My boots smell aweful...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
After more than a few wet trudges this spring, my boots have an odor that you would not believe, and I cannot stand.

I would love to get some ideas on the way to get some of the smell out of a pair of leather/gortex boots. Ways to clean, odor neutralizers (natural or proprietary), nuclear bomb...I'll try anything...

Thanks in advance!

~w7x

w7xman said:
After more than a few wet trudges this spring, my boots have an odor that you would not believe, and I cannot stand.

I would love to get some ideas on the way to get some of the smell out of a pair of leather/gortex boots. Ways to clean, odor neutralizers
Wash the liners (probably the worst part) and spray the boots with Lysol. Odors are caused by bacteria, so KILL THEM!! BWAHAHAHAHA!

Has anybody tried Fabreze on them?

Once you get your boots wet, they will stink, and even if you don't but getting them wet seems to ummm..enhance the odor?

Try this, take wet and used boots, put them in your car, roll the windows up, let the car bake in 90+ degree heat for a few days, then open the door and see how much the car stinks... ;)

Jay

Jay H said:
Try this, take wet and used boots, put them in your car, roll the windows up, let the car bake in 90+ degree heat for a few days, then open the door and see how much the car stinks... ;)

Jay

I believe that this was the root of my problem...

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf_id=21340203&dept_id=464&brand_id=628&Page=

When Kodi, (Akita) gets into a fine mess in the yard or gets herself skunked, I use "DE_SKUNK,Removes Skunk Odor Like Nothing Else on Earth". It really works on very foul odors so why not on hiking boots/shoes. It's probably worth a try.
Of all the ones I have experimented with, it's the only one I really like.
One of your local pet stores probably carries this. I bought mine at Dave's in Hadley.

I just found a web site called Happy Feet. There was a blog about stinky boots and commercial as well as non-commercial means for taking care of shoe odor. From the web site: 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 4 tablespoons baking soda, 20 drops Tea Tree oil, 10 drops lemon oil, and 10 drops lavender oil. To use: Sprinkle the deodorizer lightly into shoes in the evenings or at times when the shoes will not be worn for a few hours. You will not see a "cure" for smelly shoes the first time you use the deodorizer. The magic occurs after regular uses.

Here's the link:
http://vonhof.typepad.com/happy_feet/2007/02/index.html

Tea tree oil does not smell too good either. Try a running shoe store or running gear website. I've seen these deordorizing "balls" that you can put in shoes to help with odor.

eruggles said:
4 tablespoons cornstarch, 4 tablespoons baking soda, 20 drops Tea Tree oil, 10 drops lemon oil, and 10 drops lavender oil. To use: Sprinkle the deodorizer lightly into shoes in the evenings or at times when the shoes will not be worn for a few hours. You will not see a "cure" for smelly shoes the first time you use the deodorizer. The magic occurs after regular uses.

I have used a similar formula for my Uggs (minus the oils...'cause thats a few too many staples for me.) It worked wonders. After the second dousing, they actually were odor-free. Brilliant!

Sun. The natural boot (and boob) de-smeller. A few days in the sun gets the smell out.

One thing that I find that really gets the smell started, is walking when they are wet. A long day's hike in the rain... stepping into a brook....pissing crooked, etc. anything that gets them wet inside, then walking a lot with them.

Sun kills all that smell.

Oh... someday, if you run into me, ask me to tell you the story of my hiking boots, and the airport security guard who made me take them off.

Make a solution of bleach in a bucket and soak your boots in it over night. The problem is coming from the bacteria n fungus growing in the foam insulation of the boot. It is detereorating, eatting, the foam thus the foul odor, a by product gas.

Also get yuorself a pair of gators or those plastic shoes everyone is wearing to cross streams so you won't ruin anymore boots.

paul ron said:
Make a solution of bleach in a bucket and soak your boots in it over night.

Is that the voice of experience? How does the leather hold up a year later?

Just wonderin', 'cause I thought maybe the next step would be lining them up against a gypsum bucket and shooting them up with a Winchester pump.

All in good fun....

I was concerned about that too ..M. It will kill the bacteria, but.......

I'm with Pete. The sun works for me. I always leave my boots outside (if the forecast is good) for a couple of days after a hike. Closets are nice and dark and great for breeding bacteria etc. Just like packing up a tent damp.

Fill them with coffee beans. Let them sit overnight. Afterwards, there must be someone at work you would like to give the beans to.