Summer Hiking Goals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finish the 4K's in summer. My wife broke her foot last year in August so we fell short. Backpacking trips. Getting my son's to go out with us (birthday and father's day gift) as we love having them with us and they are EXCELLENT Sherpas!

Oh Summer.......how I miss you!!!

New (to-me) trails......(always on the to-do list....and always so much fun)
More of the Cohos Trail (slowly but surely getting there!)
Trip back to CA (little bit of un-finished business with the PCT)
Trailwork! Trail magic! and anything else trail related I can fit in!

Yay, thinking ahead ...

- the annual 3 days or so on the LT in VT with wife, daughter, and auntie
- renew the annual series of kids + two grandmas dayhikes :)
- son's first backpacking trip
- something longer, 4-5 days point-to-point with daughter
- Mansfield 4x in a day: up LT or Hell Brook, down Sunset Ridge, up Laura Cowles, down Halfway House, up Maple Ridge, down Forehead Bypass, up LT to Forehead, down Nose Dive / Haselton. Wanted to do this last fall, but weather intervened!
- Maybe Franconia -> Pinkham in a day ...

Run a whole lot & stay healthy.

Dig a pond, build a wood-fired hot tub and a proper ski rack.

Not sure what else!

Last edited:
We started on the ADK 46R's last summer and managed to knock off 10 of them. My plan is to finish them within the next three years, before a significant b'day.
With that goal in mind we are climbing something challenging every week so as to be in shape this summer when we return to the ADK's

I've got several slides, a couple of remote ledges, a few lost ponds, waterfalls, and a dark ravine on my list. I seem to add on to my list at a faster rate than I can check off each year. At least I will be able to keep busy! :cool:

Good year in 2009 and looking for more in 2010

as for summer there will be some

swatting of flies

trail work..the saws will be busy

dodging of tourists in flip flops along the trail

walking through the mud after awhile..you can't dodge it all

revisits to several favorite swim holes along the way..to get rid of the mud

great vistas good times good friends

and looking forward to snow covered trails when they come around again..

Finish off a forth round of the 48. Get number 20 on the big W. Perhaps get back to the Bigelows in Maine. Climb Mt. Mitchel in NC, coming up this June. Do some more exploring in the Pemi wilderness. Redo Isolation and Owl's head following the whacks I learned this winter. Just have fun in the mountains with Lauky. :)

My hope for this summer is to make a full recovery from my ACL reconstructive surgery so I can get back on the trail sometime in October.

This sucks.

Not that it hasn't been done before, but a little personal challenge I've been tossing around would be trail running a round of the NH48 this summer.

Other plans are to complete the NEHH <finally>.

I'd really like to do a Pemi Loop. Also some creative long distance days of redlining in the Whites.

Some time in the Adirondacks would be nice.

Would like to balance all this with training for a century ride. :)

Too many goals, not enough summer?

if i get my way (and i usually do ;)) the only hiking i'm going to do is to the base of a rock climb.

Hopefully a bit more backpacking than I've been able to do lately.Maybe spend some time in the Kilkenny, and the eastern Pemi, and a few bushwacks in the vicinity of Moosilauke.
Camp/hike with the family,some trailwork, a Bicknell's Thrush survey.

Maybe even look for a job where I get paid to hike!:D:eek:

I have to get to the whites this spring/summer to finish the last 8 peaks i need for the NH48 and the 115... Sheesh, someday...

Jay

Hiking SB on the LT (from Middlebury Gap)
Fourth single day Presi Traverse
Trails I've never done : Castle, Six Husbands, King Ravine

Also planning to run a 5k in every NE state (for fun)

On thinking it over, I don't really have any goals for "summer" when it often seems hot and buggy when the day comes - with luck I may get to the Adk for some little-known peaks and maybe the Long Trail Festival again

My most active times will probably spring and fall when a lot of new 0k and 1k peaks will be climbed

Pemi Loop
Great Gulf from Rt 16 to the summit
A few days of trailwork on Snapper
Spend some time in the Daks

I'm planning on more rock than hiking weekends...:p

I do plan on climbing Mount Assiniboine 11,870 ft in BC, Canada :rolleyes:
(it's been calling me the last few years)

Lots of cardio and training to get in shape for my next big adventure...:eek:

Spending more time camping and hiking with my Grandson's! :D

While not goals per se, when I have time to hike I would like to:

1. Hike more with my family
2. Explore some of the more popular non-4Ks, like Moats, Baldfaces, Chocorua (all new to me)
3. Some bigger/longer trips:
3a. Hike Washington via some of the longer routes
3b. Franconia Ridge traverse
3c. Twins + Bonds traverse
3d. Of course, Presidential traverse
3e. Not sure I could handle a full Pemi loop... maybe, but not at a run for certain.
4. NE67/NEHH as feasible - with at least one weekend trip to the Rangely/Stratton area

I also want to ride more and fish more ;)

Tim

Last edited:
Also planning to run a 5k in every NE state (for fun)
I read that as "run a 5000-footer" and thought you might run into difficulties in 4/6 states...

My goal is NEHH, before I have to leave NE.

Summer 2010--a few goals...

1. I need to finish up my "96," ie second time around on the 48. I did my 48 the first time more than 10 years ago, within two years. Since then I've done many peaks repeated times, but can't quite seem to finish doing ALL of them at least twice. Still left are the outliers:

Isolation
Owls Head
Wildcats
one of the Carters

2. Did a Boston--New York 3 day/300 mile ride last year. If I'm in shape enough I might attempt doing it both ways, for 600 miles, this year.

3. Rainier, if I have time at the end of the summer.