Resuce - hiker flown off Mount Jefferson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobandgeri

Reaction score
From today's Union Leader - online:

GORHAM – A New York hiker injured last night when he slipped and fell has been airlifted off Mount Jefferson and is enroute to Concord Hospital for head and neck injuries, according to Fish and Game.

Dr. Quentis Chess, 54, spent the night on the mountain, according to conservation officer Irving "Chip" Joseph. Full details were not immediately available this morning.

<Click Link for rest of Article>

NY hiker flown off Mount Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
The hikers used a cell phone to summon help, and because of darkness and steep terrain and since they were well-equipped, the decision was made to wait until first light to send a rescue team.
Sounds like they were well prepared -- good for them. And it probably didn't hurt that he was hiking with another doctor. :p

Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Good thing for them they weren't on Katahdin.

OK..........I'll bite.....................Why?

albee said:
Because Baxter State Park regulations prohibit the use of cell phones in the park.
In the event of an emergency no one would (or has) batted an eye. It wouldn't have changed the rescue one iota, and cell phones have been used for rescues in Baxter without any consequences. It's a non-issue.

I did. Thanks! I'm glad the Rangers have good sense. That doesn't surprise me, because the folks on the ground usually have good sense. My point was that given the ban from "officialdom," someone might be persuaded not to carry their cell phone; or possibly be fined for using it by some official, later, when the incident was over.

Seems to me that Mt. Jeff has had quite a few incidents this year. is it me, or has anyone else noticed it?

(Responding to later posts)

Then why not fix the regulation? Rather than a ban, as is cited int he text, wouldn't it make a lot more sense for the reg to read: "Carrying of cell phones is encouraged, for possible emergency use. Please do not use your cell phone for other than emergencies." or words to that effect?

Orbital bone? That's your eye socket, right - possibly cheekbone? And a neck injury?

Dang, that must have been a long night.

TCD said:
(Responding to later posts)

Then why not fix the regulation? Rather than a ban, as is cited int he text, wouldn't it make a lot more sense for the reg to read: "Carrying of cell phones is encouraged, for possible emergency use. Please do not use your cell phone for other than emergencies." or words to that effect?
This has been addressed in other threads about Baxter and electronics. Let's not hijack this thread, there were several recent ones that are perfectly suited for that discussion.

-dave-

Fisher Cat said:
Seems to me that Mt. Jeff has had quite a few incidents this year. is it me, or has anyone else noticed it?

Might have something to do with the high trailhead elevation - people picking the smallest vertical gain and relative short distance. I noticed a decent percentage of the hikers I saw on Caps Ridge earlier this month seemed to be over their heads.

Jefferson

I agree. Seems like every SAR report I've seen this year is from Jefferson. I also agree that the problem may be in the accessability.

KDT

That's exactly what I was thinking. starting elevation is, i believe around 3009. therefore people will quickly do the math and arrive at the "how hard can it be?"conclusion.

I was leading an AMC group up Caps Ridge on the 18th when we met a guy and a 12-year-old boy coming down below treeline. Learned later that the kid had fallen and whacked his nose.

The weather was pretty crappy that day with chilly wind and light rain. The Mt Wash bike race up the auto road got canceled due to ice on the road near the summit. I turned my group around as we started hitting the first scrambles around treeline. Going up them in the rain wasn't bad, but I really didn't like the idea of eventually having to downclimb the steep, wet rocks.