Your Terminal List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your Terminal List?

• Total voters
I also do not think that VFTT has made me a list person - I came here because I was doing a list and wanted to learn more and meet other hikers. Now that I have done the 48 I am much more into hiking for the sake of hiking...

=dug
If anything, I think I have been DISCOURAGED from pursuing lists. ...the more I hear about lists the less I personally like them.

I think I have gone full circle. Before "the internet" I hiked here and there, found the 4k list and completed it. Found "the internet" and the desire to do more lists became strong. Hiked more lists. Then more and more I had less desire and recent posts (aka 'summit registers', 'owls head', 'hancocks') convinced me that I am done with lists. So I'm back to hiking here and there. :)

Can't say I started hiking because of the www. started as a way to travel to places I'd not been too. Knew people who had been or trying to see all the MLB ballparks so that idea was taken. Had loved the outdoors as a kid, liked hunting as a teen - 25 or so but had decided I like the outdoor aspect of it better than the shooting aspect. Hiking seemed a natural thing to do.

I'm a view junkie & the highest peaks have views. Some don't had read in the back of the WMG about the 4K club so after doing a bunch of the higher peaks (over 1/2) dong the rest seemed like an idea.

If there is a list I'll try & finish that I have not really looked at yet, it'll probably be the 52 With a View. I'm closing in on the NH 48 in the rain too. :(

I think the only real list I'll pursue is the NH/VT(ok its not a real list, but im gonna do all 5)4K's, maybe the ME/NY(probably a less intense pace than the ones I do now, maybe trip or two a year) ones as well. Otherwise I think I'll end up doing above "treeline" 3k's(once again technically not above treeline, but Moats, Chocurua were great hikes, so Cardigan, Sandwich Dome are appealing as well) and revisiting the peaks I have done when I finish the VT/NH 4k's.

I am not sure that the bushwacks to viewless summits is that appealing

also its kind of weird to finish the 4K's, and now be "working up" to 3k's, maybe its the ex-jock(likes increasing challenges, trying to travel longer distances, faster paces, etc.) and the view lover(wooded 3k's!?!) in me double teaming the collector(although he gets some say, afterall I do pag pne level of peaks), but it seems like a step back in terms of progress, especially with the view factor, as lots of 3k's are wooded

Wow, I suddenly sound like a split personality!

But in all seriousness, this has been a fun thread, some new perspectives to go with all that people had to say in my thread(thanks for responding everyone!) about peakbagging level theories.

I don't think that discussions here of lesser known lists will make much difference on the usage. In speaking with other hikers I've met, I've gotten the impression that even in the hiking community, only a small percentage of hikers know about and read these forums. We are a small but enthusiastic bunch, aren't we?

Last edited:
I'd guess that the people on this bbs & AMC's bbs equal 15 or less of those people hiking. 40% of all those who hike Owl's Head in the winter but 2 or less out of a couple of 100 that might climb Washington or Franconia Ridge on any giving weekend day

The lists are interesting, and I find them useful as an information resource. But mostly I hike wherever I feel like it, and have a tendency to revist hikes that I find appealing--hence it seems highly unlikely that I will ever complete any lists.

influence

I wouldn't say VFTT has influenced me to do any lists. I was already working on the 46 before I joined.
But, I would say it does influence where and when I hike. Even if it's just reading the trail conditions. If reports come back that the high peaks is a muddy mess, then I'll hike somewhere elese.
Sometimes, I'll find out about neat little bushwacks. Like Bennies Brook slide in Daks or Little Ashokan from Ashokan High peak in the Catskills.
So, there is an influence.

AlG said:
I don't think that discussions here of lesser known lists will make much difference on the usage. In speaking with other hikers I've met, I've gotten the impression that even in the hiking community, only a small percentage of hikers know about and read these forums. We are a small but enthusiastic bunch, aren't we?

agreed, a lot of my hiking friends haven't heard of this site, others are vaguely aware and use it for conditions only, and most of these folks are very active hikers

though some seem interested when myself or others in our circle discuss it, and seem to want to start using this site, so be aware young AMCNHers will soon be taking over!! :D

I actually have a list of things I want to do before I die. It's not a hiking list, its really an activity list. Things like, hike in Peru, take scuba lessons, learn to kayak, etc.

I'll probably never finish the list as I keep adding to it. I guess that's my terminal list.

That being said, I've enjoyed hiking the ADK46. VFTT didn't influence me to hike that list but it definitely has accelerated my upcoming completion. It especially kept me going in the winter when I didn't want to hike solo, but with the site it was easy to find a partner for the weekend.

For me the thrill of the outdoors is all about the thrill of adventure. When I started the 46, mountain hiking was relatively new to me. I had no idea if I could complete the goal or not, but would have fun trying. Now I'm pretty sure I could make it up any list with trailed routes. I'm pretty strong willed and somehow someway I find a way to make it to the top. Bushwacking on the other hand would be a completely new adventure as the orienteering aspect would take over.

I also like what Carole said about trail work. I'd like to give back a little... "Checking off" 46 hours of trail work would be pretty cool.

