Ski Recomendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
My wife got me back country skis for Christmas. I had never been on skis in my entire life -- back country, cross country, downhill etc -- so yesterday Jess and I (she has XC-skis) put on the skis, headed into the backyard, crossed the stream and hopped on the bike/ski path that cuts through Easthampton, MA. Skied for about 5 miles, maybe more, no falls at all on un-groomed but broken out path. I played hockey when I was younger so while skiing is of course different the action was not altogether unfamiliar... plus having snowshoed for a while now the whole thing with the poles seemed pretty natural. Really enjoyed it.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a nice place to go next? I think on Christmas Eve we're going to go somewhere to ski but I'm looking for some recommendations. Obviously, I'm not going to be skiing over Everest or anything but I felt pretty confident on flat ground and slight inclines, plus I felt ok breaking trail when I had to. Looking for something nice in MA/NH/VT. I was even thinking of going to Lincoln Woods and trying to ski to Stillwater Junction or something. But if anyone has a better suggestion, speak up. Wicked awesome!

-Dr. Wu

Tuckerman Ravine. Great beginner spot.
They're back country skis, I'm not that stupid.

-Dr. Wu

Edit: OK, Tuckerman's Ravine it is... thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Last edited:
Suggestions:
* Greely Ponds from Waterville (from the N is a harder)
* Livermore Rd from Waterville
* Kancamangus Brook (loop: come down Livermore Rd)
* Wilderness Tr (you can go all the way out to Zealand Rd** if conditions are good. Best later in the season.)
* Zealand Rd** to Ethan Pond Tr and Shoal Pond
* Camp 13 Falls
* To the base of Owl's head slide (or beyond)
* Beaver Brook ski area

** Zealand Rd will be plowed (for logging) this year and ski conditions are unknown. You may be able to ski along an edge.

There are lists of WMNF XC trails at http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/us_national_forest/nh/ski_whit.htm and http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/winter_activities/skiing/skiing.php

"Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Maine and New Hampshire" by David Goodman is probably the best guidebook. (Includes Tuckerman Ravine... :) ) There is also an edition for Vt and NY.

Pretty much any halfway clear logging road or railroad is potentially skiable. Skiing is also permitted at some golf courses.

Doug

Last edited:
Notchview (Trustees of Reservations) in Windsor MA ( RT 9)is wonderful and Northfield Mt also. Both are close to home.
Once you have a little more practice, Mt Toby fire road to the summit in beautiful, but not groomed. Great after a good snowfall.
Good skiing at Savoy State park also.

Congratulations. 5 miles your first time out is no joke. Does your wife ski ?

It'd be a good idea to spend some time, maybe take some lessons, at a local ski or groomed area. Getting up and down hill, turning and stopping, just getting more familiar with your gear. There are some standard techniques/maneuvers common to all skiing.

Suggestions:
* Greely Ponds from Waterville (from the N is a harder)
* Livermore Rd from Waterville
* Kancamangus Brook (loop: come down Livermore Rd)
Didn't you get hurt in this area?? Hey...

Notchview (Trustees of Reservations) in Windsor MA ( RT 9)is wonderful and Northfield Mt also. Both are close to home.
Once you have a little more practice, Mt Toby fire road to the summit in beautiful, but not groomed. Great after a good snowfall.
Good skiing at Savoy State park also.
Mt. Toby! That's a good idea but I had better get better first. I was thinking of skiing around the Reservoir around Mt. Tom.

Congratulations. 5 miles your first time out is no joke. Does your wife ski ?

It'd be a good idea to spend some time, maybe take some lessons, at a local ski or groomed area. Getting up and down hill, turning and stopping, just getting more familiar with your gear. There are some standard techniques/maneuvers common to all skiing.
My wife skis, she's the one who bought me the skis and went with me yesterday. She seems pretty competent. I'm too psycho for lessons. I'm a stubborn, flail around till you got it type of person but I will practice a lot and maybe take lessons once I get injured badly. I thought you just close your eyes to go down hill.

-Dr. Wu

With good snow conditions I like to ski up and down the road on Wachusett Mountain. The road to start at is near the trailhead of the Westside Trail. I think it is called the North Road.

Have fun!

With good snow conditions I like to ski up and down the road on Wachusett Mountain. The road to start at is near the trailhead of the Westside Trail. I think it is called the North Road.

Have fun!
You think this would be good for my second time on skis, ever?

-Dr. Wu

When you get some control going downhill Tripoli Road to Russel Pond is a great trip. In mid-winter ski on the pond (if the ice is solid enough for a snowmobile, it is solid enough for you :D).

Last edited:
My wife got me back country skis for Christmas.
-Dr. Wu

Back Country can be quite a broad spectrum when it comes to skis and terrain. To a certain degree the type of BC ski you have will dictate the terrain you will be able to ski; also that being said ability plays a huge part , as does snow conditions at the time. Do your skis have a mental edge and how high and stiff of a boot do you have? Knowing what gear you have would make it easier for appropriate trail reccomendations.

DougPaul said:
Kancamangus Brook (loop: come down Livermore Rd)
Didn't you get hurt in this area?? Hey...
A blowdown jumped out and bit me on an otherwise clear section of trail, so just watch out for blowdowns with evil grins...

My wife skis, she's the one who bought me the skis and went with me yesterday. She seems pretty competent. I'm too psycho for lessons. I'm a stubborn, flail around till you got it type of person but I will practice a lot and maybe take lessons once I get injured badly.
You might find some time at a commercial XC area helpful. It will give you a range of terrain in a single day, all difficulty graded in a reasonably controlled environment.

I thought you just close your eyes to go down hill.
You have to point your ski tips down the hill, then you close your eyes. Some say screaming helps, too.

Doug

dr_wu002 -
what direction does your house face? Look out one of your windows and ski the hill you see :)

I got back about 30 minutes ago on a morning ski up on Mt Tom.
Skinned up the old ski trails and got some nice powder/wind slab turns in.

Your (my) area has TONS of trails - big reason why i live here - and good rolling terrain throughout (holyoke range, tom, toby and beyond).

Anything I run, mt bike, or hike in the summer, gets skied now. bachelor st. mt bike trails are fun xc/bc terrain if that's what you're looking for, just to name 1 place.

Go north for bigger descents of course.

Please be more specific on your XC skis

What type of BC skis did you get? They range from widths that still fit in tracked trails at touring center all the way up to high tech BC skis designed for telemark stuff that are too wide for XC center. I happen to have a pair of Fischer E99's that are just barely narrow enough to use at XC center. Tradeoff with these is they are not very good for serious backcountry stuff. Part of getting trained up on this stuff is learning what your particular skis are capable of doing and what type you need to work up to whatever you aspire to. There's lots of good websites that explain lots of this stuff.

Suggestion for Mt Toby is good. I must have found the old fire warden road when I wnet there in November. The fire warden road is gorgeous area and has very nice grades that would be rated moderate to easy in XC center. You can bushwhack along some of the ridge tops just for a lark. There are number of trails that would be black diamond so watch out where you go.

Learn a few techniques will go along way and save you lots of grief.

1. HOW TURN ABOUT FACE IN ONE SPOT BY LIFTING SKIS.
2. LEARN TO SNOW PLOW TO STOP.
3. HOW TO SIDE STEP UP AND DOWN HILLS.
4. HOW TO HERRINGBONE UP HILLS.

When I was at UMass I skiied a lot at Amathyist Brook (?) in Amherst. Also the road up Holyoke was fun.