Views and Brews - My kind of list.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
I have to admit, I like hiking lists and I like beer. Last night, these proclivities culminated into finishing another list – the New Hampshire Views and Brews list. It did not suck.

I have to appreciate the creation of such a list. It made me aware of several decent brewpubs that I hadn't even heard of before and what a long strange trip it has been.

I had already completed the Woodstock Inn grid and had multiple missions to Moat mountain brewery under my belt by the time I heard of the list. It was time to march on. Each had some great memories.

Redhook Brewery/Mt. Agamenticus – I really enjoyed the ESB and saw two things rare things simultaneously – NewHampshire sampling beers and the sight of him peakbagging in Maine. Brian's interest in beer was more culinary than any interest in intoxication, so we ordered the sampler and an extra glass to split them. Brian made some astute observations for someone who doesn't drink and we enjoyed our meals thoroughly. After dinner, when he ordered dessert the waiter brought it with two spoons. I still chuckle about that one.

Moat Mountain Brewery/ Moat Mountain Traverse – I had already been to the brewery, so when I saw this recommended on the VNB list, I knew I had to do this. The Moats were an absolutely gorgeous hike right until we got to North Moat and I began looking for the trail. The area was pretty icy and as I peered down towards the trees below to see where the trail went. I crept along slowly on my microspikes before reaching a steep edge where I commented, “You know Brian, this is the first time I ever wish I had an ice axe,” just before sliding down. I tried digging in but couldn't stop. Fortunately I was able or lucky enough to steer myself towards a convenient couple of trees to stop my fall and nearly pull my shoulder out of its socket. Their stout tastes even better after surviving peril

Seven Barrels / Moose Mountain – Had a fun hike with Gary. I recall laughing at seeing several copies of Rush Limbaugh books in a box. The box was marked something to the effect of “DO NOT READ – KINDLING ONLY.” We enjoyed the Red #7 ale and burgers in the restaurant. After dinner we read the sign in the bathroom and realized our burgers would have been half price if we just sat at the bar.

Portsmouth Brewery/Market Square – I love this place, and love walking around Market Square. The easiest hike on the list, but one I'll repeat again. Good food and drink.

Flying Goose/Mt. Sunapee – I hiked this last week as part of my monorail-avoidance plan. When I was younger I used to climb Cardigan frequently, and had originally planned on hiking the surrounding mountains – but it never quite happened. I have picked up a few of these pursuing other lists, but this was the best excuse yet to visit this pleasant peak. Having been doing more brews than views lately, I really huffed my way up there at slow speed. I hiked with my Belknap-guide extraordinaire St'eve, Christa and Happyhiker. The Flying Goose had a lovely view of Kearsarge, and the porter was delicious.

Martha's Exchange/Mine Falls Park – being so close to the finish, I decided to see if Marc was available to show me the wonders of Nashua. We scaled the mighty heights of one of the hills and signed in at the canister. We saw the dam. We got thirsty. I learned it was a shame I hadn't been here before. I celebrated my VNB-NH finish with Steph and Marc, finishers #3 and 4 with the deliciously sweet and creamy barleywine, and then moved onto the samplers. As a sampler it was a good experience – my favorites were the barleywine, boch, and red ale.

I heartily recommend visiting www.viewsandbrews.com . It is arguably the most fun list for the effort out there.. and there is even a spiffy patch! Thanks to everyone at Views and Brews and all the people who have joined me on this amusing journey. Anyone working on the list, drop me a line – I wouldn't mind a good excuse to revisit the pubs and trails.

Beer and hiking... it doesn't get much better than that without throwing sex into the mix... and as far as I know, there is no Views, Brews and Screws list at this time. ;)

I heartily recommend visiting www.viewsandbrews.com . It is arguably the most fun list for the effort out there.. and there is even a spiffy patch! Thanks to everyone at Views and Brews and all the people who have joined me on this amusing journey. Anyone working on the list, drop me a line – I wouldn't mind a good excuse to revisit the pubs and trails.

Appears that there are at least 10 different patches avaiilable so far!

Great report!

Some other hikes to consider in combination with brew pubs in the Northeast are county high points. :)

Appears that there are at least 10 different patches avaiilable so far! Great report!
Agreed! Great report, you have captured the spirit of the Quest!

We've done

NY / NJ / MA / CT / RI / DE / VT / WV / NH (9)

And we have Maine scoped out, as well as PQ. Thanks Timmus! :D

If you want to help me start a state, feel free!

Congratulations on an excellent and characteristic accomplishment. I like Lists like this that aren't mere arithmetical collections of highest, most prominent or some other statistic, but have a non-mathematical theme.

For me, however, the Views and Brews list has one big flaw - beer and its cousins, whatever their temperature, leave me totally cold. Someone should compile a list for those of us who favor the Fruit of the Vine - Inclines and Wines? NH would be an easy one to complete, I'm afraid. I know of only one NH winery with a public tasting room - Flag Hill Winery in Lee. (Flag Hill Winery is NH's biggest - I've seen their stuff in NH wine dispensaries but have never tried it.) I guess their Winery is on Flag Hill, so if you park at the bottom and ascend the driveway, maybe you've killed two birds. If that isn't a sufficient challenge, Pawtuckaway State Park isn't far away. Southern New England offers many more winery tastings and many fewer significant climbs.

The ultimate List might try to take advantage of the recent spreading of the "artisanal" movement to spirituous liquors, with little hand-crafted vodka, gin and fruit-brandy distilleries popping up around New England. Crags and Jags? Perhaps it is fortunate that, as far as I know, they don't offer tasting rooms.

I get a steady stream of people who want me to include their favorite past time in my list! ;) :p :rolleyes:

I politely tell them that this is my quest, and they are free to join me, and/or start another one. :D

I get a steady stream of people who want me to include their favorite past time in my list!

That hadn't entered my mind. I didn't know it was your list, but that shows my lack of interest in the suds. I think it's a great idea and I'm sure you've executed it well. I would be happy to copy you, merely substituting the liquid. The New England wineries I know tend to be near the sea, so a jog up a dune or esker might have to do for the "Views" bit, but that's the lesser half, right? :p

... so a jog up a dune or esker might have to do for the "Views" bit, but that's the lesser half, right? :p
Might I be so bold as to go further and suggest that it is the optional half
cheers.gif

Congrats McRat on your finish! NH is a far trip for me, I got 2 with my nephew over the last 2 years, both on Columbus weekends.

Hi Dawn, hope all is well.

Carol, went paddling on Mullica a few weeks ago and hiked around the Batso. Grabbed a beer in Tom's River lots of fun. Hmmm, how about a patch for going to at least 10 places named Tom? :rolleyes:

My friend IndianChris and I do a lot of paddling and we thought about a patch for "paddles and pubs" but decided that it's to much work to really figure it out. Goes to show how much work Tom has continued to put into his site. With another bad knee starting it looks like I'll be working on another state. The list has taken me to many scenic places other than high peaks.

NY VT CT viewsandbrews finisher