Old Man 5-year anniversary on May 3, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. As an "insider," I was chagrined that geologists, including those who studied the Old Man and predicted his demise, have been ostracized and left out of this event. I will be boycotting the event in protest. :D

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Thanks for posting. As an "insider," I was chagrined that geologists, including those who studied the Old Man and predicted his demise, have been ostracized and left out of this event. I will be boycotting the event in protest. :D
Can you post a interesting link or two on this matter, I wouldn't mind reading them.

Paradox said:
Can you post a interesting link or two on this matter, I wouldn't mind reading them.

I am not sure where to find a link, but will ask/look around. Most of the engineering geology work was done in the 1970s in prep for the construction of the I-93 parkway (the only section of the U.S. Interstate highway system not fully four lanes, a compromise that resulted from the engineering studies). The studies also concluded that the only way to safeguard the Old Man was to install large long steel rods like those you see along some highway rock cuts; a safe drilling method had been developed at Dartmouth using gas torches, the same that have been used to carve Crazy Horse Monument in South Dakota the past three decades. Of course, the state was not willing to fund such an engineering project, although in retrospect, the cost would have been a bargain compared to the lost tourist revenue the past three years (the first two years were not so bad, I have heard). Most geologists agreed that the turnbuckles that held small blocks in place on top and the annual fiberglassing of cracks were a waste of effort. However, the turnbuckles were nice anchors for belaying the final pitch of the Wiessner/Lakeview route!

I agree, time to remember, RIP Old Man. I still haven't looked up from any viewing angle since it happened. I just keep driving through the Notch with my eyes on the road, which is a good idea anyway.

I saw it when I was young but it collapsed before I started taking my family there. As the image is still everywhere I always try to point out to my family exactly where it was (not hard to see/imagine). I and they will never have the same attachment that many do, but hopefully they've developed an appreciation.

No State For Old Men

OldManOfTheValley.jpg

Old Man Of The Valley Pays His Respects On This Special Day

It is a shame his facelift didn't hold. We'll miss you, Old Man. I saw it a few times but as Fisher Cat said, I don't even look up there any more... other than to see weather conditions in the higher ups. I do hope there's no confetti up there, I plan to hike Cannon (via Hi-Cannon), as well as the Kinsmans, tomorrow.

Ah, yes, I read about that in the 4000-footers of New Hampshire book. Apparently on every one of the 48s every year a group organizes the hoisting of flags (info). It's a nice gesture of remembrance.
This might have been the same group that flew the flag at the summit, not sure. Actually, that would have been me on Cannon one year! :D

These are not my pictures, but they show the Flag at the old man site.

Ah, yes, I read about that in the 4000-footers of New Hampshire book. Apparently on every one of the 48s every year a group organizes the hoisting of flags (info). It's a nice gesture of remembrance.

You will find that pretty soon, discussions on Flags on the 48 2012 will start appearing here, and on their site. Sign-ups are in July, and many of the groups are members of this board, including the event organizers. It is a very cool event and one which is well worth attending, if at all possible.

Tim

I can remember the first and the last times that I saw the Old Man.

The first: I was 5 or 6 years old and my Dad took me on a motorcycle trip to NH. He strapped a pillow to the gas tank so I could sleep and had a belt attached to both of us so I wouldn’t fall off. In the late 70’s, this was acceptable… today, it would probably get you arrested. I remember stopping at a viewpoint to see the Old Man. My dad pointed him out, but at that age, I honestly thought I was looking for an old man on top of the mountain. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I actually saw the old man figure that my dad frustratingly tried to show me.

The last: It was the winter of 2003 and I had spent the weekend in Waterville Valley. It was below zero and I didn’t feel like skiing so I went for a drive to Franconia Notch. I stopped to view and take pictures of the Old Man…not realizing it would be the last time I would see him.

RIP Old Man – you will always have a special place in my heart.

You will find that pretty soon, discussions on Flags on the 48 2012 will start appearing here, and on their site. Sign-ups are in July, and many of the groups are members of this board, including the event organizers. It is a very cool event and one which is well worth attending, if at all possible.

Tim

Good to know. Thanks Tim. The 11th is on a Tuesday this year so that may exclude me from the actual day, but I'll be there in spirit anyway. I'll keep my eyes open for updates on the subject as September approaches.