Finding my way on Owl's Head, 9/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
It has been a while since I’ve posted a trip report. Nine months ago, I think….and no, new baby to talk about :eek:! Much has happened with us since my last TR, some very bad, but ultimately, some very good. My family and I have been tested to the max, and I think we did pretty well. Personally, I found out more about myself in the past year than I ever have before. I’ve learned that it’s not about what happens in your world, but it is about how you handle it.

That’s sort of how this hike came about. I wanted to return to Owl’s Head, but I could only go on Friday, 9/24. No one was available, so it was a solo day. Owl’s Head is a long day, both physically and mentally. I decided to go, and to just do the best I could. BIGEarl gave me some information on a few of the bushwhacks, thanks Earl.

There were several cars in the Lincoln Woods parking lot, but no people. It was overcast, and warm. I got right on the trail and did a quick warm up to the Black Pond Trail. The Lincoln Woods Trail was wet, and the mud pits were plentiful. I sort of zigzagged my way through, staying mostly dry. The dry ended on the Black Pond Trail. It’s narrow footway and the undergrowth was wet and in no time I was soaked. After a quick stop for a snack and some pictures at Black Pond, I set my compass bearing.

This was my first solo bushwhack, well, planned bushwhack. I’ve had a few unplanned off trail adventures, but we all have, haven’t we? I went up the hill to the left of Black Pond to bypass some of the mud holes, then followed the bearing of 335, as suggested by BIGEarl and DaveBear. This route eventually brought me to an elevation of about 2000 feet, give or take a hundred feet or so. I went through fairly open woods, but there were a few hidden mud holes. In one, I sank to about mid-calf and hoped dearly that when I pulled my leg out that my boot was still attached. DaveBear described a large boulder to me, and I think I found it, maybe halfway through the ‘whack. The bushwhack took longer than I expected. I stopped a little to frequently to check my compass. I should have trusted the route, and my own instinct that I was more or less on bearing. I’ll know better next time. Shortly after passing the BearCave, I was on the big downhill toward the Lincoln Brook Trail.

I think the bushwhack ended between a half and three-quarters of a mile before the Liberty Brook crossing. I got to the crossing, and while not difficult, the water was high enough to make things interesting. The Lincoln Brook crossing was a little easier, but not much. Most of the good stepping stones were under water. Before long, I was at the junction with the Owl’s Head slide.

It was hard to miss the junction. I had a vague idea of what the area looked like, some hazy memory from my last trip there about two years ago. There are several items marking the junction now. I took a break, filtered some water and started up the slide. It was steeper than I remember. It was also a lot longer than I recall. The lower section is very loose. A few times I slid backward about as far as I had stepped forward. I wandered back and forth on the slide, looking for the best route. Eventually, the path entered the woods. The footing improved, but it was still steep. Finally I reached the ridge and after a few minutes I was on the traditional summit. There is not much on the old summit, just the old markings on a tree. I’m sure there are some other markings, but the USFS will have to find out on their own. The herd path to the new summit is pretty well defined. I saw several paths, but followed the one that looked the most used. After seeing no one all day, I saw Jack at the new summit. I don’t know how long he’s been there but he looked good. After a snack, I turned around and began the walk out. Past the old summit and across the ridge. I reached the approximate location to begin the Brutus bushwhack and after some deliberation, I opted to go down the slide. The Black Pond bushwhack was wet and muddy, and I guessed that Brutus would be more of the same. It took roughly an hour to get from the summit to the Lincoln Brook Trail. The physical challenge was over, now the mental challenge began. Eight miles to go. There is only one way out, walk. And keep walking, don’t think about the mileage. Nearing the end of a long day is a difficult time to stay motivated, and being solo makes it more so.

