What is the equivalent of climbing Everest 16 times?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seema and Brian,
So glad you're getting into familiar territory! I'm sure knowing the trails and being close to so many friends will be a huge boost of energy. Not that you seem to need it, we're so very impressed with what you've accomplished so far!!

We were on vaca this week up in Twin at our trailer. Had hoped you'd be a bit closer but hopefully we'll try to catch up if the timing works out. Otherwise know you're in our thoughts. The sun gods seem to be shining a bit more last few days, hopefully they'll stay happy for the rest of your journey. Good luck and enjoy!!

Geri & Bob

had a very difficult day of hiking today. Just didn't feel my usual self so we decided to call it a day at thistle hill shelter. So we are about 8 miles behind the schedule i posted this morning. We will try and make up that 8 miles in the next 6 days or so. I will keep posting when i have reception. Thank you so much to everyone who has emailed and posted, it helps my spirits more than you know.

Hot Cheese and Birdbath - we are all cheering for you! I hope today is nice and sunny for you...and the rest of the week is looking pretty sunny and dry too. I sent you an email letting you know I'd like to try to meet up with you again this week - if you can, please let us know where you'll be later in the week!

hugs,
Katie

Hey Hot Cheese & Birdbath,

I hear your getting close to the White Mountains!!!!!
You have our numbers we will be arriving on Friday night.
Let us know were you'll be....we will pick you up.
Can't wait to see you and hear the stories.

Hugs,

Mtnmama

camped just north of hexacuba shelter. We have had a couple of really nice days and our spirits are back up. We are currently in a storm but dry in our tent.

tuesday night in glencliff
wednesday tenting it near gordon pond which is 3 miles north of nh 112
thursday either lonesome lake or lincoln, nh
friday either garfield campsite or galehead hut
saturday either ethan pond or crawford notch
sunday lakes of the clouds
monday either osgood or pinkham

that is my best guess for where we will each night for the next week. Hope to catch up with some of you. My reception has been spotty at best but i will update whenever i can.

Does anyone plan on hooking up with Seema and Brian this weekend?

I might camp saturday night in the crawford notch area, and try and cross their path in the pemi, prezzies, or wherever they might be.

Stev-o said:
Does anyone plan on hooking up with Seema and Brian this weekend?

I might camp saturday night in the crawford notch area, and try and cross their path in the pemi, prezzies, or wherever they might be.

I was hoping to meet them in Kinsman Notch to drive them into North Woodstock and the Station for a Pemi Pale Ale, but the timing did not work out. I cannot get back north until Sunday, so perhaps I can catch them in Pinkham Notch?

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I was hoping to meet them in Kinsman Notch to drive them into North Woodstock and the Station for a Pemi Pale Ale, but the timing did not work out. I cannot get back north until Sunday, so perhaps I can catch them in Pinkham Notch?

According to Seema's last post, if they keep on track, they will be in the crawford notch area on sat, and lakes of the clouds sun night.
I'm up for hiking both days, not sure which way to head yet, but plan on camping in the crawford notch area saturday night, unless I hear otherwise.

Hope to get an update before saturday morning, to keep me on track.

we are camped about 2 to 2.5 miles north of rt 112. Late start from glencliff hostel had us hiking late today. We had the most beautiful weather over Moosilauke. It was an amazing day and i felt so happy all day that i thought i'd bust.

anyway, still hoping to be on my schedule as i posted last. Trying to coordinate with bunchberry and madriver for tomorrow and friday. Hope to see some of you this weekend. I will be trying hard to get to crawford notch on saturday night. Hoping either mtnma and mtnpa or j&j can pick us up if we make it there. I believe they both have places close to there and both have offered.

many times i get web access but not enough reception to make a phone call so i will post here or send text messages.

also, i have getting emails asking what we'd like for food and honestly we are just thrilled to have so many friends visiting but if you'd like to bring goodies we crave vegetables and i crave stuff like soup and beans, things we can't usually carry on the trail.

thanks again.

We'll be looking for you on Saturday. Any idea of what time you think you'll hit 302? We'll head up Ethan Pond trail if we don't see you in the notch.

Here is the plan. I received an email form Seema and I will meet her, Brian, and Katie at the Liberty Springs trailhead tonight at 8:00pm. I will take them back to my house, cook dinner and tomorrow morning drive Seema & Brian to the trailhead and hike the ridge with them. They should make it to Garfield tent site with no problem or they may push on to Galehead hut. That would put them at the Ethan Pond tent site on Saturday night or push on and meet J&J or PA/MA at 302.

Last edited:
I just got a call from Seema. They are having difficulty with the mud and other issues so they are hiking a mile an hour at this point. They will camp tonight off the Flume Slide Trail and then head up Liberty in the morning. I will hike up FW and meet them on Little Haystack to give them a few items and then hike the ridge with them. They will try to make Galehead on Friday so that means crossing 302 rather late on Saturday. I’m doing some trail work on Webster Cliff so I will have my cell on to see if they need a ride into town to re-supply if they reach 302 before I leave.

I had a great hike with Seema and Brian yesterday...details below.

I started up the Lonesome Lake Trail at 7:45am and reached North Kinsman by about 11:00. I had no idea how close or far they might be from me on the Kinsman Ridge Trail, so I stuck around on the summit for...well, about 3 hours (we need a new list - summit lounging with a two-hour minimum!). Met Adventurous on the summit, along with other thru-hikers. I finally ambled over to South Kinsman, and hung out there for about...2+ hours (2 down, 46 to go!). Turns out that Seema and Brian had a really challenging day in the mud, so were behind schedule. But, alas, they reached South Kinsman at about 5:30pm and we had a nice summit snack - grapes, chocolate tangerine cookies, pineapple mango juice, and Swiss chocolate :) Left the summit at about 6pm, saw beautiful golden light over the Franconia ridge, and descended most of Fishin Jimmy in the dark (with headlamps). At 9:45pm, we parted ways at the hut as I hiked down Lonesome Lake trail to my car and they were going to hike out and camp near the Liberty trailhead.

Message from Seema for all who plan to hike with them in the Whites: (paraphrased) "I did get faster - 1.5 mph for awhile, but in the Whites I'm back to 1 mph - be warned!" It is also worth mentioning that they tend to night-hike frequently...almost every day.

Seema and Brian are in fantastic spirits, enjoying the gorgeous weather, and planned to stay at Garfield Ridge campsite or camp nearby tonight (at least that's what I heard them talking about...though perhaps Galehead is still their goal - MadRiver should know when he gets home tonight).

-katie

Last edited:
bunchberry said:
I...well, about 3 hours (we need a new list - summit lounging with a two-hour minimum!). I finally ambled over to South Kinsman, and hung out there for about...2+ hours (2 down, 46 to go!).

I think that Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman have already completed the "2+ hours hanging around on each summit of the NH48 list." :D

Go Seema and Brian! Those trails will begin drying out now, I think.

Got to Little Haystack summit around 10:00am and chatted with everyone while waiting for Seema and Brian. Most of my conversations were explaining why I was wearing a kilt. S&B arrived around 1:30pm so Katie wins this round of summit lounging. I then hiked the ridge with both S&B, but mainly with Seema since Brian hung back and chatted with a guy who works across the street from him. I said my goodbyes around 3:45pm and headed down. They still plan to hike to Galehead where I showed them a nice place to camp ¼ mile passed Galehead that I discovered this past winter. Be advised, if you offered to help them re-supply or put them up Saturday night, you will have to hike in to meet them rather than wait in your car since they will not be at 302 until late.