diet of hiking (with or without Alex).

A regular diet of hiking = a patient, serene wife and mother.

Too long of a gap between hikes = Joan Crawford and a very unhappy husband.

Grumpy, congrats on fighting and winning your battle with cancer and best wishes on your continuing to keep it at bay.

I really do believe that hiking and the general good health benefits from hiking provide the basis for a strong struggle and recovery from cancer and its related treatments. I know of atleast 2 other friends whose cancer battles have been successful and I think their hiking related good health was atleast in part to be thanked.

As far as the mental and emotional benefits, I can fully attest to these benefits as I feel the difference after every hike, no matter how short or how long.

sli74

The physical benefits of hiking are demonstrable. There are emotional benefits of hiking, of anything that makes you happy, and this is also connected to health. The spiritual benefits are there, too, and I've found they help put things in a healthy perspective.

May grumpy live long with many happy hikes!

Backpacking Saved My Life

Interesting article.

I was told that hiking and backpacking may well have saved my life (I think the VFTT thread on this from '04 is gone now). I was burned with serious lung injury and smoke inhalation and estimates of my chance of survival were 50-50% and below. They were surprised my lungs came through so well and my recovery was so thorough - doctors said it must have been the hiking and backpacking that had me in condition to survive the injuries and then aided my recovery. The thought of being back in the mountains certainly motivated me to work hard in rehab. I also had cancer in '01 - and am fortunate to have seen no sign since then (though I am waiting for the results of my twice yearly blood test) and the mountains were definitely a source of strength in coming back from that. I tell people that the mountains and trails are my gym, health spa, therapy couch, monastic retreat, church and motivational speaker all in one. They are also a fantastic place to celebrate being alive.

Grumpy: here's to your courage. May you continue to post and hike. There are lots of us living great lives after the cancer diagnosis. It'll be 8 years this May for me. My Mom went 46 years between first being diagnosed with cancer and having the same cancer show up again having metastasized but remaining hidden.

Last edited:
Grumpy:
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis, and an thrilled that the chemo has shrunk the tumor. My thoughts are with you
I too, agree with the benefits of hiking, both in the body and in the mind.
In fact, any physical activity that is enjoyable will add health benefits.
I am very glad you are in good physical shape, and will hope you stay that way.
I hike despite Rheumatoid Arthritis, and my Rheumatologist thinks my joints are in great shape for the length of time I have had it (since age 9). He thinks it is all the activity that is keeping my joints fluid and strong.
FIGHT ON!
Sandy

Grumpy...it has long been discussed that attitude and health play a big part of cancer therapy...hiking easily contributes positively to both. Rock on!

As for the health benefits of hiking...physical benefits, obvious. Come on...walking for 12 hours or more...much of it uphill? that's a no brainer. I've come to learn, however, the mental benefits of hiking. It is my therapy. Work/life can be WICKED busy and stressful...I look to my weekend hiking as my therapy. You can't think about other stuff (work or other stresses) when hiking (at least I can't). There is too much else out there to concentrate on: your next safe step, the trees/birds/snow/sky/weather/flora/fauna/rocks, keeping hydrated, keeping appropriately fed (one of my favorite parts :p), the VIEWS, the fresh air, others you meet on the trail, and on and on and on. It is truly an escape...even if only for a few hours. I always feel so refreshed and reinvigorated on the ride home. Plus...you sleep SO good after a nice, long hike!

Grumpy...thank you for sharing this with us and I wish you the very best from the bottom of my heart.
I really believe that grizzly determination is a huge factor when someone if dealing with a serious illness or trauma.
I can tell you Grumpy,after years of working with patients, that it's those who "keep their pedal to the metal" who often survive against all odds, or get out of their wheelchairs and walk again after being told that they will never take another step. I believe your hiking is an incredible source of strength to you, physically, mentally, and emotionally. Hiking gives us much more than beautiful views. It gives us , stamina, and teaches us that no matter what we encounter on the trail, we must keep our eyes on the goal. Quitters don't hike! This becomes our second nature and serves us well in times of stress and challenge.
"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when you are no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a means to and end, but a unique event in itself. This leaf has jagged edges. This rock looks loose. From this place the snow is less visible, though closer. These are things you should notice anyway. To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow.

But of course, without the top you can't have any sides. It's the top the defines the sides. So on we go...we have a long way...no hurry...just one step after the next..."
-Robert Perig

Grumpy, I wish you Godspeed and be well. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
I'm amazed at what progress we've made in our fight against cancer. I am personally acquianted with at least a dozen survivors. My BFF's wife has just completed a stem cell transfer for a rare form of cancer that 5 years ago would have killed her for sure. Best wishes for your recovery, Grumpy! Keep on walking.

Good article, by the way. Inspiring read.

bob

I really believe that grizzly determination is a huge factor when someone if dealing with a serious illness or trauma.