I got past the stream crossings again. Just after Liberty Brook I ran into three backpackers. They were going to go to Owl’s head, then to 13 Falls. Great day and night for a backpack. It took about another hour from the Slide junction to get to the point where my earlier bushwhack ended. Soon enough I was at the crossing of Lincoln Brook. About three hops into it, I went into it. That made things easier, I just waded across. Problem solved! At the next crossing I didn’t even bother to rock hop, I just walked in and across. Keep on keeping on, reaching the junction with the Franconia Brook Trail. 1.7 miles on this trail - can I get it done in an hour? Man…I hope so! I got a little muddy here, slipping off a stone and into a mud pit…oops.

At long last, I reached the Wilderness/Lincoln Woods Trail. 2.9 miles to go….another hour? The long, straight, no view, nothing to look at, probably gonna trip on a railroad tie and land flat on my face, and no one to tell bad jokes to section. C’mon, I’m tired! I set a lap using the stopwatch function on my watch to see how long the 2.9 (ugh!) miles would take. I dug deep and picked up the pace. There were a few people on this section, looking at the sweaty muddy guy power walking down the trail. I might have been talking to myself at this point….which explains people moving out of my way the way they did :eek:. There it is, the ten minute bridge. A quick left, then the suspension bridge. This one’s in the bag! 53 minutes, 5 seconds - do you think I wanted to get off that section of trail?

Yeah, the day was a challenge. From getting up early and the long ride to the Black Pond bushwhack. I found the bushwhack to be a lot like life. Keep going forward, if something gets in the way, go around it, go over it, go under it and sometimes, just blast right through it. The slide presented it’s own challenges, it is so relentlessly steep. Digging deep to keep going. It was just as challenging to go down the slide. But it got done, as did the entire hike, just another day in the life. I wouldn’t trade any of it for anything….it has been and continues to be an unbelievable ride :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=213412&id=523928481&l=be436392ee

Last edited:
Great report. YOu make me think I can do this trip! Did you use up a lot of energy on the bushwhack?

Looks like the colors are really ramping up! Nice pics. :)

grouseking

Here is a picture of that big glacial erratic, which was to our left as we followed Earl's 335 bearing a few weeks ago. Crocwalker - on the left - is a remarkable through-hiker we met on the trail from Lincoln Woods who hiked the AT in short order a few years ago and the Long Trail earlier this summer.

994709458_inUQz-M-2.jpg

To our amazement, we encountered two ladies from Lincoln, Mass., who seemed to be heading nearly W, halfway through the 'whack. Their bushwhacking friend, who declined to accompany them on their peak-bagging hike, had recommended a bearing of 310 from Black Pond, which would eventually have taken them to Little Haystack, if they were lucky. They were happy to join us for the balance of the 'whack.

Here is my GPS track for that section, which cut off 1.5 mile from the hike from Lincoln Woods (7.5 v. 9 miles):

997023402_vfYdV-M.jpg

Nice TR Bobby, I believe that a hike to Owl's Head is one that answers a lot of questions for oneself, and gives us a great deal of clarity. Enjoyable read!

Nice trip reports and pics. :)

Great report. YOu make me think I can do this trip! Did you use up a lot of energy on the bushwhack?

Looks like the colors are really ramping up! Nice pics. :)

grouseking

Thanks! I didn't over exert on the BW, I just stopped far to often to check my bearing. It really is a nice spot for off trail experience.

Thanks Marty - it seems like life's adventrures keep popping up, don't they?

Amicus - I saw your post on Rocks and attempted to follow your route. My course took me straight into the glacial erratic - in fact, it was one of the highlights of the day when I found it. It gave me a boost knowing that I was on a good line. If I had a GPS, I would have use the BW for the return trip.

Fisher Cat - Owl's Head is one of those trips that challenge mentally and physically. I found being solo made it more so. It was a beautiful hike, but at times it was difficult to stay motivated and upbeat, especially later in the day.

Thanks Maddy!

Good to see you have gotten out again. Solo hikes are always a great way to clear your head.

Given the declination in the area, I am always somewhat concerned when a bushwhack gets publicized that some folks may not have the basics down on map and compass and forget to deal with the declination correction. I dont have a map at hand of the area, but I expect forgetting a 17 degree declination correction would tend to put some one on a heading that might line up with the 310 bearing mentioned by Amicus?

