Looking For Some Ideas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
Recently, I’ve been doing some “what if” thinking. There’s a good possibility others have considered this topic for various reasons and have some thoughts to offer.

Here’s the question I’m working through: What if I stopped hiking?

I realize everybody is different and have their own personal reasons for hiking and their approach to it. There are also different reasons for stopping.

I’d be very interested in learning some of these varying opinions.

A related follow-on question: What’s next?

Thanks.

:)

I've tried to limit my amount of hiking to become better at my other hobbies (summer: MTB, Downhill MTB, Rock Climbing, Winter: Snowboarding, XC ski) and every time I find myself making plans to go hiking on the weekend anyways...

If I do stop hiking, I realize that I will revert back to truly big and slow very quickly and I am deathly afraid of that.

I was genuinely concerned about my losing desire to hike once I finished the 46/115. Instead I found finishing only made it worse, now instead of trying to get individual peaks for a list, I find myself making the hike itself the goal (and the hikes have gotten more and more difficult). Which also brings me to something interesting I've found about hiking. I don't think it ever gets easier; when you first start, you're slow, it's tough but you push through. As I've gotten better instead of doing those same hikes that were slow and tough we're either going faster, farther, or both.

As far as what's next:
Biking (in all of its forms)
Padding (tons of options here too)
Rock Climbing
Running/Trail Running (not for me!)
Fishing
Snow Sports (Ski,Snowboard,XC)
<sarcasm> golf </sarcasm>

I've been forced to stop hiking this year due to back issues. I have degenerative disc disease and it finally caught up to me this winter. The best I can do now is to shuffle along very slowly on flat ground for 1-2 miles.

The only "next step" under consideration at present is an eventual return to hiking. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying everyone's trip reports, especially the photos.

From reading all of your reports, BIGEarl, I don't think you will ever stop hiking.

The last couple years I've done a lot less hiking and a lot more running and skiing. They seem to scratch a related set of itches, and I don't have to drive as much to do them.

I don't foresee myself ever *stopping* hiking unless I have to, but I wouldn't mind going less often if I have another satisfying and physically demanding alternative.

What keeps me getting out so much lately is my kids; they both really enjoy it, and I don't know a better way to spend a whole day (or week) doing something together. Maybe when they're a little bigger we'll start doing some river trips together to fill the same need.

Interesting -- I have never faced this question and hiking is the most body friendly activity I participate in ( for my body) and I find that like bignslow, I balance hiking between my other outdoor hobbies - biking , trail running, and skiing.

If I had to give up hiking-- which I use most of my free time for, I am most likely to replace it with dog sports: agility and herding.

Earl,
This is an excellent topic and one that I have pondered from time to time, especially after I tore up my knee.

During the warmer months, I would concentrate on fishing and kayaking, potentially done together. This would include walks to remote trout streams and ponds. Oh, and mountain biking in the woods too!

During the cooler months, I would snowshoe if I could, go to a few Patriots games, watch more NFL football on TV and escape to warmer climes for a week or two, to soak up the sun.

Looking forward to seeing more responses.

Regards,
Marty

Last edited:
Foot still bothering you?

I'm biking since my size make running to achie and sore on the joints.

Rowing/paddeling is nice.

Water running.

Long walks on the beach. :)

A very timely question for me, Earl.

Since I've been under treatment for leukemia (since last December), my hiking has been severely curtailed, and all I can really manage is about 1500'/4 hours or so. I'm progressing, but the future is not 100% certain and I must say hiking is what I'd miss most of all if I weren't able to get back to it.

I hike because I love nature and there is so much to see even in a weed patch. I also enjoy the tiredness after a strenuous day, even the aches and pains. Last but not least, the summit and the views are a pleasure I'd sorely miss.

I will never stop hiking voluntarily, but if and when the day comes, I know I can enjoy the flora and fauna as long as my mental capacity doesn't abandon me even though my physical ability is curtailed. That's one ray of hope, but a good one.

Foot injuries have stopped me from hiking two of the last three years so I was even unable to do a lot of activities that other people have listed. Nature photography has always been a love of mine and the injuries provided opportunities to get deeper into my camera work. I also had it in mind to take up kayaking but have not taken the plunge just yet.

JohnL

Since I broke my leg four years ago, I haven't been able to do as much as I used to. I pretty much do the same stuff, just smaller and easier versions.

For instance, last Friday I went for a walk/hike in the Walden Pond/Fairhaven Bay area (Concord and Lexington, MA) with a couple of friends. 7.5 mi and 290 vert ft in ~4hrs.

It was a pleasant day and I only had to drive 15 min to get to the trailhead. For me, that I do something is more important than what I do...

Doug

Does Sue know you are asking this question? ;) I had to take off almost a year with the Plantar Fasciitis, and am now just getting my legs back. If I had to quit, I'm not sure what I would do as an alterative. Probably ride my bike more, and do more xc skiing, which would be odd that I could ski, yet not hike.

