Resolution Shelter Question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone been to or know the status of the Resolution shelter on the Davis Path? I have heard that it is going to eventually be removed .Is it still standing and if so is it in decent conditon?
Thanks
WSC

I'd camp nearly, the shelter itself is fairly dubious. There are also designated campsites nearby, including one near the top of the Giant Stairs.

Reactions: WSC
The shelter is in so-so shape. There's a big gaping hole in the foundation toward the back of the shelter. Where you see green in the left rear of the shelter is where the foundation is falling apart. Check it out. This was from August 2006.

file.jpg

file.jpg

file.jpg

Reactions: WSC
Thanks for all the pictures and suggestions. I will bring a tent!
WSC

J&J said:
The shelter is in so-so shape. There's a big gaping hole in the foundation toward the back of the shelter. Where you see green in the left rear of the shelter is where the foundation is falling apart. Check it out. This was from August 2006.

Thanks for the pictures and the fond memories. This was my first solo hike in the Whites. Over 15 years ago. Haven't been back there in a while.

Anyone know if the box that they used for poop is still there? As I remember it was just a box with a hole in it and if I remember the hole was filled to at least ground level and that was many years ago. I remember the box wasn't particularly sturdy either. :eek:

If I remember correctly this shelter is scheduled for removal when it needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

Personally, I think the tent sites on Giant are much nicer. ;)

Keith

Last edited:
SAR-EMT40 said:
Anyone know if the box that they used for poop is still there? As I remember it was just a box with a hole in it and if I remember the hole was filled to at least ground level and that was many years ago. I remember the box wasn't particularly sturdy either. :eek:

Funny thing, that little box! My first hike with my buddies was up Davis Path back in 1971 and we stayed at Resolution that night. The only other person was a young lady who was out doing a solo thing and we had a very pleasant evening just chatting. The next morning after breakfast (and this is critical to the story) of oatmeal and coffee, it soon became necessary to go visit the little wooden box. We called it the "Out" because there was no house around it and with my guide book in hand I went off for some privacy.

Not two minutes later, my new friend from the shelter strolled along and decided that that was a good time for a chat and sat down to discuss the news of the day. Talk about being nailed to the spot! Mind you I was all of 14 years old! The first thing she asked me was "Whatcha' doin'?" I thought the answer was pretty obvious! :eek:

After a while my buddies came looking for me and when they showed up they joined right in (can't you just feel the love?) After a fashion she got tired of the chit-chat and headed back to the shelter and I was able to escape. That was 36 years ago and it is etched upon my mind forever.

The last time I saw one of those guys was at a high school reunion and he asked me if I rememberd the "Out" Thanks alot, Bud

Anyway It was pretty rickety back then too.
Bob

REK said:
That was 36 years ago and it is etched upon my mind forever.

Well it's not everyday you have face to face conversations on the $h*tt&r!!! Talk about awkward! :p ;) :D

TDawg said:
Well it's not everyday you have face to face conversations on the $h*tt&r!!! Talk about awkward! :p ;) :D

<offtopic>
Then you've never stayed at any of the shelters in Great Smoky Mountains NP. No privies, just "toilet areas."
</offtopic>

Stopped at Res Shelter for a break a couple years back, and both Danielle and I were very glad we weren't staying. And, as DougPaul said, not the best place for a tent, but it could be done.

At the DOC's Great Bear cabin (south side of Moosilauke) the Loydd Iverson Outhouse has two seats, facing each other, with a fold down chess board in between.

REK said:
Funny thing, that little box! My first hike with my buddies was up Davis Path back in 1971 and we stayed at Resolution that night. The only other person was a young lady who was out doing a solo thing and we had a very pleasant evening just chatting. The next morning after breakfast (and this is critical to the story) of oatmeal and coffee, it soon became necessary to go visit the little wooden box. We called it the "Out" because there was no house around it and with my guide book in hand I went off for some privacy.

Not two minutes later, my new friend from the shelter strolled along and decided that that was a good time for a chat and sat down to discuss the news of the day. Talk about being nailed to the spot! Mind you I was all of 14 years old! The first thing she asked me was "Whatcha' doin'?" I thought the answer was pretty obvious! :eek:

After a while my buddies came looking for me and when they showed up they joined right in (can't you just feel the love?) After a fashion she got tired of the chit-chat and headed back to the shelter and I was able to escape. That was 36 years ago and it is etched upon my mind forever.

The last time I saw one of those guys was at a high school reunion and he asked me if I rememberd the "Out" Thanks alot, Bud

Anyway It was pretty rickety back then too.
Bob

I got a good laugh out of this story... did you ever think that your "buddies" could have put her up to it as a practical joke on you? Man, that would have been funny!

SAR-EMT40 said:
Funny stuff Dave. :D
We also built a real two level outhouse, but that's another story.

Sorry.

Actually, we did build a two story outhouse at Armington cabin.

-dave-

WSC said:
Hello,
Has anyone been to or know the status of the Resolution shelter on the Davis Path? I have heard that it is going to eventually be removed .Is it still standing and if so is it in decent conditon?
Thanks
WSC

Yes, it is slated for removal when it needs maintenance, which is now, and, no, I don't think anyone would consider it to be in decent condition. The left wall is pulling away from the roof, and the back two corners have no firm anchor on the ground, to name a few structural problems.

But this is a vintage rustic shelter, and you should at least see it before it caves in or is removed. It has a deep interior recess unlike the more conventional WMNF shelters, the right side is built upon a large rock, and it snugs up against a large boulder. Peeled sapling poles form the roof rafters. It makes the dimension-lumber shelters like Rattle River and Rocky Branch 1 (the 1974 rebuild) look like rural bus stations. You can imagine 19th c. guides cutting pine boughs (gasp) and bedding down in Resolution shelter.

There probably were rough shelters on the Resolution site back into the 19th c., and the current one dates to the early part of the 20th c., doubtlessly with numerous repairs and rebuilds. On the right interior wall of the current shelter, there are pencilled graffiti from 1934 and 1935.

Waumbek said:
Yes, it is slated for removal when it needs maintenance, which is now, and, no, I don't think anyone would consider it to be in decent condition.
that may be USFS policy/planning, but their new forest plan changes the default policy from removal-when-maintenance-needed in all cases, to a case-by-case decision that is supposed to take into account historic/cultural/etc. aspects of it.

I remember when I took my backpack trip to the Whites in 1971. the four shelters I stayed at all had "outies" w/o the house - Greeley Pond, Camp Shehadi, Flat Mountain Pond & Black Mountain Pond. Now 3 of the 4 shelters and all the "outies" are gone! But I guess that was typical of the privies of the 60s/70s period in the Whites. But I did not have any females visit me while I was on the throne. Also, for David Metsky's info they have a two seater outhouse at Piazza Rock with a cribbage board between the two seats and on the outside of the privy is a sign "YOUR MOVE"!!!

Ray and I checked out the shelter yesterday. It is still standing, but in pretty sad structural condition. Lots of history written on the walls.

Some folks appeared to have stayed the previous night and had a fire at the pit that is right next to the shelter. Never saw one so close. :eek:

Marty