Pack on airplane?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
I'm planning to travel with a Gregory Forester as checked baggage on an imminent flight. I'm concerned about the protruding hip belt (and, to a lesser extent, the shoulder straps). Do these pose a problem for the baggage machines and/or human handlers? I've been thinking of tightly wrapping them with duct tape to keep them as close to the pack as possible. The belt and straps do not appear to be removable.

Any advice from more experienced airline travelers?

I've got the same question

Same question from me, but with a Kelty external frame. Is it best to just empty the pack, shove it in a duffle, and fill the rest of the duffle with gear/clothes?

We put our gear in a large duffel bag, and have had no problems on planes doing that. We also put styrofoam over the tips of our hiking poles.

On a trip to the Yukon we cinched everything down with duct tape, but the airline took it upon themselves to wrap our packs (external at the time) in some sort of thick cellophane. Worked fine.

Dick

1)I bought a duffle bag to do just that for checked baggage.

2)If you ask a friendly check in assistant, he/she may let you have a big plastic bag. Some airlines give them out readily and freely.

3)A Pac-Safe can be used which is a anti-theft thing but is also handy for keeping belts and things in.

4)Obviously, clip the hip and sternum strap together before packing

Jay

rhihn said:
We put our gear in a large duffel bag, and have had no problems on planes doing that. We also put styrofoam over the tips of our hiking poles.

I do that now too with no problems although even before I bought that duffel, I've never had a problem carrying on my 2800ci pack.

I was just forced to check a Jansport daypack (I had 2 pounds too much in my big suitcase.) It survived two flights with no issue, but this is a simple daypack - no hip belt...Jay's method is the way to go - have had success with the duffel bag - it is not worth getting there and finding your pack destroyed.

EMS sells a lightweight bag made specifically to carry a couple backpacking backpacks for $40. They actually fit about three or four empty backpacks if necessary.

I just used one to bring all my stuff to Europe a couple weeks ago. Worked very well for me.

travel tote

check out my thread from awhile ago:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12943&highlight=duffel

I had the question about travel duffels so it has a bunch of good information already in line for you.

What I can suggest too is that some duffel bags aren't that strong, the more inexpensive nylon duffels have a tendency to explode if you say jam a trekking pole point into them (read Dick's suggestion about the styrofoam) and some duffel zippers are not that good. I broke an OP duffel zipper on my first usage once.

I bought a canvas Army duffel (top loading) that has a side zipper for ease of access, is made of a pretty strong water repellant canvas and has shoulder straps on it that can be cinched down a bit. I've fit my packed gregory Forester in it which is a moderate sized backpack and found it very handy especially when solo. I'd put the Army sack on my back and then handcarry whatever carry-on items I had, which was another daypack and my plastic boots (I was headed west to the Cascades).

Jay

First couple of times, i went out west, I packed the pack and then tossed it in a duffle struggling to zip the duffle, but it worked - this last time, I smartened up a bit and packed it empty and then just stuffed everything in the duffle. Much better result. :)

I have seen on many occasions - the pack just sent in with all straps secured - but I like the inside the duffle method myself.

try and have your bags weighed before getting to airport - most airlines want 50 or less in each bag. if you got 60 in one and 30 in the other, its a pain in the ass dealing with that at check in.

another hint - its seems delayed baggage is a fact of life these days, make sure you have whatever you really need in your carry-on, like cell phone and charger, etc...... I leanred the hardway on that....

I would definitely recommend getting a duffle for it.... we use a couple of duffles I bought on sale at Beans which are huge and work great. Like Giggy said, we leave the packs empty and stuff it and everything else into the duffle.

I used to fly without using a duffle, making sure to secure all the straps and stuff, but on one trip, one of the clips on my lid arrived broken in half (I'm assuming due to the rough handling.) I was able to improvise by cutting the clip off and tying my lid to my pack. At that time, I was just happy it wasn't the clip on my hip belt because that would have been a problem I couldn't have solved.

