Hunting season for deer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Just a reminder that hunting season for deer by muzzleloader opened yesterday in NH and regular firearm season opens in a couple of weeks. I realize bear season has already been open but the deer season puts much more hunters in the woods. Despite the hunter's safety training and all the public annoucements it seems people and animals get hurt or killed each year. Thor's tail curls up and is quite white from the rear view so at a quick glance he could be mistaken for a white-tail. My wife and I were talking yesterday about whether he would tolerate a safety orange bandanna tied on each end!;)

Last edited:
Different dates in NH, VT, ME, NY, NJ, MA and CT.
You can check your dates on the F&G sites in each state.
Good idea to wear some blaze orange, don't show white, brown or black if possible.
I try to pick trailheads where the trail starts going uphill quickly and keeps going up.
For bushwhackers, be aware that you are more likely to surprise hunters than when hiking trails.
Be sure your canine hiking companions have a orange vest and add a bell if possible.

Different dates in NH, VT, ME, NY, NJ, MA and CT.
You can check your dates on the F&G sites in each state.
It's fairly easy to avoid rifle deer season entirely by doing a little driving, also note no Sunday hunting in MA and ME

Deer hunting is also illegal at night :)
For bushwhackers, be aware that you are more likely to surprise hunters than when hiking trails.
Unfortunately low-elevation bushwhacks are most of what I do these days

My wife and I were talking yesterday about whether he would tolerate a safety orange bandanna tied on each end!;)

There are quite a number of blaze-orange dog jackets on the market - also very helpful if you walk your dog at night - in case Thor isn't please with the idea of using his tail as a flag-pole. Even some decent ones to be had for cheap.

Do you-all just wear lots of orange and head on out? Was hoping for a midweek hike in western ME or the Whites but a bit nervous. Wondering what everyone else does...

Yes. I wore an orange shirt, had a red pack, and even an orange Buff as a head-band covering my white hair (as with Thor's tail, I don't want to be mistaken, but I'm not going to color my hair.)

Roy, It's interesting how far into the evening a hunter can push when night is. I actually have had a red dot appear on my clothes one time and quietly reached up and turned on my headlamp to make it go away! I dealt with it as an honest mistake and chalked up part of that to my hiking in the dark without my headlamp on.

Roy, It's interesting how far into the evening a hunter can push when night is. I actually have had a red dot appear on my clothes one time and quietly reached up and turned on my headlamp to make it go away! I dealt with it as an honest mistake and chalked up part of that to my hiking in the dark without my headlamp on.

There are also people other than hunters in the woods who are armed. Backwoods cultivation of plants that never make it to farmers' markets is a bigger issue out West, but it occurs here in New England as well. "Let's be careful out there."

There are also people other than hunters in the woods who are armed. Backwoods cultivation of plants that never make it to farmers' markets is a bigger issue out West, but it occurs here in New England as well. "Let's be careful out there."
Lucky for us hikers,that limited "growing"season is over in our area thanks to the cold.Terrible problem out west though,ecological damage due to illegal grows is very sad.Especially considering any outdoor grow in Cali parks is done by criminals and not patients[who can cultivate at home under Cali law].Have heard stories about lost hikers in Maine finding illicit crops but not here in N.H.[Whites].Nice thing about the Whites is that one can hike year around with out too many problems.

Do you-all just wear lots of orange and head on out? Was hoping for a midweek hike in western ME or the Whites but a bit nervous. Wondering what everyone else does...

I'm old fashioned and prefer scarlet red garments and try not to worry too much, of course I'm probably more likely to get shot than if I wore blaze orange- but that's what I'm most comfortable in. Like has been stated before, the higher elevations are not good deer habitat, although quite a few of my friends work the high ground out behind Randolph Hill in this neighborhood.

Most hunting accidents are amongst members of the same party. And this nonchalance from a guy who has had 5 semi-auto rounds from a hunter rip the brush less than 3 feet from his leg while rounding a bend on a woods road.

One thing about bright red - During the spring turkey season, bright red and bright blue mimics the colors on tom turkeys. Fluorescent greens and oranges don't mimic anything in the natural woods. Just sayin'.

I'm old fashioned and prefer scarlet red garments and try not to worry too much, of course I'm probably more likely to get shot than if I wore blaze orange- but that's what I'm most comfortable in.
While other colors (eg nuclear yellow) may be more visible in low light, hunters expect people to be wearing blaze orange. Cheap vests and caps are readily available at many places (eg Wallymart). FWIW, I use a blace orange vest and cap.

I also turn my headlamp on as it begins to get dark even if I don't need it yet. Talking or singing might be a good idea too (and will also scare off the bears... :) ). Or one could wear bear bells. (As I understand it they don't scare bears off--hopefully they will scare hunters off...)

Doug

Go to state where hunting is illegal that day
Go to place where hunting is illegal, Audubon sanctuary, MDI, etc.
Hike well after dark
Hike above treeline or on wide trails with lots of hikers
Carry large flashlight and boom box :)

Generally most hunters dont go much more than one mile in the woods from a way of getting their kill out and many tend to stay in lot closer. Usually if you make it past that first mile, you wont see any hunters.

Unstrung

Many valid points to consider from responses to your question. I don't think you should totally avoid the forests & mountains during the daylight hours, just like with everything we do in life- take steps to mitigate risk.

Back to your question; just wear a bunch of blaze orange, unlike a fool like me (I do admit to wearing a blaze orange hat on opening and closing day of rifle season). Just be prudent if you see a bunch of pickup trucks w/ empty gun racks at the 'Squiggly Brook Meadows' trailhead, continue on to hike option 2. And most importantly since you live in ME, don't wear white mittens when hanging your laundry outside.