"The Grid" has replaced "The List"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading all of the posts in this thread and no one has mentioned the bragging rights that go along with completing the lists and, of course, VFTT and other similar websites that give you the best bragging platform to make your "Declaration of Completion". Also, our society loves "one-upping" its neighbor i.e. my Benz is nicer than your Lexus... and so goes the same mentality with peak bagging.

But I must admit, I love reading about all of this and also the FKTs and the ultrahike craziness. So, it's all good!

I am surprised no one has mentioned redlining the WMG handbook as a list/goal. Rather than repeating many hikes, for me, I'd rather go and explore new places and trails I've never done. Trails exist for a reason: they go somewhere. I'd like to see where all the trails go to instead of always seeing the same thing. I think there is too much focus on hikes being "peak-oriented" and not just getting out there and exploring.

I did (post #44), and I agree with you totally.

The Grid is, to me, is like going to the same place for vacation every year, when there are so many other places to visit.

I haven't seen anyone mention another possibility, one for those with jobs, family, injuries, wanting to protect the trails when they are most fragile by staying away, other pursuits, etc.

How about an abbreviated Grid, to be called the Four Seasons Grid?

I'm just trying to even out the number of times I've completed the standard NH 48, and enjoy hiking and exploring new territory outside of NE for a week or two a year.

How about an abbreviated Grid, to be called the Four Seasons Grid?

I keep track of this and I know others do also :)

The Grid is such a big, longterm project; keeping track of the Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring 48 makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere. :D

I did (post #44), and I agree with you totally.

The Grid is, to me, is like going to the same place for vacation every year, when there are so many other places to visit.
I like to combine redlining with Gridding -- but really for me, its all about having the opportunity to go out and hike on my weekends!! Since the Whites are closest to me, I'm most likely to do my hiking there.

Last edited:
Done with Lists

It took me 27 years to complete the NH48, six of which were winter climbs. Serving in the Army and being a parent of kids who never became avid hikers both got in the way.

Mt Monroe was my last one and that was four years ago. Since then, I've kept hiking and climbing in all four seasons and not recording dates. I've found that not keeping track is a liberating experience. For almost 30 years I made myself worry about keeping that list, updating it, not losing it, and consulting it before any hike I planned.

Now I just climb whatever mountain I feel like climbing just because I feel like climbing it, not because it remains on my list. I'm even hiking more often and in less ideal conditions than I used to be comfortable with.

I never sent in my application to the AMC for membership in the club. I filled it out, but haven't sent it in. I'm content just having climbed them all and don't need the patch. Who knows, maybe some day I will send in the application. Maybe.

I like it better this way; not having to keep track like I used to. I'm enjoying each hike more. So, I don't think I'll be worrying about lists in the future.

Which isn't to say that I'm not interested in visiting each peak in every season. It just means that I'm happier not devoting my energy to tracking it.

But then again, I do like playing with spreadsheets. Maybe I'll go through all my hiking pictures and pull out the dates of my post-NH48 hikes and start filling in a grid... I could modify my NH48 spreadsheet... Hmm... The kids are all in college now, so I have more time for hiking... I just refuse to get excited about missing one or about not completing the new list. Or even, climbing the same mountain more than once in the same month, thereby "wasting" an opportunity to fill in a grid space.

I like to combine redlining with Gridding -- but really for me, its all about having the opportunity to go out and hike on my weekends!! Since the Whites are closest to me, I'm most likely to do my hiking there.

Another option for you Sabrina : NHHH... if that idea ever comes across your mind again, let me know, because I would re-do them anytime !!!:D

Spiny Mouse;358921 I've found that not keeping track is a liberating experience. For almost 30 years I made myself worry about keeping that list said:
I felt as you do about not keeping track after my first round. Then years later -- was it about a year ago -- I read of Grumpy Gran's accomplishments and began to wonder how many rounds I've done, and maybe even up the number. I've done three full rounds since I received my patch, and a good number of peaks I've done 8 or 10 times. I had to write to the people I've helped finish their lists to get some of the info, and filled in my own spreadhseet according to what they know I've done. I find it fun again to keep track and it also helps me decide what to hike next if I'm stumped.

Regarding the seasonal 48

I keep track of this and I know others do also :)

I like to combine redlining with Gridding

I keep track of the "seasonal" as well. Definitely more within reach. (because it's only 1/3 of the grid...)

