Proposal: VFTT Film Festival

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Carmel and I have discussed the Banff Film Festival many times over the past several years. We feel that "back in the day" the films were real indy efforts and often produced by a few friends that were having fun the backcountry. Today, a lot of the films are funded by six figure grant money and are much more commercial. As the commercial feel / professional level of the films has increased, our interest in the festival has gone down.

I've been kicking this idea around for a while and this weekend, Carmel, Chomp, and I discussed it. Our Dr. McGillicuddy fueled brain storming session resulted in the following proposal:

The First Annual VFTT Film Festival

Short / Feature films can be submitted in the following categories:

General Mountains - hiking, backpaking, MTB, mountain culture etc.

Climbing - rock, ice, mixed, bouldering, indoor

Snow Sports - skiing (tele, alipine, xc, you name it), snow boarding, etc

Water Sports - canoeing, kayaking, surfing, fishing, etc.

Miscellaneous - wildlife, outdoor oriented comedy, etc

Each category will be broken into Shorts less than 5 minutes, and Features between 5 and 30 minutes.

Judging: the idea is that all submissions will be judged by a panel and 1st and 2nd place selections will be made. It is TBD if the panel of judges will be from VFTT or outside.

Prizes: If this generates enough interest, the possibility exists to get prizes provided by sponsors - maybe EMS, REI, rock gyms, etc would be interested in providing prizes in exchange for sponsorship of the festival.

Entries:
  • You do not have to be a member of VFTT to submit a film.
  • There will be no fee to submit a film.
  • You can enter one film into each category.
  • Films can be sumbitted in a pc format or a playable DVD format
  • Films can be motion picture films or picture slide shows set to an audio track
  • Films will be submitted on cd / dvd via snail mail - no 20 MB emails please

Right now we are thinking that films will be collected until September 2009. After judging, winners will be annouced in late September. There will then be a showing of the winners and other judge's picks in early October. The location of the showing will be determined by the amount of people interesting. For example, if there are only 40 or so people interested, then the showing could be in the loft of my garage. If it turns out that there are a hundred people interested in seeing the showing then we will have to look at charging admission and renting a hall or auditorium. An alternative would be to make a large screen and have the showing in a field / camping area - however it would then become weather dependant and the sound would most likely not be good.

We are certainly not looking to compete with the Banff Film Festival or anything remotely close to that scale. We do however recognize that there is a ton of talent on this website and in the Northeast outdoor community as a whole. I am stoked to see what a grassroots effort like this can produce. It will be very cool to see what "a bunch of hikers" can create using all the new technology that is available to us.

This could easily go either way; it could sprout and die, or it could take off bigger than expected. If the idea does catch on and grow, we will certainly need help to pull it off so volunteers will be welcome.

This thread can be used for thoughts / comments / discussions. I will also be posting a poll to see how many people think they will submit a film and also how many would be interested in attended the showing.

Aloha,

- darren

Last edited:
I think it's an awesome idea that hopefully takes off.
See where it goes, but if it comes off maybe some sort of compilation DVD with the movies on it could then be made and sold for charity.

I think it is great idea. An "off season" effort might eventually be more popular. I'd also elevate the flora and the fauna to categories of their own since these represent what a growing number of people appreciate and which often takes some special luck in capturing.

As for me, if I ever master the technology and equipment, I'd love to present such video snippets as "the invisible moose", the "friendly freight car of a buffalo" and "the south end of a north bound elk", an insignificant and trivial memo to those who don't intend to attend G10.

I wouldn't have anything to submitt but I would definately want to attend the showing if it is within my traveling area in NY.

Great idea! I'd come and I'm sending a link to a couple people who I think should submit something.

BTW: Anyway to correct the spelling in the thread title?

Oh man...this might be enough to convince me to upgrade to a new camcorder and editing equipment!

I would be very interested in scoring/doing the music for an outdoor film..... please contact me by pm or e-mail if you're interested in collaborating. :)

just curious what the status is on this. was there enough interest?

so i know whether or not to pursue my film idea.

just curious what the status is on this. was there enough interest?

so i know whether or not to pursue my film idea.

Pursue away!

So far we have about 20 people intersted in submitting about 30 films and we have about 50 people interested in coming to the showing. So I am guessing we could get anywhere from 15 - 50 films and anywhere from 20 - 100 people showing up to watch them. How is that for being specific? :rolleyes:

I am looking for volunteers to help coordinate the event and I will post some more info soon.

Aloha

- darren

Hopefully you can get enough audience members to hold the film festival in Hawaii. ;)

Seriously, would any of these films be for sale at a later date?

Unfortunately, I think a venue Hawaii is out. Probably going to have to be in central New England location. Hopefully we can find someone with a big barn or similar structure.

Sale / availability of the films will be up to the creators. I'm sure some shorts will be available on youtube and some people will burn dvd's etc. If someone does a feature length film I'm sure they might want to offer it for sale on dvd.

I do not have any intention of compiling the movies onto a single dvd and selling them though. If the creators allow it and someone volunteers to do it, maybe some of the movies could be put on one dvd and given away for the cost of the blank dvd. I'm not looking at it like a money making venture at all though. Just something cool for us to do.

Aloha

- darren