I realize that with GPS, map and compass skills are getting to be an arcane art but one never knows with the predicted upcoming sun spot cycle;)

I dont have a map at hand of the area, but I expect forgetting a 17 degree declination correction would tend to put some one on a heading that might line up with the 310 bearing mentioned by Amicus?

I figured that must be the case. Unless their absent friend has a nasty sense of humor, his recommended bearing of 310 must have been "true," but they were following "magnetic." A true bearing of 310 from Black Pond would probably just hit the Trail before it turns north, but with no margin for error. They had a compass, of course, but not a GPS. They both had full packs, at least, with lots of other gear.

Bobby:

I'm glad you encountered that big erratic, since it is the only landmark of that 'whack! As you noted, the woods were reasonably open, and we would have returned that way except for (1) my companion having slightly tweaked an ankle, which made him prefer the better footing of the Trail, despite the extra 1.5 mile and two big crossings, and (2) my desire for a more informative GPS track.:)

Awesome TR Bobby!!

Always a smile and positive attitude, if we could all deal with life's bumps so graciously!! :D

At long last, I reached the Wilderness/Lincoln Woods Trail. 2.9 miles to go….another hour? The long, straight, no view, nothing to look at, probably gonna trip on a railroad tie and land flat on my face, and no one to tell bad jokes to section. C’mon, I’m tired! I set a lap using the stopwatch function on my watch to see how long the 2.9 (ugh!) miles would take. I dug deep and picked up the pace. There were a few people on this section, looking at the sweaty muddy guy power walking down the trail. I might have been talking to myself at this point….which explains people moving out of my way the way they did :eek:. There it is, the ten minute bridge. A quick left, then the suspension bridge. This one’s in the bag! 53 minutes, 5 seconds - do you think I wanted to get off that section of trail?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=213412&id=523928481&l=be436392ee

he he he...I remember discussing with my hiking partners on Saturday how "nice an out this would be..." I was met with "really...I'll as you that when we get back to this point this afternoon." Yup...I was really DONE when we got back there. Those cute little railroad ties were traps just waiting to put my on my face...fortunately (this time) I won!

Anyone have GPS waypoints for the bushwhacks? I know, I know. That's cheating. I will bring a compass and use the GPS to confirm I'm not heading for Liberty.

If your gps gives you elevation or you carry an altimeter you can use that along with your compass to guide you to Lincoln Brook Trail. If you hike the 335 True North bearing you will not go over 2050 elevation. When people ask me I give a more conservative bearing in than I actually use. Conversely you would want to use one that is more easterly on the way out. I track in on 325 true and this bearing starts from a fire ring on a ridge spine above the swamp after the trail ends. Once I am up to 2000 ft I follow the elevation which swings me a little further east until I cross the skid road. From here you can see the spruces on the steep bank up ahead and if you swing just east of the spruces and straight ahead you drop down the bank where it is not as steep and come out on Lincoln Brook Trail a short ways from the bend.

Coming out is trickier and it is more important to keep track of your bearing to keep from coming down on the Fisherman's Whack by dropping east early or staying too high and heading for Birch Island Brook. If you sit down with your map and try looking at the bearing southbound it is clear that it depends where you start your whack and best to be a bit east. My bearing is 145 to 150 true but from where I leave the trail.

Amicus your gps plot looks further west than 335 true. Will it generate the average bearing of that section and how was the north end of your route?

Last edited:
Amicus your gps plot looks further west than 335 true. Will it generate the average bearing of that section and how was the north end of your route?

Right you are. Our average bearing was 319 true (c. 335 mag) - we used a compass as well as my GPS. I borrowed that bearing from BIGEarl, and it took us down to the Trail at a point .5 mile west of the big Lincoln Brook crossing, as we learned on our return. The north end was a bit of a drop, as you can see from the contours, but the woods were reasonably open and the footing decent, so none of us (5 at that point) struggled with it.

Bobbie: Apologies for contributing to a bit of a diversion. I know well the therapeutic value of a long solo hike when life is less than ideal and am glad this worked for you.