When I used to fly sans duffle, I found the airline gave us a giant plastic bag for our packs about 50 percent of the time. The time the clip broke, we didn't get one.

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
I would definitely recommend getting a duffle for it.... we use a couple of duffles I bought on sale at Beans which are huge and work great. Like Giggy said, we leave the packs empty and stuff it and everything else into the duffle.

I used to fly without using a duffle, making sure to secure all the straps and stuff, but on one trip, one of the clips on my lid arrived broken in half (I'm assuming due to the rough handling.) I was able to improvise by cutting the clip off and tying my lid to my pack. At that time, I was just happy it wasn't the clip on my hip belt because that would have been a problem I couldn't have solved.

When I used to fly sans duffle, I found the airline gave us a giant plastic bag for our packs about 50 percent of the time. The time the clip broke, we didn't get one.

- Ivy

Another duffler here. I had a pack torn sending it through unprotected many years ago. I've had it in the platic airline issued bag without incident and I've boxed my stuff which worked but was difficult to carry. I've been a happy traveler since using a duffle.

Great - this is all good to hear. I have a big duffle, now I just have to check if it fits my pack and/or both packs.

Thanks everyone!
(even though I didn't ask the original question :D )

Don't know if it is still made but Wild Things in North Conway use to make the Mule Bag duffle specifically for this purpose. Also Ragged Mountain in Intervale has made what they call the Mega duffle.

...and to make it even easier,

http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/t...uery.ctx=duffel&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam

that is the one that I bought. Fits a packed Gregory Forrester just barely!! but it is great. it's tougher than most side zip duffels and the material is better. I've ripped a bunch of nylon duffel bags before and zippers fail.

My father has one top loader that has a metal cusp and lock that has his name imprinted on it, he got it when he came over to Canada from China that he gave to me, that is really good as that doesn't even have a zipper to fail. Try to go with Cordura duffels and not bare nylon. Nylon has a tendency to fail and when they fail, it's not pretty!

Jay

I too use a duffle, or a hockey bag. Seems to do the trick well.

But I don't unpack everything - not a fan of that. I can wear my pack around, which is easier than carrying any duffle, and then right before check in I can chuck it in the duffle.

As others have suggested, I put my empty pack in a large duffle bag and use clothing to pad any sharp points or hard objects (eg hiking poles and ice axe). When you get to your destination, you can put everything (including the duffle) in the pack for easy carrying. If you wish to check some of your gear while you are on the mountain, you can put it in the duffle.

Its worked for me so far...

Doug

Internals:

either: wrap the hip belt around the back of the pack and buckle it. Pull the shoulder straps tight and then tie the loose straps together in the center.

Or: empty it completely and load it and all the gear in a duffel.

Duct tape is too difficult to get off and the glue gets everything sticky.

I have dumped the pack in a contractors garbage bag and tie it off with rope and then "package tie" the pack with cord to give it a handle.

I tend to carry on my external frame packs - empty. Never had a problem even though they are long because they are obviously flat and empty.

Duffel bags are the way to go, and as giggy pointed out, put the pack in loose, and then add your stuff. Pre 9/11, I've seen packs wrapped in SaranWrap and that worked well also, but haven't seen it used much lately.

And, as has noted already, delayed luggage is a fact of life, so carry stuff you really need for the first day or two with you, and adjust your hiking/climbing plans accordingly. If time is critical, consider shipping your gear ahead of time.

We use hockey gear bags, which are more than large enough to hold our Gregory Pallisades. Sometimes you can pick these up at yard sales or flea markets for very little money. When arriving at our starting point for a linear hike, we simply stuff the empty hockey bags into a large mailing envelope and mail them ahead (with a clean change of clothes!) to a Post Office at our final destination.

All the clips and straps have a way of getting torn off no matter how meticulously you secure them. Duffles are the way to go, but, as has been suggested, I carry on at least a day's worth of stuff in case luggage gets lost/delayed. Standing around in the same clothes for several days without your toothbrush kind of stinks.