"The Grid" has replaced "The List"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beyond the Grid...lies The Matrix
I doubt it. The Grid is nicely packaged up and now seems attainable because more "ordinary" people are working on it and completing it. Also, it probably gives people something to do after simply completing the NH48 (now what do I work on?). It's also not as excessive as say the 48x48 or inaccessible as the 3000'ers. Plus it's got a catchy name that people are starting to recognize and identify with: The Grid.

I think it's pretty cool. It's definitely bigger and requires more seasonal perseverance than the 48 does. I just can't imagine ever doing it considering I've done stupid ones like Tecumser and South Carter once and others like the Presidentials 15x.

-Dr. Wu

I won't know whether to congratulate, or feel sorry for, whoever should finish the grid in a year. Probably, feel sorry for.

This Saturday I am going to hike a trail, not to a summit or pond, that I have already been on before. When I reach a non-descript location, I am going to turn around and hike out.

To some, that is a complete waste of time.

Make sure you record the date, give it a name, and we'll call it "dug's List."

I think another thing is enough people have "broken the seal" that it seems attainable by ordinary people and you don't have to be Ed Hawkins or Sue Johnston or Cath Goodwin to do it in a few years.

Speaking only for myself (Sue), it took 15 years to finish the Grid. The only point in time I very aggressively pursued completion was in 2003, when it was down to 30 peaks in April and 3 in November.

If you take away the "one peak per hike" Trailwrights rule, the 72 Grid becomes a lot more do-able.

Beyond the Grid... there are a whole lot of mountains out there!!

Also, it probably gives people something to do after simply completing the NH48 (now what do I work on?).-Dr. Wu

This is something I have given a lot of contemplation, due to the fact that my wife, Klutzy Kat, is done with her 48. For myself personally, the 48 was the only list I had ever been interested in. There are certainly those I would like to go back to via different trails, and as my in-laws work on their 48, I would absolutely go along. There are peaks I would like to go to, such as Old Speck and Katahdin (I haven't been to K since I was 14), and the peaks over in VT interest me because I have enjoyed hearing members of our family speak of them.

But awhile ago I made the determination that I was going to just keep going back to NH to hike for the most part, and for the greater part keep doing volunteer trail work in the Whites. I think I'm done with Lists only because I feel I get the same satisfaction in doing trail work as I did when relentlessly pursuing the 48, same feeling as then, just a different avenue. When an opening for a RL opened up, I jumped on it because now I have all the more reason (see: excuse) to be back home in NH doing what I love. I guess some could see that as "narrow minded", or "limited scope", but it works for me, its my resolve, and I'm gonna stick with it.

Speaking only for myself (Sue), it took 15 years to finish the Grid. The only point in time I very aggressively pursued completion was in 2003, when it was down to 30 peaks in April and 3 in November.
It took you 15 years because in the meantime you were out winning ultras and setting FKT's! :p:D To be honest, at the time (~5 years ago) seeing names like Ed Hawkins (obsessive, lots of time on his hands, obsessive), Sue J (trail running god), Cath Goodwin (hiking god) associated with something like the Grid made it seem extremely inaccessible and impossible for more ordinary people like me. But when you start to see more regular people completing it and the number of people completing it increasing it seems more attainable.

Like I said, Jason Flowinghair and I might try and go for an October Grid ascent of Tecumser. OK, the cat is out of the baklava (so to speak): we're working on The Grid together! He's doing one half and I'm doing the other!

-Dr. Wu

It took you 15 years because in the meantime you were out winning ultras and setting FKT's! :p:D To be honest, at the time (~5 years ago) seeing names like Ed Hawkins (obsessive, lots of time on his hands, obsessive), Sue J (trail running god), Cath Goodwin (hiking god) associated with something like the Grid made it seem extremely inaccessible and impossible for more ordinary people like me. But when you start to see more regular people completing it and the number of people completing it increasing it seems more attainable.

Like I said, Jason Flowinghair and I might try and go for an October Grid ascent of Tecumser. OK, the cat is out of the baklava (so to speak): we're working on The Grid together! He's doing one half and I'm doing the other!

-Dr. Wu

Of course it's attainable! ;-) stay somewhat organized and keep hiking!!

I have a feeling there could be those who have spent thier lives hiking in NH and have finished it without knowing or even trying !

Perhaps before I retire! Love all the seasons including spring especially if there is still snow so it's a great year-round fitness program. So far the bones don't creak too bad and if I keep things down to one or two trips and multiple peaks per month I don't feel I am over doing it. Hiking mountains can definitely be an obsession and I can't think of a better one to keep you in the woods and among great trail friends! 30-50 peaks a year is easily doable, 576 per year is not even on the dreamscape! Besides why would I want to make work out of an enjoyable hobby!;)

Normally, I'm all for whatever list floats one's boat. It'd be hypocritical for me call out any other hiker just because they were following a list, after I'd completed the 46, have come quite close to finishing the W46 and the Catskill 35, and am actively attempting to spend a night in each of the 275 or so lean-tos in New York State.

That being said, I do have one serious objection to the idea of Griding that will probably keep me from ever attempting it: It promotes hiking on steep slopes and in fragile alpine ecosystems during the period of time when they are most susceptible to damage from hikers: the spring.