Gridding and redlining is a nice way to mix up hikes of the 48 on new trails as well as on new, non-summit focused trails as Cal mentioned. I keep track of both because I have a type-A personality. Whether I complete them or not...I enjoy the forests and mountains.

I mix these lists with lots of Northern Pressie hikes (most not to summits) just because that area is awesome :D

Another option for you Sabrina : NHHH... if that idea ever comes across your mind again, let me know, because I would re-do them anytime !!!:D

I'd be up for it, we'll see if she comes along or not! :)

Seriously, I'm always up for visiting new places (in decent weather), and if I was ever to do another list it would be NHHH or 52WAV. Or red-line. That sounds like a great way to see *everything*.

I haven't seen anyone mention another possibility, one for those with jobs, family, injuries, wanting to protect the trails when they are most fragile by staying away, other pursuits, etc.

I have a hard time buying that philosophy, really you dont hike at certain times to protect the trails? I have heard that a few times out here from different people. The mountains are tougher then we are believe me, they where here long before you and they will out live you easily. Im not saying I dont watch where I stomp up high because I do, but really, to stay home for the sake of protecting the trails is really out there imo. To be frank I think the earth is for man's use and pleasure, thats why Im not a big LNT guy, Ive camped in areas in CO, NH,and Ca I use the forest and leave a mark sometimes and I sleep fine at night after doing so.

Gene Daniels once commented that someone has to really like bushwhacking in spruce/fir thickets in Northern NH to do the NH 100 highest. I havent finished, but Nash Stream and the adjacent mountains have a load of them.

Last edited:
I have a hard time buying that philosophy, really you dont hike at certain times to protect the trails?

Many of the trails in the VT State Parks are closed during mud season, and they (the state and the GMC) request that you stay off many others. While the mountains will survive, the trail experience can and will suffer, or there will be extra work required by trail crews.

Many of the trails in the VT State Parks are closed during mud season, and they (the state and the GMC) request that you stay off many others. While the mountains will survive, the trail experience can and will suffer, or there will be extra work required by trail crews.
The VT 4k Grid isn't exactly a hot item! :p

I'm obviously not working on the Grid but I do hike in "mud" season in the Whites. I try to be fairly conscientious about not overly contributing to trail erosion but to be honest it's so hard to predict. Sometimes you have the monorail till like July. Other times trails are bone dry. And some trails are wet all year round. I find November and December "ice flow" season to be a lot more annoying. But in terms of mud season... is this really a huge issue in the Whites?

Even in the GMC. I did the Northern half of the LT in 2009 and nearly the entire thing was one continuous mud pit but the trails were still open then.

-Dr. Wu

Gene Daniels once commented that someone has to really like bushwhacking in sprice fir thickets in Northern NH to do the NH 100 highest. I havent finished but Nash Stream and the adjacent mountains have a load of them.

Actually I can say from experience that Northern New Hampshire has some of the most gorgeous woods out there! Lots and lots of hardwoods. Oh sure, that is not to say there is not some nasty peaks up there (Deer and North West Crystal I am looking in your direction....), but for the most part there is more great woods than bad. It is why I fell in love with the Great North Woods.

Brian

The 4 seasons can basically be done as 2 seasons if you do spring peaks after Memorial Day and fall peaks before Columbus Day

They open Memorial Day so you can get May, early April they're probably snow covered and OK

We have completed a half a dozen "lists" and were pursuing yet another this year when it all became a bit too much. Since that time we have been doing our favorites, and redoing many mountains by different trails.
We are enjoying our hikes more than ever before, and noticing things that flew by us in the past while rushing to get that check-mark.
I hope I never again let the pursuit of a patch cause me to miss the beauty that I hiked for initially

Reactions: dug
With apologies to the NH grid hikers, the OCD peakbagging ribbon has to go to Fred Hunt & he did it back in the 60's & 70's. (See your F&C)

In a fairly short period, he did the 46 in all four seasons, all 12 months, all at night, 110 months with a Marcy ascent & in a 3.5 year period averaged 3 peaks a week. (all while having a job indoors which was what set him on his way)

Congratulations to all who just get outside. I've managed a couple of ADK trips this year but I've been just about a year off the NH trails while leading our Pack's hiking committee. Been doing all sorts of short hikes in CT & have been on the roof of RI twice this year, so far!:D Hopefully I can get up to NH soon.

Last edited:
Dave,
I used to train on Monadnock and ran into larry many times, nice fellow, is he still at it? havent seen him for years, but I dont get to monadnock much anymore.