The end of a long journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
On March 19, 2003, I hiked Pierce and Eisenhower with a friend. It seemed a perfectly routine hike at the time. Little did I know ...

That evening I felt unusual pain in my back. I know all about the aches and pains that a senior hiker gets, but this was without doubt different. So I rested for a week. Soon I felt well enough to resume hiking, though at the back of my mind I was worried ... at my age new and unusual pains are not a good sign.

True enough, on June 24 I was hiking Osceola alone when I felt agonizing shooting pains down both legs. It took me a couple of hours to return to my car; it had taken me less than half an hour to go up.

An MRI showed spinal stenosis, and the first treatment was an epidural steroid injection. It was effective, and the pain was substantially diminished. A pattern quickly developed: a few months with almost no pain, then mild pain, then increasing pain, leading to an injection that would decrease the pain markedly.

The lesion would have required fairly major surgery (including spinal fusion) and two surgeons agreed that, given my good response to the epidural steroids, surgery was not indicated.

This winter my hiking ability went down, lots of Tecumseh, Pierce, Waumbeck and similar toy 4Ks, almost no "real" 4Ks. I attributed it to ageing, an inevitable happening.

Then on March first I found my left quad extremely weak; going up the stairs was an expedition. The stenosis, which had been affecting the pain nerves, had now started pressing on the nerves to the muscles. That obviously called for surgery. Spinal surgeons are busy people, and it took about six weeks to schedule the surgery. During those six weeks I walked as little as possible, losing strength in both legs and losing whatever fitness I still had.

After surgery the doctor told me to exercise as much as I felt able to, but with the proviso of no hiking, or other activity that might bend or twist my spine. Walking and physical therapy for the legs was OK.

So over the last ten weeks I increased the weights on my ankles in the strengthening exercises, increased the distance and steepness of my walks, and added StairMaster as I felt that walking was rather different from hiking.

I am just back in Thornton from a visit to the doctor in Boston. He is very pleased with the healing of my spine, and amazed how much muscle I have put on my previously totally flabby left quad.

Tomorrow I go for my first hike since 2/28/09.

Life is good!!!!!

Way to go Mohamed..the recovery road can be long and arduous but goals (such as hiking) help define the path

have a great day tomorrow on what might be the first really sunny day in awhile!!

Last edited:
Good for you Mohamed! You've beaten it yet again, as we all try to do. That's one more great thing about us hikers, the motivation to get back up there.

Soon you'll be hiking those toy summits again - Pat and I would surely like to join you. It's been way too long.

Good luck tomorrow Mo and let us know how you made out.

Cheers, Stu

I understand.

Enjoy tomorrow. Live life. Be grateful.

And then say a little thank you to those skilled hands that put us back together.

And then say a little thank you to those skilled hands that put us back together.
Thank you for reminding me.

A HUGE "Thank you" to Christopher M. Bono, M.D., Chief, Orthopedic Spine Center, Brigham and Women's Hospital, who put Humpty Dumpty together again!

And many thanks to Hsien-Pin Chiu, PT who treated his 70+ year old patient as a recovering athlete, rather than a geriatric patient.

I sometimes don't know who to thank more. The neurosurgeon who successfully did my brain surgery or the physical therapist who understands my passion for the woods, my need to be in the woods. My PT thinks I'll be writing trip reports from the mountains in 2010 and I'm holding him (and me) to it!:D Both are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

Go gettem on that mountain!

Mohammed, your next real hike is the end of a long side trip, and the beginning of a new journey for you.

Best wishes ...

G.

Good luck, Mohammed! I hope to read of you doing many more great hikes. :)

Sorry to hear how bad you were Mo. Glad to hear you are mending well and wish you best of luck on getting back out in the woods again. Long trails like you were 20 again would be my wish for you. :)

Keith

I expect to meet up with you on the trails soon, coming around a corner in deep discussion about philosophy. :)