Shin Murnane passed away on the trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real sorry to hear this Bob, thanks for posting. I met Shin through fellow VFTT'r Ed aka Guiness and I was fortunate to have hiked with Shin a couple times in my pursuit of the 46r list. He was always a happy and friendy friend, who wasn't a speeddemon but would get things done. I enjoyed being with him and all the time we spent together in the woods. He was with us and a large crew when we did the 5 Dixes in a February winter from the Boquet. It was a long day and a bunch of us got out of the woods some 3 hours before Shin, Guiness, and HarryK got out. In fact, a bunch of us went back to the place we were staying, took showers, ate dinner, and then drove back to Round Pond (where we got out after coming off of Dix itself) around 9:30 somewhat worried and waiting for the signs of headlamps along the trail. By 10pm when we saw Guinness's and HarryK's headlamp, we counted 2, and not 3, wondering where the third person was who we knew had to be out there. Well the 3rd, expected hiker, was Shin, who managed to get out 1/2 hour before HarryK and Guinness and before we arrived at the trailhead. He walked down 73 to the Boquet where we had our cars and left, without us knowing it. But, we were glad to see that they all got out safely, Shin's car was gone (he wasn't staying the night) and all was well.

I am sorry that I didn't get a chance to hike more with him but happy to have known him as a friend and a fellow hiker. Keep on hiking Shin.

Jay

If there is another thread already out there, forgive me because I'm a bit upset. According to his obituary, Shin died saturday while hiking with his wife in the Adirondacks. I don't know anything else at this point, except what is in this notice: http://obits.syracuse.com/Syracuse/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=125609331
I have not seen any other information online, but I believe he was the subject of a rescue attempt just past Marcy Dam around 1-3 PM, Saturday. As we passed by, there were several people working on a man who had been down for almost an hour. Sad news...

I don't know where Shin was hiking, so it's possible that he passed away near Marcy Dam, as there was mention of a deceased hiker in a TR from 3/28. Although Shin didn't post much if at all, he was a Winter 46er and many hikers knew him from meeting him at trail heads or along the trail. Last March, as I was on my way up Dix solo from Round Pond, I passed Shin (also solo) as he was descending the mountain. He was a great guy. Quite ironic that he passed away the day that a bunch of winter hikers were congregating at the winter 46ers dinner in LP. Or perhaps it wasn't a coincidence - Shin might have even planned to attend that dinner with his wife. How traumatic for his wife, but Shin didn't die alone.

Last edited:
This hurts! Shin and I spent a lot of time together on and off the trails. Our journeys to Nicola's and the LPPB are legendary. I really don't know what to say, but I lost a great friend and I am so sorry for Carol, Mark and the rest of the family. I wish I could be there, but I am in England right now. I can't say more.....Shin I'm going to miss you.

P3170048.JPG

Shin's W46 Completion!

P2020009.JPG

Carol and Shin

P3190025.JPG

Shin and Ed

P3170042.JPG

I'm going to miss you......
"Where would your rather be........."

Last edited:
I did not know Shin, but my heart goes out to those who did. My sincerest condolences to his loved ones.

What awful news==Judy and I shared the trail w/ him while hiking Marshall this winter-He was on his way to Marcy. We chitchatted for a few minutes before parting ways. He struck both of us a real nice person. Kind of brings things close to home considering only a 6 year difference in our ages.

Condolences to all who knew him. It sounds like he was quite a man. Silver Star! Wow. Thanks to his family for producing such a son, and may his goodness ripple on.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed
I only met him once but he left an impression of someone who really loved being out in the woods climbing mountains.
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.
I Hope he is climbing the mountains of his dreams

What a huge loss. Shin was a great person to hike with and I was fortunate enough to have shared a few winter peaks with him. He only climbed in winter, summers were saved for his other passion - his boat! My best to the love of his life, his wife Carol! Great pictures Ed. I know the two of you were close. I'm sorry you're so far away right now.

Here's Guiness, Shin and I on Iroquois:
View attachment 2644

And Shin on Giant:
View attachment 2645

I went to the calling hours tonight and met HarryK there. There were tons of people all paying their respects. It was obvious how well liked he was and how many lives he has touched. I shared with Carol (his wife) and the "kids" that threads were running on the forums so that when they were ready they could read some of our thoughts about Shin as well. Carol said that they were at Marcy Dam and Shin said "what a beautiful day" then he went to get a snack out of his pack and just fell. It was instantaneous and he was where he loved to be and with the woman he loved. Definitely not a bad way to go, just should have waited a lot more years.

Good hiking Shin...

My condolences to all of you who knew him, and of course to his family.
He is hopefully enjoying the ultimate 'view from the top'.