Parapet Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the Parapet trail recently? If so any beta on the conditions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Has anyone been on the Parapet trail recently? If so any beta on the conditions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
I was on it in 2004. It's slow and stupid with boulders -- better off going over Madison.

-Dr. Wu

As of late July, it had no blow-downs or run-off problems, but as dr wu points out, there are lots of up-and-downs around and over boulders.

We had done a loop over Madison from Osgood, and I did like enjoy taking a different route back around but I don't think it saves you any effort vs. going back over the summit. It's less exposed, but not by much.

There are a grand total of two valid reasons for doing the Parapet Trail:
  • Coming up Osgood in bad weather, it allows you to bypass the summit.
  • Redlinig, in which case you do not need to know the conditions, as you are going masochistically to do it anyway :eek:.
I had been thinking of redlining the Washburn map, but after doing the upper part of the Pine Link Trail (from all I hear, very similar to the Parapet Trail) I recovered my sanity :D

I've only done part of the Parapet, and that was the part from the top of Madison Gulf Trail, then around Madison to the hut as part of an attempted hut traverse. I didn't think that part was that bad. That was back in 2006 though. No new info, sorry.

What's the phrase I've heard applied to Fishing (F**in') Jimmy? "PUD's/Pointless UpDowns"?

It's like that with boulders and better views.

What's the phrase I've heard applied to Fishing (F**in') Jimmy? "PUD's/Pointless UpDowns"?

It's like that with boulders and better views.
It's not a bad trail by any means.... kinda fun I guess if you like boulders. But it won't do anything for you.... if it saves you elevation it also drains you of time and energy. It's a cool trail though -- that whole area is pretty cool.

-Dr. Wu

We enjoyed the Parapet trail. You won't be going fast but it's still a cool trail.

We were really gluttons for punishment as we went up the Parapet from the Daniel Webster trail, up Adams via Star Lake trail, down to the hut, across Star Lake and down the Buttress trail to the Great Gulf. If you think the Parapet trail is rough, try the Buttress trail. June still remembers it fondly to this day!:eek::D

We were really gluttons for punishment as we went ... up Adams via Star Lake trail ...
For my money, the Star Lake Trail is the nicest summit trail in the northern Presis ... good solid slabs rather than boulder hopping. It's steep, but the footing is excellent. Much easier than the WMG description would suggest.

Mohamed said:
the Star Lake Trail is the nicest summit trail in the northern Presis

We agree with you Mo about the Star Lake trail. It's the Buttress trail that can test one's will.

Yes, that was the fateful day! I'm not sure what powers were at work that day....but I am sure the Parapet trail bore some influence!:D

*groan*

But do note that I was already sick on the DWS trail, before we got to the Parapet.

Well, off on the side of the DWS trail, but that's another story...

bleah, I agree with Dr. Wu. I took that trail when I hiked Mt Madison in 2005 just to explore... one of my least favorite trails that I've ever hiked in the Whites. It's lots and lots of rocks and it's not marked too well.

edit:
I had been thinking of redlining the Washburn map, but after doing the upper part of the Pine Link Trail (from all I hear, very similar to the Parapet Trail) I recovered my sanity :D
I'd hike the Pine Link Trail any day before the Parapet Trail.

We agree with you Mo about the Star Lake trail. It's the Buttress trail that can test one's will.

...and I beleive the WMG says that the Buttress is one of the more "moderate" trails in the area...I am losing faith in some of that book - I think the Webster Cliff Trail desc is very inaccurate...

Parapet is easier from MG to the hut (Only part I have done) - the other section is tougher...as it is all rocks I doubt much could happen to it condition wise

I think it's important to tailor the advice to the person asking the question. The Parapet trail is a spirit draining, ankle twisting, mind numbing stretch of misbegotten rocks designed by a demented trail builder recently escaped from an institute for the criminally insane.

In other words, you'll love it.

The views are awesome, of course, and if you are not in a hurry or tired, and it's a beautiful day, and your companions are in a good mood, and there's no ice, then it may be tolerable. Otherwise, ugh!

Thank you all for the information. Most appreciated, and very helpful, considering that I'm unfamiliar with the trails on that side of Madison. It sounds like I should just plan on going over the summit, since it is possible that I will be in a hurry... ;)

Although interesting with views,definitely not a time saver as part of a much longer route.Do it on a short day,but to make time go over Madison.