-Shayne

to list or not to list

My hiking motivations have changed with time... Thirty years ago I hiked to summits as fast as I could and was often annoyed by my wife who always wanted to stop to look at the pretty flowers, rocks and views. Now, I don't have Spencer's depth of knowledge regarding forests, but I enjoy identifying different species and appreciate the changes with elevation and conditions; I'm definitely not at Arghman's skill level in botony, but I love the stunning beauty of mountain flowers.
In a recent post, Neil listed ten reasons why he bushwacked...a very eloquent summation [I think he and I must be identical twins who were separated at birth]. But most of all it's FUN, FUN, FUN!
I encourage any enjoyment of the outdoors [listing or not, trail hiking or bushwhacking, 4000 fters or 3000 fters, even snowmobiling and hunting], in the hope that more people will have their lives enriched as mine has been.

List-o-mania

It's quite amusing to me to notice how many here claim that VFTT doesn't have any effect on their behaviour or the lists they pursue......

even though they spend lots of time discussing them here and when they finish a list post about it and bask in the attention it gets them :p

I would say this is taking the phenomena of "denial" to new heights, wouldn't you? (Please forgive my pun! :D)

OK, Drum roll please....... what do we call this? List-o-mania!

List-o-mania comes in many forms...... could be a feeling of “needing” a peak, or an overwhelming need to categorize, qualify, or spreadsheet ones climbs, a desire to make up or follow arbitrary seasonal rules for climbing mountains, a desire to talk about lists, to join clubs that require lists or promote them, to substitute mountains for ( fill in the blanks), to deny one is working on a list while one is, to seek out the company of other list-o-maniacs, etc. Actually the symtoms of List-o-mania can found all over VFTT and so far it seems to be contagious...... uh oh, getting itchy..... #@%*.... getting goosebumps.....

Damn, where’s that list I had of New York and New Jersey county highpoints?????? :eek: ;)

Other lists

I have little doubt that I will eventually finish the 4000-footers, but I am learning to focus on more details, like identifying trees, plants, and watch for wildlife. I have little desire to pursue bushwhacking any hundred highest lists, however, I would consider the 50 Finest(most prominent peaks above a saddle with a higher peak). I also might then try to hike to a list of new england waterfalls, preferably at times of high water like spring and right now!

Maybe we should do as the "Munroists" do in Scotland. Although there are a handful of 4ks in Scotland, there is but one list...the list of Munros, the peaks over 3,000 feet. Sir Hugh Munro assembled the list in 1891. Since then it has changed slightly from time to time, just as our Northeast U.S. lists have changed with new maps and measurements. There are something like 284 Munros. That's the list. Period. No hundred-highest, county high points, prominence lists, tower lists, or anything else. There's no debate about depth of cols, either. There IS no minimum col. No argument about 200' or 300' cols, minimum .75 mile distance between peaks, or any other minutia.

Following the Scots' example, we would have but one list here in the Northeast, the generally agreed-to 3k list of 770 peaks. (Whose name should we attach to it? Who's our Munro??!) We could choose from a huge variety of peaks with trails, bushwhack peaks, 6k, 5ks, 4ks, 3ks whatever, each one another notch in the 770. How liberating! Instead of 46r #4856, for example, I could say I'm at 215...only 555 left! How humbling!

jt

Last edited:
Well, Im doing the NH 4ks, but Im not, how can I say, extremly devout to the list. My sister and I have basically been just plain old hiking with a couple of 4ks in the mix. Once that list is done Im just gonna hike my will, meaning its gonna be "Hey sis, I opened up the WMNF guide and decided we are going up to Mt Resolution"....or something like that. Ive got no problem with lists or anyone doing lists. Obviously I am on one. But for me Ive gotten used to just picking a spot on a map and deciding to visit it.
Brian

Actually right now - I am kind of ad-hoc working on pressies by every route to summit. including gullies and ice climbs - this may take a while!!!

and I still have get freaking jefferson (my nemisis!!) in the winter - been so close so many times and had to turn back for weather or time or both. this is the year for sure.

I "voted" for 4K and ADKHH. My intentions with the 4K (meaning NE115 to me) are to do them if I have the opportunity, but NH and Maine are too far for me to want to really get serious about the list. I set a goal to do "over 1/2" of the 115 in Winter, and just need 1 or 2 more to achieve that.
My terminal goal for quite a few years has been to free myself from the list thing, then just look at a map for pleasant looking spots, bushwhack there, spent a night or two, and bag no peaks in the process.

Last edited:
I would have to say that VFTT has influenced me to hike lists, that is one list: the NH4Ks. I'm pretty much a newbie to hiking and backpacking; I've been hiking for about 8 years now(backpacking for 3), but I only get the opportunity to go once or twice a year. Until I joined VFTT a few months ago, I didn't even know there were lists. I just picked a place to go and then looked at my maps for a nice mountain or trail to hike. Since becoming aware of the NH4K list I've decided to try to complete it. It's motivating me to consider hiking a lot of mountains that weren't even on my radar last spring. I think that's a good thing. Though I have to admit I'm just too damn lazy to care about any of the other lists right now, and it may be years or decades till I finish the 4Ks. I hike for fun, not a sense of accomplishment, so I see the lists as kind of a guide to help me have more fun in the mountains.