Spring time, when the soils are saturated with melt water, is by far the worst time of year to be climbing tall mountains in the northeast. Erosion and mud can go from being non-existent to a huge problem on a trail with the passage of only a few hikers. In the past, the DEC in NYS has even instituted voluntary spring time hiking bans in the High Peaks, asking the public to reconsider and choose hikes in less sensitive areas on flatter ground that is lower in elevation. Springtime hiking can be (and has been) a huge problem.

I would strongly encourage everyone who completes the Grid to please get involved in a few days worth of volunteer trail work. Doing so will allow you to at least rest easy with the knowledge that you have done more to protect our backcountry resources than your feet have harmed them in the spring. :)

Last edited:
and am actively attempting to spend a night in each of the 275 or so lean-tos in New York State.

That's a really nice idea.

Often, when I am hiking with my friend, Eric, we think up ideas for lists done in ways others maybe haven't done before, or ways to link hikes and configure their start/finish times to make them unique. I think its the creativity and flexibility that keeps me motivated.

Like they say, its not the destination (or patch/list) but the journey. For some people, its helping new hikers finish the entry lists. For some, the lists just get longer and longer. Lists help keep me getting out the door. There are so many lists now, its easy to pick one up for a time, then put it down and work on the next one to keep it fresh. I hope I never need them to solely motivate me, but for now, they represent a bit of structure that keeps me knowing what hike I'll probably be hiking next, and its good to have that to look forward to!

Happy Trails. :)

Besides why would I want to make work out of an enjoyable hobby!;)

Bingo! The whole point for me of hiking is enjoying it. While that does often entail a modicum of "suffering," to impose so much structure on it would in fact take the fun out of it for me. I want to hike a peak because I want to hike that peak, or that trail, or visit that area, not because I "have to get it in June."

May 1st was bad enough for Owl's Head; I'm not going back in April!

Bingo! The whole point for me of hiking is enjoying it. While that does often entail a modicum of "suffering," to impose so much structure on it would in fact take the fun out of it for me. I want to hike a peak because I want to hike that peak, or that trail, or visit that area, not because I "have to get it in June."

May 1st was bad enough for Owl's Head; I'm not going back in April!

Oh come on Mike there is some beautiful weather in April! Those nice wet smooching spruces miss you already!;) Besides I know a "shortcut" over Franconia Ridge where you can miss most of the crossings!:D

Oh come on Mike there is some beautiful weather in April! Those nice wet smooching spruces miss you already!;) Besides I know a "shortcut" over Franconia Ridge where you can miss most of the crossings!:D

and, you probably won't hit your head on a tree or impale yourself on yur hiking pole next time! I say, lets make Owls Head a family tradition EVERY May 1st (of course, Dave Bear you are expected to join!)

Besides....Pemi NEEDS it....LOL!

:D

That's a really nice idea.

It started out as just that- an idea, but then I started to get a lot more serious about it and really work at it. After about 5 years, I'm up to 107 done, more than one third of the way through! At this rate, I should be done in about 10 years or so. :)

It started out as just that- an idea, but then I started to get a lot more serious about it and really work at it. After about 5 years, I'm up to 107 done, more than one third of the way through! At this rate, I should be done in about 10 years or so. :)

But the big question is, have you decided where you are going to finish?? :D:eek::)

I just shook my magic 8-ball and asked it, will I do the grid.
It said, " Very Doubtful "...
Even if I lived in the mountains and took out the time/cost factor, it would never happen.
I mean, if someone told me, I had to hike Passaconaway 12 times I'd probably jump off a cliff right now !
I like to enjoy every hike I do.
I also have many friends who have completed and/or are working on the grid.
And, like TDawg said, I don't know whether to congratulate them or feel sorry for them.

Example;
Drove into OBP lot one morning and out of the blue, meet up with a future Grid finisher friend. We said," Hey were doing the loop, want to hike with us ? " " Naw, I only need Lincoln. and, I don't really want to do it. "

Get that, " I don't really want to do it "
So are we having fun yet?
I wonder how many people have blown me off on at stellar weekend in the prezzies because they had to do Tom/Field/Willey.
But, I say, If that's your dream Go For It !

I wonder how many people have blown me off on at stellar weekend in the prezzies because they had to do Tom/Field/Willey.
!

Nah, Tom Field and Willey (and WF / Passaconnaway) are rainy day hikes, every Gridiot knows that. :p

I just shook my magic 8-ball and asked it, will I do the grid.
It said, " Very Doubtful "...
!

LOVE IT!

and, you probably won't hit your head on a tree or impale yourself on yur hiking pole next time! I say, lets make Owls Head a family tradition EVERY May 1st (of course, Dave Bear you are expected to join!)

Besides....Pemi NEEDS it....LOL!

:D

Nope. The Grid doesn't interest me. As a skier, it's going to take me long enough to finish my winter 48 (I only hike during Christmas vacation, MLK weekend, and February vacation ... aka pass blackout and mob scene weekends), I'm not even going to think about trying to get every peak in every ski season month.

Nor April.
:)