Thanksgiving in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
I have Wednesday through Sunday off for Thanksgiving, and since all of my family lives far away, I figured I'd get in some good hiking in the Whites. If anyone wants to join me for the entire trip or just a day, you're more than welcome. :D

As of now, my itineray is as follows:

Wednesday: Arrive at the Dolly Copp Campground in the early afternoon. Staying there for duration of trip.

Thursday: Tom, Field, Willey via Avalon

Friday: Middle & South Carter

Saturday: Meeting up with Stinkyfeet & Cruddytoes to hike Washington from Pinkham Notch. Dinner afterwards and then heading home.

We will be driving up to the Twin Mountain area on Thanksgiving Day morning, but interested in a group dinner with anyone else that will be in the area Thursday, as well as hiking Fri and Sat.

I’m half tempted to join you Artex, but given the speed with which you three hike, I would have to start sometime on Friday to keep up. :D

I'll be doing something Fri-Sun but have only just started to think about possibly putting together some type of planning...

I would like to do something Saturday, but tentatively plan to do Washington this weekend. I'll keep checking this post to see where it leads.....

PI/AMSTony ... I vote for the 27th -- pretty please! -- since I'll be attending (drum roll please) my 25th high school reunion the night before. :eek:

I'll be in CT for the reunion, so I could easily shoot up to Vermont that Sunday. I dying to see those door knobs below Dorset!

Pat and I plan to stay in Bartlett or Twin Mt or somewhere Friday through Sunday. I'll watch for any plans developing. Like Mad River, we'd have to start a few days early to finish with you elites! :D

I'd be up for something on Saturday.... although probably not Washington, as I am relatively new to this winter hiking :p

Bob and Geri,

That sounds like a good plan. We'll keep in touch. Depends if we can get out of here at the crack o' dawn. That brook near the top of Edmands Path gives me pause, though, since Genie will be with us. If it's frozen...and I've never tried to whack around it.

I'll be looking to hike something the Friday after Thanksgiving. Possibly Mariah and Shelburne Mariah.

I wish I could get up there to hike during the Thanksgiving weekend, but I am going to be in Florida with family--have fun you all!

A heads up: For those of you who will be up in the Whites hiking but still want a real Thanksgiving meal on Thursday, I know the Highland Center is offering a buffet throughout the afternoon (with other things going on too). See below for details if you are interested:

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/highland/featured-programs.cfm

Have to help my dad with firewood on Friday but Mtnmama and I hope to hike Sat and/or Sunday :cool:

audrey said:
Bob and Geri,

That sounds like a good plan. We'll keep in touch. Depends if we can get out of here at the crack o' dawn. That brook near the top of Edmands Path gives me pause, though, since Genie will be with us. If it's frozen...and I've never tried to whack around it.

Audrey - we have no problem ascending and descending via Crawford Path. Maybe we tenatively plan for a 9 AM start.