50 high points in 50 states

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikem'all

Reaction score
Is their anyone doing the 50 high points in 50 states. This is something I started a few years back with my kids and I'm up to twenty now. I don't know anyone who is doing them but would love to here from someone who is or who would love to start. I am 37 years old and don't have any time set in doing them just want to finish before it's to late. Just joined the Highpointers club last week and just wondering how popular this is.

hikem'all said:
Is their anyone doing the 50 high points in 50 states. This is something I started a few years back with my kids and I'm up to twenty now. I don't know anyone who is doing them but would love to here from someone who is or who would love to start. I am 37 years old and don't have any time set in doing them just want to finish before it's to late. Just joined the Highpointers club last week and just wondering how popular this is.

There are a lot of us on this board working on this list. I am stuck at 49 (guess which one remains, despite two attempts?). I co-organized the annual HP Konvention in NH back in 2005, which was a lot of fun, as were the other two HP Konventions that I attended (Washington and Hawai'i). Far fewer folks have completed all 50 state high points than have summited Mount Everest. But, I do not think that it is ever too late to work on a list! :)

I'm a highpointer too... it's lots of fun and we've been to many places across the country that we never would have visited otherwise.

I'm at 39 right now... with a little luck I'll visit number 40 in September. :) 49 will be the highest I'll ever go though, as Denali is definitely out of league.

- Ivy

Well, I'm working on the 50 high points minus 400 feet list. (To say, it was a wonderful experience but I have no intention of going back to summit Denali!) :D

Seven to go: Hawaii, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, and Minnesota. It's been a lot of fun.

Reactions: arm
Last year while on vacation in Ohio, I drove to within 50' of the OH state highpoint. Later that same day we walked the edge of a cornfield to the IN highpoint! Should have saved these two for L-A-T-E-R in life...

rocket21 said:
Rhode Island? :)

At one time Rhode Island was certainly the most dangerous (I got chased off at the end of a shot gun), but it is much safer now with new land owners, who allow High Pointers to cross their land between 8 am and 4 pm. :)

There are a couple more 49/50 members here but I'll let them speak for themselves.

I was a member of the Highpointers back when Jakk was running things and dues were $5, and I went to the VT Konvention and met many of the founders. I let my membership expire when a later president pulled a slimy trick.

I have been to (just counted) 34 but haven't been to any new ones in a decade and may never do any more. There are 6 left that I would consider reasonable hikes for me but they are all W of the Great Lakes, 6 drive-ups that I will bag if I ever drive by, and 4 that I would need some level of expert help to climb.

There are many fine peaks on this list and many fine members of the Klub and I wish you well.

Start planning your Alaska trip. A friend managed 49 high points (and then all 50 low points), but never made it up Denali.

Last edited:
I've read that the ones in Montana and Wyoming each have their own contingent of people who argue they are the hardest ones to do. Both apparently are long hikes (45 miles for the one in Wyoming) with technical rock/ice climbing necessary. Even though it is crazy-tall, I don't recall reading that Denali requires technical climbing.

Technetium said:
I don't recall reading that Denali requires technical climbing.

I think it depends on what you call "technical" - Denali, Rainier and to a lesser extent, Hood may not be technical as in vertical, but your on steep snow, roped up, and if someone falls in a crack, you better know how to get them out. So - maybe not technical per se, but you have to have technical skills to safely climb them, might not use them but need them - if that makes sense. :D

" and if someone falls in a crack, you better know how to get them out"

depends on who it is. if its gooly i say let em go!!!!
:D

Just did Borah and Kings a couple of weeks ago to bump my total up to 43 (plus Washington DC and Puerto Rico for a little extra credit). To this point, it really has been the highlight of my outdoor pursuits - nothing else even really comes close and that includes the "major" Northeast lists.

Seven tough ones to go ... CA, OR, WA, MT, WY, HI and AK. Got the rest of my life to finish 'em but hope to get most of them in over the next few years.

:cool:

Not a 50 state highpointer but recently successfully climbed Gannett in WY and Elbert in CO during a west side stint with TMax... I will climb the nicer high pointers and not go running in a corn field or driving to some street corner so I'm a 'selective 50 high pointer' and no, I don't know how many I've done but I'm slowly working my way though the west side of the states...

Jay