Absolutely!

Spring is in the air, Grumpy, see you on the trails. Thanks to you and others who have shared their stories in this post. As if we needed a study to tell us hiking was good for us.

Grumpy:
My uncle was diagnosed with lung cancer at a fairly advanced stage and not given very good odds (nor much time). Quite a bit of chemo later, there was a question of whether he'd be able to make the annual big hunting trip...his doctor said "Make sure you go, we'll work the treatment around it, just take it easy." He went and had a fantastic time.

This was about eight, nine years ago. He's been back to essentially full health for most of those years, making the annual trips, and there's no reason to expect that his lungs are more likely to be the end of him than anything else.

There's a lot of reason for hope. Getting out into the woods can be a big part of that. Wishing you the best of luck, patience, and determination in working through this.

Grump,

Thanks for sharing and keep up that fighting spirit. I hope you are able to get back on the trails and reach all of your goals. HIKE ON!

"Runner's high", release of endorphins, exercising the mind as well as the body...etc. All of these add up to the benefits of exercise and phyiscal activity. With hiking you can also add in the serenity and solitude of it. Putting all of that together and you've got a good medicinal recipe.

I know when I'm hiking (usually solo), I feel as far away from the real world as possible. That in itself is enough to relax the mind while working the body. I do a variety of exercises and workouts but none have as much of a total mind and body experience as hiking does.

First off Grumpy hang in there and Fight. Secondly hiking definetly keeps your body healthy. I have no life besides hiking and climbing, some years I dont miss one week. Im in my 40's and Ive only been to the hospital once in my life, Im on a 10 year run of not seeing a doctor and never felt better in my life. I can climb like heck at 14,000ft and while Im no speed demon I can hump a load for 12 hours no problem. My humble opinion is I do not trust the medical establishment at all, I think its a whole system created to keep you coming back, many people have died in hospitals that shouldnt have. That being said there are times when people should see a doctor, but Id be darn carefull what they do to you while your there.;)

I would bet that the list of health benefits from hiking is a pretty long one and hope you get them all Grumpy.

I often think about those benefits being in the health field myself. I think there is a point where a hike may be detrimental to one's health. Getting up at 3am, driving for hours, hiking 12-15 hours, getting whacked in the face by branches, getting back in the car, driving for hours with a caffeine buzz then sucking back a few beers before going to bed doesn't seem like a recipe for health. In fact I usually feel like a piece of crap the next day and in extreme cases require 3 days of rest before I crank up the training regimen for the next hike.

OTOH, the training and healthy eating and living that allow me to do stuff like that and survive is most assuredly beneficial to my health. Been a while since I checked but I'm confident my resting heart rate is pretty low.

Grumpy what a story. I hope your recovery from Cancer is a successful one. With your attitude it will be. :)

I also have a story to tell. It's a long one, so I certainly won't tell it all, just the basics. In May 2002 I was in an automobile accident in which severely damaged my spine, a result of whiplash. I have had two spinal fusions in my neck, one in March 2003 and another in January 2009. The injuries could had been a paralyzing one but my Doctor told me in 2002, the fact, I was a hiker and my muscles were very strong, the underlying muscles were protected, which would of instantly paralyzed me, if they had been damaged.

Grumpy - Do you know about the Stowe Weekend of Hope? The event is free and there is free lodging at local Inns and hotels for first time participants. It's for cancer survivors and those struggling with cancer. I went with my wife one year. I signed up after I found a tumor in my arm and was worried that my cancer had metastasized (it turned out to be an unrelated benign tumor) and felt the need for some support and fellowship with people in the battle. It was a nice weekend. Access to the better trails in the area is closed off due to mud season. I assume is part of the reason why the free lodging can be arranged.

http://www.stowehope.org/

Last edited:
Grumpy, best of luck on your recovery. Will definitely be praying for you.

On a similar theme to this thread, Mike Singletary, new coach of the NFL's San Francisco 49ers, just completed building "Hamstring Hill", which he believes will better condition his football team. The players will run up and down the hill, sometimes pulling weight behind them.

Apparently, Singletary and other NFL greats have done this in the past with great success. Hmm, I wonder if Singletary is a hiker...

Here is the article:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/22/SPUI16KU04.DTL&type=49ers

Marty

Last edited:
I guess the testimonies we are seeing here are the best scientific facts about hiking and health. I know I have told part of my story before, but just let me say that I didn't stop hiking through six weeks of radiation, and I was attached to a 24 hour chemo pump for those six weeks also. All of the medical staff that worked with me and patients that were recieving treatment at the same time were encouraged by my positive attitude.

So physical condition and positive attitude have EVERYTHING. to do with recovery.I thank those things and God for getting me through those treatments and the surgeries I had last year as we completed the NEHH.

So , Grumpy, I would say your outlook is very good.