Mount St.Helens, WA – July 19th, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmus

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks, I was in vacation out west with JS (Motabobo), here's my first TR. Enjoy...

It was foggy in the morning, and the first thing we learned was that the summer TH was close due to snow. That meant two more miles to hike, and 6000 feet to climb instead of the regular 4000.

No problem dude, we’re in vacation, so it’s all good.

As soon as we got above treeline, the sky cleared up and the volcano appeared in front of us. Hood and Adams popped out of the clouds, it was just like heaven. There was smoke around Adams, later we learned that many forest fires were going on there.

A very ''ashy'' trail led us to snow, followed by scree, and then more steeper snow patches, and finally the crater rim. It was absolutely awesome to walk around the lava dome, knowing that few years ago (2004), St. Helens was active. Smoke is still coming out by the way; we could see three or four chimneys inside the crater.

The views of Rainier were jaw dropping, we couldn’t ask for better weather conditions. I didn’t even put a jacket on… JS decided to go for the true summit, a .25 walk along the rim. Some hikers said it was too technical, so I didn’t go, but I regret because JS said it was a piece of cake. We have pictures though.

We hiked down, drove back to Cougar and enjoyed showers and burgers. Next trailhead : Timberline Lodge, OR.

PICTURES

Pretty awesome! Looks like a different world up there especially with Rainier looming in the background.

-Dr. Wu

Wow, spectacular! I wanted to hike up Mt. St. Helens when I was out there, but I didn't have any time. I had to settle with hanging out on the viewpoint off the road and looking at it. I thought that was gorgeous.. looks like I need to go back. :)

jealous. we were socked in rain and clouds there after Rainier and so only did the Tourist Center on the north side and lava tube on the Cougar side. Where did you stay in Cougar ? Lone Fir ? I can't believe the trailhead road was still closed.

leaf said:
Wow, spectacular! I wanted to hike up Mt. St. Helens when I was out there, but I didn't have any time. I had to settle with hanging out on the viewpoint off the road and looking at it. I thought that was gorgeous.. looks like I need to go back. :)
Funny thing...I badly wanted to have a look from a bottom viewpoint inside the crater. Beeing on top is one thing but I often find it more beautiful from the distance, at the bottom. Let's say somebody outwrestled me out of the idea...:rolleyes:

nice ditto - when I was in area, it was shite weather and we ended up in the ape caves. They still doing that permit process there?

Was lucky enough to see helens smoking from high camp on rainier back in 2005. that was pretty cool.

great pictures, wish we could of climbed MSH after Giggy and crew did Rainier but no permits were issued then. I do remember all the sand in my trail runners though!

Jay

Motabobo said:
Funny thing...I badly wanted to have a look from a bottom viewpoint inside the crater. Beeing on top is one thing but I often find it more beautiful from the distance, at the bottom. Let's say somebody outwrestled me out of the idea...:rolleyes:

Ha! And good thing. ;)

It was very beautiful from a distance.
250983022_qZ5AA-M.jpg

Excellent pics and report! I climbed MSH the first summer they let people back up there, '86 or '87. Your pics show a bit more green since then, and Spirit Lake looks like a lake again!I remember a helicopter with scientists doing some tests down inside while it was still smoking, and a small plane actually flew in and back out right in front of me. It was definately a new summit experience for me! Glad you were lucky, like I was to get a beautiful day up there!

Very nice photos, thank you for posting them.

When was there in 1989 the lower regions had considerably more ash than is visible in the photos, but vegetation was returning.

There was zero visibility down into the crater (i.e., typical New England conditions) but it was still a good day.

Dave

[QUOTE=Motabobo]Funny thing...I badly wanted to have a look from a bottom viewpoint inside the crater. Beeing on top is one thing but I often find it more beautiful from the distance, at the bottom. Let's say somebody outwrestled me out of the idea...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Congrats for that great trip. And don't worry the mtn is still there soo
next time you could go in the bottom. :)