Foot still bothering you?
No. In fact, with the recent changes I made the discomfort is generally under control. It's not gone but at a level that I can tolerate.

I'm just considering the fact that, like it or not, all good things must end.

:(

It's very helpful to have a little additional insight through the thoughts of others.

I would probably expand my photography hobby, do as much bicycling as my body permitted (if it did), use the novelty of being home on weekends to get through all those do-it-yourself projects on the house (and invent new ones), and invest myself more into the community where I live.

It would suck, but I'd just have to take it in stride just as I've taken other changes in my life, including those that brought me to hiking in the first place. I actually don't want to be the same person my entire life, and would use the impetus of having to stop one activity to start something new.

I guarantee I would not turn into a "Best In Show" character.

You don't stop hiking because you get old, you get old because you stop hiking.

:D

Hiking, biking, skiing, photography, and running have all taking up a good chunk of my time over the years, but I plan on doing all of them at some level as I'm forced to reduce the intensity levels.

A good question as I ponder the state my knees are in.

First I gave up competitive running, than I've partially retired from refereeing soccer. So eventually I'm sure I will have to cut down on hiking, you only get one pair of knees.

I'd certainly stay as active as possible, but in recent years I've spent more time playing the piano and I've gotten started painting with water colors.

Wow, I can't imagine pulling up VFTT and not seeing trip reports from BigEarl.....it would be a sad day.

My days are numbered with my knee issues as well. Taping and braces will get me by for now, but additional surgery will be required at some point. I've thought about this as well. I guess, cycling is something I may turn to, to keep in shape. But, I ain't taking up golf until I turn 70!

hike on BigEarl
Petch

I hike because I love nature and there is so much to see even in a weed patch. I also enjoy the tiredness after a strenuous day, even the aches and pains. Last but not least, the summit and the views are a pleasure I'd sorely miss.

I will never stop hiking voluntarily, but if and when the day comes, I know I can enjoy the flora and fauna as long as my mental capacity doesn't abandon me even though my physical ability is curtailed. That's one ray of hope, but a good one.

This rings true for me as well. I love being in the woods for all kinds of reasons, and I imagine that my physical ability to do so will change over time. I hope to continue to enjoy the woods at whatever level I am able for as long as I can.

What a great thread!

I have had periods of time when life got in the way and I had to take a hiatus but in my mind it was exactly that...a hiatus.

I had plantar fascitis but worked ~48+ hrs a week as an ICU nurse and hiked on my time off in severe pain for ~2 years. It was nasty! I finally found someone who made me great orthotics and a doc who treated it with steroids and then physiotherapy. Miracle of miracles. Once I got myself to the right professionals my symptoms disappeared, and I keep them at bay by getting orthotic adjustments when it starts to flare. I believe some now use shockwave therapy also.

Degenerative disk disease, and my bum injured knee have also given me cause to greatly modify my adventures. The back is now symptom free with PT+ weight loss. My knee injury has given me a run for my money over these last 5 years. At one time what should have been a 10" walk would take me 1 hour. I refused to accept that I was defeated. I did the 10" walk and tried not to whine too much.

I re-injured that same knee yesterday. I called campground reservations in tears thinking I might have to cancel. The guy was so nice and supportive. Lots of ice, elevation, Naprosyn, etc and seems like it's starting to turn the corner. I think if I take it slow and easy I might be able to do lots of the hikes that some of you recommended to me.

I might have to do the things I enjoy with a support brace rather than just using a knee strap but I will do whatever it takes keep hiking until I drop. I am not a quad, I have no terrible degenerative muscular or neurologic disease, and I have not suffered a devastating stroke, so it's ever onward and upward. My pack might be lighter, my trails not as steep and long, but one thing is certain, I will not quit. I have to say that I got myself better with little or no help from the medical community who for the most part just blew me off. If I had abided their treatment plan, I would most likely be in a wheelchair dying of inertia.

I had to do the research and found the pedorthist. podiatrist, and PT who finally helped me. Yes...truth be told my orthopod was 100% useless. He treated me like an old person but the likes of him was not going to stop me.

I have other "hobbies" but my outdoor activities are my life. I will ski again perhaps only easy terrain with a good brace, but it will be a happening thing. I love to snowshoe, bike dirt roads and rural roads.

In his book A Dog's Purpose, Cameron wrote
“Failure isn’t an option if success is just a matter of more effort.”
Much like the invincible Iditarod racer, the late Susan Butcher, "I do not know the word quit. Either I never did or have abolished it from my language."
Modify yes, quit no.

It's never too late. I waited 30 years to have the guts to call and sign up for my Outward Bound course. Completed it at the age of 61. As one of my leaders told me "It's not what happens to you in life but rather what you do with it that matters." A Bonds traverse might never be in the cards for me but there is a whole world of hikes out there just waiting for us. Fast. slow, strong, or weak. Something for everyone so we can enjoy what is near and dear to our hearts for a long time to come. :)

Last edited: